1858banner

Author Topic: My New Toy  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
My New Toy
« on: April 08, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
I discussed this cool find in detail over on Colt Country, but thought I would share with you here as well. Here's the "show and tell" thread from CC:

Well, now that I've paid this thing off and drug it home like a proud papa bringing home the new baby from the hospital, time for show & tell.

Meet the new kid on the block...Navy Arms Winchester '66 "Yellow Boy" in .44-40 WCF

Left side view:

Right side with the famous Nelson King loading gate; the patent that turned the problematic Henry design into Winchester's bread and butter.

Forearm with brass cap. They also made a version with a blued cap; I think the brass looks better to my eyes:

Buttstock. I can't believe how nice the wood is on this thing!

Front sight in the "flipped-down" position...

...and "elevated".

Caliber stamp: .44-40 WCF

Date code [AD] (1978) and proof marks

Importer's mark (Navy Arms)

Tang with rifle model designation

The famous (or infamous, depending on your view) "elevator shaft"

So, there you have it in all it's glory. Sorry for the lousy pix, will try to get more (better) when time allows.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

Re: My New Toy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Nice, very nice!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
Very nice indeed!

So, it takes them newfangled metal cartridges all the kids are using nowadays?  I may have to try that someday, and see what all the rage is about, you know, before the fad passes.   ])M

I too like the brass.  Let us know how it shoots.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
Let us know how it shoots.

Will do. Planning on loading smokeless loads in the beginning, most likely using Unique as I have a lot of it, but not against trying BP loads down the road.
I have decided to keep my Sharps only black powder cartridge. We'll see how that works out first.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Hey Captain,
That sure is purdy, much nicer lines than the 1873's.
I've always wanted one of those.
I hope it's a good shooter, you should have fun with that one.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Good looking rifle CK. I like the brass look on those rifles.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »
Nice rifle, good score.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
WOW! That is a nice one!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
very sharp........

might want to try some 777 loads
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »
Great looking rifle. You stumbled on that one at a good deal.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:48 AM »
Let us know how it shoots.

Will do. Planning on loading smokeless loads in the beginning, most likely using Unique as I have a lot of it, but not against trying BP loads down the road.
I have decided to keep my Sharps only black powder cartridge. We'll see how that works out first.

Greetings My Dear Capt

>> Note this is NOT a BP sub, merely mild loads for modern replica cartridge guns.

I have been studying what little pressure data and burn rate data I can lay my paws upon, and have discovered to my great delight that mild loads
of Unique are not too far removed from BP. Note this is NOT a BP sub, merely mild loads.

>> Note this is NOT a BP sub, merely mild loads for modern replica cartridge guns.>> Note this is NOT a BP sub, merely mild loads for modern replica cartridge guns.

RE your sharps, In my searching I keep coming across this over and over, from the same 3 wise people regarding 45-70 in the trapdoor and
buffalo rifles :

"In general, smokeless powder 2400 gives approximately the same pressure curve as black powder for the same velocity. Smokeless powders slower than 2400 will actually give lower pressure curves than black powder for the same velocity. Bell indicates that the danger in using smokeless powder is really only the danger of an overcharge or double charge, provided slower smokeless powders are used (another cartridge historian, John Kort, has found that 2400 is the crossover point ... use only 2400 or slower.)"

and

"Secondly, with smokeless powder such as IMR 4198, I could get the same velocities as black powder but with lower peak pressure."

see here:  https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-shooting-and-hunting/smokeless-versus-black-power/

so for modern suppository replicas, you have a plethora of mild powders from which to choose...
>> for modern replica cartridge guns.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:16:49 AM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
PM; are you encouraging other people to use smokeless powder in their black powder guns, in contravention of all manufacturer warnings, without having done long term tests of your own?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »
H110, Blue Dot, 2400 and Unique are all indicated in 44 Magnum loads too.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
H110, Blue Dot, 2400 and Unique are all indicated in 44 Magnum loads too.

In fact, I use Unique in my own .44 mag handloads; 9.5gr behind a 240 jacketed or plated FN bullet yields (approx) 1100 fps. Modern Cowboy loads using Unique vary between 5-7.9gr Unique and given the fact I have a 24" Bbl I will probably start somewhere in the 6 range for .44-40.
The Sharps I intend to try out Swiss 1.5F with a variance of cast boolits that Mazo generously sent my way ranging from 400-535gr.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
PM; are you encouraging other people to use smokeless powder in their black powder guns, in contravention of all manufacturer warnings, without having done long term tests of your own?

Omni; FYI both the Pedersoli Sharps and Navy Arms Winchester we are discussing are proofed for factory smokeless loads, while BP rifles and revolvers are not. I don't recommend anyone try to build an 'equivalent' smokeless load for use in any of the black powder guns available. Use BP or an approved substitute ONLY. Too many examples of You Tube warriors making a fool of themselves on camera trying to do just that.