1858banner

Author Topic: Remmy SHINES on Range Day!!!!  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Remmy SHINES on Range Day!!!!
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Well, finally; the planets aligned, kharma ruled, and the Captain got up to the range today, despite the dismal forecast of 40% chance of predicted thunderstorms in our area. I have this new 2nd Dragoon I had to try out, but took the Remmy along "just because". Now, I was well-pleased with the new Dragoon, but that's a topic for another forum, I guess. Shooting the Remmy (it's been a good while!) was everything I remembered it as, and more! It functioned flawlessly through at least 60-70 rounds, no misfires, cap jams, or anything like that. This was also the first time shooting Wonder Wads WITHOUT Crisco over the balls, and it was SOOO much less-messy! All this simply reinforced my choice of the Remmy as my Go-To-Gun.....even the cleaning later this evening (gotta love that stainless!) :) While the day was slightly marred by the inconvenience of a flat tire when it came time to leave the range (%*&@*^!!!!!) and an exhausting cleaning marathon this evening on two pistols and a rifle (my anal-retentive personality does not allow me to wipe down my guns and put 'em away...total strip 'n clean is mandatory!) coupled with the high cost of range fees,  {:( I can state without hesitation....Yeah, it was worth it!!!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:36:18 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Remmy SHINES on The Day After, too!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
The Day After...that time we all dread, when we have to clean the objects of our affection...
Never noticed it before, but the Remmy was apart down to the last screw in a matter of minutes. Cleaning the SS was not "easy", (never is) but the internals go together much better than my Colt Army or Navy. And with only a tiny bit of brass to polish (trigger guard, rather than the whole backstrap) that went quickly too.
Just an all-around FINE piece of gun metal! :-X

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
Re: Remmy SHINES on Range Day!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
First, where are the target pics? 

Second, I haven't done it with my stainless ROA, but I have heard that a trip through the dishwasher will make short work of cleaning it.  For that matter, it would probably work with blued as well. 

As I said, I haven't tried it.  Not because the wife would shoot me, but because we have an old house and the dishwasher is attached to my wrists.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »
Well, two things.
First, I didn't bring a camera. My cell phone takes crappy pix and I don't have internet on the phone to transfer the pix anyway.
Second, the target wasn't worth taking pix of. I spent most of the day blazing away at the gongs (soooo much more fun!!!)

Offline Indian Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:11 AM »
I actually find the carbon steel guns to be easier to clean, because you can just let them develop a natural patina. There is nothing to polish, not even the brass, and so the polishing step can be skipped entirely.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:27:26 AM by Indian Outlaw »

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
im still shootin about 6-10 inches low at twenty five yds but im pretty lucky, i live so far out in the woods that any day i want to shoot i head out back to the picnic table and throw up another target! {L*
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
East Texas are you holdin' dead center on the bull or at the base of it wth a 6 'clock hold at the base?
I was just wonderin' as some tome that makes a differance.
Try as shot at 75-100 yds. and see if it's on or the heck of it...ifin ya like.
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
ET, all my Colt repros seem to be sighted as the originals were: zero'd at 75 yards, the distance the Cavalry decided was good shootin' distance for a man (or a horse). My Remmy appears to be zero'd closer to 3o yards or so, maybe that's just my gun (ASP) but it will throw you if you're used to the Colts.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:35:31 AM »
lol! i dont own a colt. yet im shootin at the bull because hittin low it wouldnt make too much sense aimin at 6 ! im gonna try backin up to 75 yds just to see whats up but i prob wont even hit paper, well see  im gonna try aimin at 12 o clock to at 25 if im gettin any closer ill let ya know!

chuckr1952

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
        Dang, eastexas! You mean your hiting the target! I'm still useing a pack of targets I bought 12 years ago, I can take mine down and reuse it, I figure I'm doin good if I hit the plywood it's on!

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »
 i just got that 36 and i like the sights on it much better than the 44 soon as i can find some ammo, i think im gonna do a lot better wih it!   get out there and practice! [as soon as it cools off!]