1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Powder charge  (Read 6723 times)

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Powder charge
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »

Throwing charges from a flask spout by holding your finger over the tip of the spout to fill it, you'll get variances of several grains from one throw to the next.  That’s because the pad of your finder is soft, and it pushed into the tip of the flask depending on how much pressure you’re putting into it AND what part of your finger pad is in contact with the spout.  Therefore if you're trying to get every last grain that will fit into your chamber, you'll have to weigh charges - not practical in the field, but since I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure to throw charges for my paper cartridges, my charges are as consistent as those used in modern, metal cartridges (+/ - about one tenth grain, giving a variance range of about two tenths AND it's faster than using a flask and spout).

That may cause a very small variance. My spouts are made by Pedesoli as most are no matter the brand I think. Those things are rough as a cob inside with powder sticking inside. That's where most of the variance is. One of these days I'm gonna polish them out & calibrate by trimming. I have a modern flask that is clear plastic with a fixed spout. That thing is amazingly consistent (checked with a digital scale + or minus .1 grain) so it's not the finger, but rather shoddy finish on the inside, look @ the inside of your spouts.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:00:53 PM by M9Powell »

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 06:37:26 AM »
The fleshy part of your index finger does indeed make a difference to the level of powder in relation to the top of the spout. I use a plastic cap off the top of an RWS cap container over the top of the spout instead of my finger. Gives the same level of powder i.e right to the top of the spout every time because it's flat.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
I also made up a brass cork that takes up exactly 5 grains (volume).  That way I can easily measure target loads for the brass pistol without having to buy another nozzle.  The cork was easier to make than a threaded brass tube of the right length. 
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
The fleshy part of your index finger does indeed make a difference to the level of powder in relation to the top of the spout. I use a plastic cap off the top of an RWS cap container over the top of the spout instead of my finger. Gives the same level of powder i.e right to the top of the spout every time because it's flat.

I doubt it makes much difference if you do it the same every time. My modern Thompson-center clear see through flask with built in spout throws extremely constant charges with the same fingering. That plastic is smooth as a babes butt & the eye tie brass is as rough as a Mexican road.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
Those little .31s look to me to be a pain to load and shoot. I wouldn't know for sure cause I don't own one. :-[ I might want to try one of those plastic flask out though. (^h
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »
Those little .31s look to me to be a pain to load and shoot. I wouldn't know for sure cause I don't own one. :-[ I might want to try one of those plastic flask out though. (^h

It's been a while since I used it. It throws a very light charge & you can't change it. If memory serves 21.5 grs.

Offline Gabby

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 04:05:01 AM »
I think it's important to point out that the old timers who lived with their BP guns didn't have time or the equipment to weigh out every charge of BP, especially in battle. So they had to measure using volume instead. Also smokeless powder is always measured by weight, even if you are using those calibrated scoops, they are designed that way.
Gabby

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
Evan when using a scoop one still gets only a volumetric equivalent; the same approximation as a calibrated measuring device or the spout on a flask.  My own spouts and measures remind me of politicians and lawyers - they never entirely agree. 

Although they poured their share of powder, the old timers liked pre-made carts - just like many of us.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 02:17:55 AM »
Evan when using a scoop one still gets only a volumetric equivalent; the same approximation as a calibrated measuring device or the spout on a flask.  My own spouts and measures remind me of politicians and lawyers - they never entirely agree. 

Although they poured their share of powder, the old timers liked pre-made carts - just like many of us.

At least they don't lie to you.