1858banner

Author Topic: Minies or Roundballs?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline AZshooter

Minies or Roundballs?
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
I'll be getting a Lyman Trade Rifle in a couple of weeks.  .50 cal with 1:48" twist rifling.  I know most roundball rifles used somewhere 1:60" twist, so this looks to maybe be better suited for Minie balls.  Anyone have a rifle with similar twist?  Any preference for Minies or RB's? 

Are there any Lee moulds that cast something appropriately accurate for this type of barrel?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Minies or Roundballs?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
It will do well with either. Its not the ideal twist for either and may work better with one than the other depending on the individual gun.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
I shoot prb's exclusively.  :)
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline AZshooter

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
Ended up getting the GPR instead - it comes with the 1:60" twist which works great for PRB's. After hanging out at the  Muzzleloading Forum for a while, I discovered that 1:48" isn't at all a "compromise twist rate" but was standard in Hawken-Type rifles of the time.  Got a 1:48" rifle a while ago, and it is amazingly accurate with PRB's and nearly so with Minies.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
I'll be getting a Lyman Trade Rifle in a couple of weeks.  .50 cal with 1:48" twist rifling.  I know most roundball rifles used somewhere 1:60" twist, so this looks to maybe be better suited for Minie balls.  Anyone have a rifle with similar twist?  Any preference for Minies or RB's? 

Are there any Lee moulds that cast something appropriately accurate for this type of barrel?
Yes Lee does.
Determine the patch thickness you will be using.
Your ball will likely be about  a .490
You may want to buy a box or two in that sizing or close to it. Try them out and decide on the correct size for you based on
the trials. Then buy the corresponding mould.
http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-ball-490.html
Lee shows it for $25.98  most big box retailers sell it for about $5 less.
I have a new one in stock for $24.50 plus shipping if you have trouble finding any.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776