1858banner

Author Topic: Bullet heeler  (Read 20760 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

Re: Bullet heeler
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 05:27:59 AM »
Just saw this.
 Nice way to set up for cartridges Omni! I too like the loaded cyl pic! Nice lookin bullets.
Is the rammer you " moded " on the Remie adjustable? (Depth seating?)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:28 AM »
JD  don't know if it was you that posted it, but yeh somebody did a couple weeks ago.
I'm a slow reader, but have been muddling on through it.
So far what they talk about, is the same basic stuff we were taught in the Marines 45 yr ago.
Just been updated a bit.

take away  his (enemy) sight  can't see / find you to fight ( fingers gouged in eyes)
take away his hearing (radios and such) can't coordinate to fight you
take away his breath ( hit him in the throat)  he can't breath he can't fight
Kick him in his balls, he can't fight
Take away his legs, he can't fight

In other words, If you find yourself in a fair fight, YOU'RE doing something wrong!
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 10:22:49 AM »
Nice way to set up for cartridges Omni! I too like the loaded cyl pic! Nice lookin bullets.
Is the rammer you " moded " on the Remie adjustable? (Depth seating?)

Thanks 45.  No; my extended seating plunger has no depth stop, but Yolla did make a similar one having a stop shoulder on it.  It's not adjustable, though such a thing could certainly be made.

You could look at it in either of two ways.  One would be an adjustable seating depth stop and the other would be to look at the load as being "adjustable" to a fixed depth stop.

In the latter case you'd adjust the ratio of powder to filler so as to result in the desired compression with the same, fixed seating depth.  This would be similar to the concept as loading metal cartridges to the same overall length.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
Yap, the second makes more since for the "perfectionist".  Good deal!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
Dang good tutorial, Omni, thankee kindly fer posting! Re-read it again (one of multitudes of times-) and still good stuff!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
There's no way I could have tested those bullets you sent me if I hadn't first sized and then "heeled" them.  Or rather, it woiuld have been extremely difficult, even loading them as loose components, and I'd end up with sore fingers after having spent a lot more time at it.  As it was, even loaded into paper cartridges, it was easy.  Some of them measured up to .460"+, and a few wouldn't even go into my sizing press with it's compound legerage and its long lever.

Ordering molds with the right dimensions, and careful casting procedure, of course is the proper answer.

I ordered my molds without having the full understanding of the proper bullet heel-to-chamber relationship, and so this heeling technique allows me to use my current molds.  As I said, if I order new molds having proper specs, I can eliminate the heeling process.

A secondary benefit to having the ability to heel them of course is that it allows me to use any 45 cal bullet and make it load easily.

It should be noted that I ordered my molds with a major diameter of .454" (+ .003 tolerance) so I could still use them in the event that I reamed out my chambers for proper fit with the barrel grooves.  That was a conscious choice.  If one plans to keep the original, undersized chamber diameter then it makes more sense to order molds for that diameter (at, or at most a thousandth over, chamber diameter, with a heel at least five under).

Also; the Accurate Molds .454s, as cast, will work in the larger Pietta "Shooter's Model" chambers when wrapped in paper cartridges whereas, for example, the Lee 450-200s, as cast, will drop loosely into those chambers with room to spare.

Life would be simpler if there were a single, standard chamber diameter for a 44, but alas, between Pietta's two sizes, plus Uberti, I have three chamber sizes to deal with in 44 caliber (no SAAMI specs there).
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline billy mcfly

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
I'm probably  }), with this, but I discovered another method for bullet heeling using a rifle sizing die, specifically an 8x57mm sizing die with the de-cap and expander stem removed. I use the pusher stem for a Lee push-through die to push the bullets into the die heel-first and already lubed. I can easily get the heel down to .445 or smaller. On a Lee 200gr REAL, if the heel band is .445, the front band will be .452. I push them out with a punch through the decap stem hole in the top of the die. Works like a charm.  :)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »
Omni, since this is an older thread all the photos are now gone. Is there any way you can "refresh" them again?

Offline Prospector

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
I also noticed that the photos were gone and would like to see them.

Speaking of missing things in posts, I also see that in many message threads, there are many posts where ALL the text is missing,   I just see an empty post or reply.   I know that there was something there at one time, because I see replies to those posts.   However, even the quoted text boxes have no text in them.   Is it just me, or has the texts of these messages really been deleted?

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2020, 02:31:35 PM »
It's not just you Prospector.  There are many places where text is missing.    I have an entire month of personal messages where the message is present but the text that was input by the sender is missing.   It looks to me like it happened with the latest server change over.

Offline Bad Karma

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
I’ll be watching the thread too.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
Thank you Mike!  I thought there was something wrong with my computer.