1858banner

Author Topic: Uberti vs Pietta  (Read 1282 times)

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
Uberti vs Pietta
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »
Was on Dixie tonight, and I  noticed that there seems to be an .003" difference in chamber diameter, between Pietta and uberti.
Other than "coke vs pepsi, 350 chev vs 351 ford vs 360 Dodge..." is there a "why".
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Uberti vs Pietta
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »
Was on Dixie tonight, and I  noticed that there seems to be an .003" difference in chamber diameter, between Pietta and uberti.
Other than "coke vs pepsi, 350 chev vs 351 ford vs 360 Dodge..." is there a "why".

Uberti chambers are closer to bore size than Pietta.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
The crowd I hang around with considers the Pietta to be a Fiat and the Uberti a Maserati. The ASM would be like a Bricklin.....the most true to the original, but poorly executed.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
...considers the Pietta to be a Fiat and the Uberti a Maserati.

More on the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debate  -  I winced when Pietta was compared to a Fiat.  I owned a Fiat once and it lasted about six months.  An Alpha R. maybe but not a Fiat.

Compared to some of the jalopies Pietta put out in the pre CNC days their more recent guns are really pretty good.  I only own Piettas so no pretense to objectivity is intended, either express or implied but after a little file-paper-stone attention Piettas run real good, even the older ones do.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
...considers the Pietta to be a Fiat and the Uberti a Maserati.

More on the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debate  -  I winced when Pietta was compared to a Fiat.  I owned a Fiat once and it lasted about six months.  An Alpha R. maybe but not a Fiat.

Compared to some of the jalopies Pietta put out in the pre CNC days their more recent guns are really pretty good.  I only own Piettas so no pretense to objectivity is intended, either express or implied but after a little file-paper-stone attention Piettas run real good, even the older ones do.

Fiat made some good cars....and Maserati had some dismal failures........ The Uberti is usually better built, but dimensionally incorrect, Pietta is still a pretty well built gun, but even more dimensionally incorrect, most notably the grip. ASM was very close to the original, but not well executed quality-wise and now parts are very difficult to find. :) 

That's about all I know. I own Piettas.....and can live with what they are.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
As someone who sees a ton of both across my counter - if you want a new one, get a Pietta.

Around 2012/2013 both companies went to CNC for their revolvers, but they went about it in different ways.

Uberti fired most of the old-timers and pulled a "Springfield Armory 1903" deal by bringing in a bunch of idiot college kids who were machinists. Since then I have found problems with fit, finish, metallurgy and more. I have a list of more than two-dozen separate recurring issues we keep seeing with these guns. The most common of these is that the spec seems to change from one batch to the next. Poor Howell and Kirst have both had a hard time dealing with those issues.

Pietta, on the other hand, kept their old timers on and are letting them retire out in their own time. Anyone who could be retrained for CNC was retrained, and most of the rest were moved to fit, finish and polish. The consistency these days is fantastic, and even the cheapo models from the big box stores are better than even some of the mid-grade Pietta options of the past.

The overall result is that Ubertis made before 2012 are generally fantastic, while Piettas are iffy. Piettas after 2013 are fantastic and seem to get better every year.

A quick list of just a few of the most egregious Uberti issues encountered in the last five years:

1: Two guns that began near-instantaneously rusting upon removal from the box - an 1851 and a SAA. One got a fine fine rust all over the frame that spread in between the moment we opened the package to see three fine rust dots, and a few minutes later after we talked about the other issues I had encountered to this point. The other was almost like an etching into what had been the darker swirls of the color case hardening. It happened within 24 hours of the customer receiving it.

2: On one gun the hand had somehow eaten through the frame, and on another the hammer did the same. I'm guessing the metallurgy or hardening was wrong on both of these. The guns were produced two years apart; 2014 and 2016.

3. We have had four 1858s where the cylinder could not be removed without using something to relieve the pressure from the bolt. One of these was brought in three months ago and had a 2019 date code. In one case the bolt was far too long, in another the slot was longer than it was supposed to be, and in the other two both were the case.

4. A customer ordered a new SAA for transfer, pulled the hammer back to feel the action, and after a loud "SPROING" the trigger FELL. OUT. OF. THE. GUN. He shipped it back and received a replacement. That replacement was the one mentioned above that got a weird rust etching into the case coloring.

5. Another SAA arrived with the front sight a good quarter inch to the left of where it should be, and a cylinder gap you could pass a nickle through. The cylinder would only turn if you pointed the gun straight up. There is no way that thing ever saw QC.

6. A brand new cavalry carbine arrived that was completely locked up. The hammer wouldn't move and the arbor pin was jammed. Turned out the arbor pin was bent and there was a massive machine bur on the bolt.

Just my opinion, but if you want a new revolver, get a Pietta. If you find a good deal on an older one, make sure it is a Uberti.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
This is a very timely subject for me. Reading what a dealer retailer as you, is experiencing
is invaluable.
I have recently purchased several Uberti revolvers and find all have an issue , that am not
seeing with  Piettas.
Rust is one that really puzzled me and it came from Cimarron who say they inspect all guns
befor shipping. Ha, one had a jammed hand,  after taking the gun apart I found the hand
was too wide to fit smoothly through the slot on recoil shield . I filed it down rather than return the whole gun. Another Uberti from Cimarron had a flaw in the wood grip panel so my fix was to sand the grips down and refinish. I did call Cimarron and was told " I guess one got by us"
All the Piettas I have purchased since 2015 have been perfect.
Hewy
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 03:10:19 PM »
Perfect?!!

(Come on now .  .  .  !! Lol!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
Around 2012/2013 both companies went to CNC for their revolvers, but they went about it in different ways.

Pietta went to CNC in 99 or 2000. I don't know when Uberti did.  I've had a few pre CNC Pietta's and still have one made in 76 that were just as good as the new ones. Better actually because they don't have the obese grips and super tall front sight. At least the ones made in the 70's and early 80's don't
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hylander

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
One thing I have noticed is all my 1858 Pietta's the bores have been .451
While all the Uberti's I have checked were .456
Also on a few Uberti's the hand was not fit proper, not allowing the cylinder to be removed or reinstalled
without some finesse.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »
I have been lucky with both Pietta an Uberti bp revolvers. The only thing I don't know how to fix is the short amber on the Uberti revolvers and can't afford to send them off to have them fixed. I did have one Dragoon fixed by Mike which he did a fine job on.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
Thanks Dellbert!!

Mike

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »

Pietta went to CNC in 99 or 2000. I don't know when Uberti did.  I've had a few pre CNC Pietta's and still have one made in 76 that were just as good as the new ones. Better actually because they don't have the obese grips and super tall front sight. At least the ones made in the 70's and early 80's don't

Pietta went to CNC FRAMES in 1999. Parts were still basically hand-shaped to fit, and many parts were from external vendors. In 2013 Pietta installed several million dollars worth of new CNC machinery and began producing all parts in-house.

Beretta went on a cost-cutting spree of their various holdings that was fairly well reported, and the biggest hit were the under-performing companies. The culling at Uberti and move to more automation happened in 2012.

I actually had a very long conversation with Alessandro Pietta about it (as well as cars, families, products, our grandfathers, and a bunch of other things) around 2014 when we were trying to get them to make a few off-menu guns for us.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
In my limited experience with Uberti's revolvers they do a real nice job with cosmetic finishes, even on internal parts. However, the final fitting and inspection seems to be lacking on occasion. For instance on a 1851 I got, the loading lever wouldn't latch shut. How the heck can such an obvious fault be overlooked? Late model Piettas on the other hand always function correctly.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
Perfect?!!

(Come on now .  .  .  !! Lol!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Ya Mike remember the gang out here ,with a few exceptions ,load shoot clean and repeat.
I for one, don't measure  the bore or count the threads on the screws etc etc etc.
Ya perfect is a good word. Comparing to basic fit and function Pietta over Uberti.
PS thanks for you knowledge and advice from time to time.
Hewy Soy Un Viejto  :9)
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.