1858banner

Author Topic: A variation on the period six-pack cartridge box  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
A variation on the period six-pack cartridge box
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »
I wanted some of the cartridge boxes as made and sold by capandball, but made for my "pull tab" cartridges.  Here's the result.  I drilled straight down a ways to a diameter of around .460" then used a smaller drill to punch down to the length of the cartridge, leaving just a little of the bullet sticking out.  A section of a reamer originally made for a guitar or cello end pin was used to cut a taper from the major diameter to the minor diameter at the bottom, to roughly match the taper of the cartridge.  The lid was drilled using a half inch ball end mill, then the tab slits were cut using a Dremel tool.  The lid is hinged to the lower portion of the box using a piece of brown denim glued to the back.  The wood is Poplar, on recommendation from some other members here.  It's light and it works nicely.  The matchbox type exterior shell was made from some cardboard spacer material taken out of a canned pet food case carton.  The label is a sort of "creative anachronism", using period vernacular but detailing the more modern components, printed on self adhesive label paper.

A few of these six packs carried in shirt or coat pockets, in addition to my 40 round belt box, will provide enough ammo, at a minimum weight load, for a decent day of shooting on the move.  The cartridges contain enough lube to keep the bore free of buildup and keep the gun running.

No flask, no shooting table, no bags of wads, no tub of grease, no bullet bag, no cylinder loading press, no heavy, bulky and expensive spare cylinders to pack around or to clean afterwards, no handling of individual percussion caps.  Just the gun belt with one gun and a 40 round cartridge box, a 100 round capper and a few of these six packs.

This is "field carry".  You're on a hike, or a trail ride, etc., you're mobile and relatively light, with a minimum of encumbrances, everything's on your person and you only need two hands to reload without setting anything down on the dirt/mud/grass/bushes/rocks/snow.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A variation on the period six-pack cartridge box
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
One more photo, because I can't post more than x number of bytes in one post.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »
Nice, very nice.  (T^

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »
Classy! Now for the homemade oil cloth to wrap for severe weather protection and river fording.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Aardvark-mi

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »
Very nice!!!
Some days you're the statue, some days you're the pigeon!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:22 AM »
...oil cloth to wrap for severe weather protection and river fording.

Well, yeah; something.  That's one of the biggest drawbacks to paper cartridges of course.  I thought of wrapping the box in waxed paper.  Do that and dip it in bee's wax and I bet you could submerge it with no trouble.  Back in the day they used something similar, though I think it was shellacked paper I read about.  Seems that'd be too brittle.  The shellack I've used is brittle like hard candy.  'Course now we have the Ziplock bag, and I'm not averse to that.

The typical powder flask isn't exactly water-tight either.  Johnnie's dozen pre-loaded cylinders are getting close, but I'm not going to pack all that around, up and down, hither and yon.  A Ziplock bag is rather lighter.

Gonna want a 36 caliber setup next.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
That's a great little package you have going there Omnivore.   One or two in each pocket will extend your shooting day considerably.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:58 AM »
Pretty neat: kinda surprised someone isn't selling 'em on this forum (seem's to be a popular item and subject)!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »
For five Euros, or whatever it is he's selling them for at capandball, it would have to be a labor of love, sustained by love, because I'd be losing a lot of money on each sale at that price.  I'd have to spend some time figuring out how to mass produce it without breaking the bank.  I've been trying to get a shop to reproduce my 40 round belt box's wooden core, but so far all they do is split wood and complain.  Turns out the thing I made by hand, a CNC machine shop (which has done over a half million in machining for my company over the years on metal parts) is having fits trying to re-create in wood.  Some things are best done by hand, but not if you want to mass produce them at an affordable price and not loose money.

If I dispensed with the taper (which I insisted on for better cartridge support in rough handling) then all the machine shop's problems go away.  They could do a circle/spiral routine in programming too, and that would certainly work well, at the expense of increasing the machine time (and thus the expense) considerably.  Anyway, maybe I'm talking to the wrong shop.  I don't believe this is all that difficult.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Omnivore, great job on re-creating those boxes. I have been thinking of doing something like that myself. I did get 2 of Capandball's cartridge boxes last year; put them on a shelf in the basement 'til I was ready to fill 'em up. Went down yesterday and I had one devil of a time getting the wood out of the wrappers, thought I would destroy them in the process. But I persevered and finally got the wood out. I immediately took them over to the belt sander and carefully sanded the wood cores so they fit closely, but not tight. Just a word of caution to you who bought the boxes...check them out for tightness due to humidity, etc.
I don't have the computer skills to make the wrapper labeling; could someone send a design that I could print out? I would appreciate it.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: 3D printing, 1860s style
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
A friend has a 3D printer, so naturally I asked if he wanted to try his hand at some cartridge boxes.  He's a shooter too, and has been out with me shooting my Remington NMA, and so he jumped at the chance.  We're working on several projects, but he gave me this prototype this morning.  The color is a bit wild, but the printer can do a simulated wood appearance which should be interesting.  The material is ABS plastic.  The box is as it came from the printer.  Two pieces, hinged together with  hinges that fit flush to the back.  It still needs some work on the programming, but this prototype is usable.  The holes are tapered to coincide with the tapered cartridges.  It'll receive a cardboard jacket like the one at the top of this thread.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:30:59 PM »
This photo shows a failed print of another design, in which you can see the 10% "infill".  The six pack box above has the same infill, but of course it's all invisible from being enclosed inside the blocks.

Mazo; PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you some label files.  Sorry I didn't notice your request sooner.  Let me know what you want them to say.  My labels have specific load information, so you won't want my exact label as shown in the OP here.  Other, more period-correct labels can be found on line.  I've seen 'em.  I printed mine on self adhesive label paper, which you can find in the paper section of any office supply store, or office supply section at Wal Mart or other places.  The paper I use is the full sheet, in other words it's not pre-cut to any particular label size.  I print and then cut t the labels with scissors, or a single edge razor and a metal rule.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »
I wanted some of the cartridge boxes as made and sold by capandball, but made for my "pull tab" cartridges.  Here's the result.  I drilled straight down a ways to a diameter of around .460" then used a smaller drill to punch down to the length of the cartridge, leaving just a little of the bullet sticking out.  A section of a reamer originally made for a guitar or cello end pin was used to cut a taper from the major diameter to the minor diameter at the bottom, to roughly match the taper of the cartridge.  The lid was drilled using a half inch ball end mill, then the tab slits were cut using a Dremel tool.  The lid is hinged to the lower portion of the box using a piece of brown denim glued to the back.  The wood is Poplar, on recommendation from some other members here.  It's light and it works nicely.  The matchbox type exterior shell was made from some cardboard spacer material taken out of a canned pet food case carton.  The label is a sort of "creative anachronism", using period vernacular but detailing the more modern components, printed on self adhesive label paper.

I know it's being picky   but check your spelling of ENVELOPE on your label.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:28:56 PM by DD4lifeusmc »
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
I know it's being picky   but check your spelling of ENVELOPE on your label.

Heh!  I guess I was in a hurry.  Funny no one noticed before.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »
My Dear Omnivore -
I love the blocks, the 3-d printed one looks like a viable product.

I suspect your CNC guys are youngsters who never worked manual machines. If they had, they would be aware of turret-based tooling that would accommodate different drill bits and a taper reamer!   :P

To waterproof your wooden packages, I agree that wax paper should work and was used ( perhaps not on cartridge boxes) in the period.  If you wrapped the box in wax paper like a Christmas package with sharp creases and using melted wax ( bees wax or parafin) as a glue,  applied with a  brush, I believe you would have the desired waterproofing. I would add a "zip-string" in order to open it.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:07:44 PM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions