1858banner

Author Topic: New/old S&W  (Read 939 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
New/old S&W
« on: August 25, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
Well my wife got another installment on her back pay and she wanted a revolver so she drug me to the gun store kicking and screaming )L$ She bought a new S&W 637 Airweight but the recoil really hurts her hand. I ordered a set of Pachmayr Grippers for it so hoping they will help. Pic isn't hers but it's the same gun.

She also let me buy one and I spotted this early M&P apparently made in 48. It's a little rough but the action is nice and tight with virtually no end shake. The bore is nice and shiny with no pits.My first shot with it I nailed a Coke can at around 30 feet. That's always a good sign. It's a sweet shooter. My wife even hit three cans out of her first six shots and she's never done much shooting plus it didn't hurt her hand. The asking price was 400.00 and they wouldn't come down but I did talk her into throwing in a 20.00 box of ammo so I actually gave 380.00 for it.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: New/old S&W
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »
Well my wife got another installment on her back pay and she wanted a revolver so she drug me to the gun store kicking and screaming )L$ She bought a new S&W 637 Airweight but the recoil really hurts her hand. I ordered a set of Pachmayr Grippers for it so hoping they will help. Pic isn't hers but it's the same gun.

She also let me buy one and I spotted this early M&P apparently made in 48.

My Dear Hawg -
Great find on the M&P!

re: your wife's 637 & recoil....
A) the pachmeyers DO help, but if it still hurts time to shoot a softer load
2) what cartridges is she shooting? Avoid +P and high velocity hollowpoints!
    I find that the old 148 gr RN Soft lead are perfect for for airweights.
    If those are unobtainable, anyone who reloads can set you up with HBWC loaded backwards over ~ 4.7 gr Unique
    is accurate, comfortable, and very effective against beverages.
    Or those 125 grain Flat nose pure lead bullets from Lee (it's actually a cowboy bullet)

I have the mold and plan to cast a bunch up soon, if you want a sample pack.
Soft lead, as we use for the Remmies, works a trest, and for 5 shots I myself don't worry about "leading"

They would probably make a nice load for the M&P too!

If you really really want, here are some old lyman loads. But heavier bullets mean more recoil...
Hornady #2 from 1973, 38 Special, 158 LSWC, Unique powder 4.3 gr starting for about 750FPS to 6.1 gr for about 1050 FPS

If you are made of money Buffalo bore has some "very special"  .38 spcl snub loads that are said to replicate the "FBI .38 load"
but I bet they hurt, too.

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
The loads we got are PPU 158 grain LRN. We have a box of 25 Hornady 125 grain XTP JHP but we didn't shoot any of them since they cost twice as much. I sold all my 38 reloading dies and molds after my last .38 was stolen. I may have to buy some more. If I do start reloading for it I will definitely not use Unique. I have a bad history with it. Definitely not made of money since we're both on disability. Our gun buying sprees have been funded by her getting back pay installments on her disability.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
The new Lee die sets are well made at very good price.  They may be on sale now at Midway and they have a free shipping promo that may also apply.  GF

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »
My Dear Hawg

the Hornady 38 Special 125 gr XTP "ought to" recoil softer, since it is a lighter bullet
and delivering 225 ft/lb whilst the Prvi delivers 283ft/lb with it's heavier bullet.
that's 25% more recoil! And the heavy bullet really makes it feel worse.

For social purposes, it is an excellent choice and your Lovely Spousal Unit probably
won't notice any hand pain until the next day anyway.

Hornady 38 Special 125 gr XTP
38 Special    XTP HP   125 gr   225ft/lb   900 fps   

Prvi Partizan looks to be much more energetic than most, like the old RN Lead Police loads:

Prvi Partizan
38 Special    LRN             158gr    283ft/lb    902fps

So, for a softer range load, let's see what is out there...
Federal is a bit slower, ought to be softer, especially the LWCM (Lead WadCutter Match)
38 Special    LRN            158gr    208ft/lb    770fps
38 Special     LWCM    148gr    156ft/lb    690fps  <<<<<<<<  NICE!

Remington is about the same
38 Special    LRN            158gr    200ft/lb    755fps
38 Special    SWC    158gr    200ft/lb    755fps

from http://www.ballistics101.com/38_special.php

So what you probably want is one of those softer shooting 125gr Lead Flat Nose "Cowboy Loads"
or at the very least softer shooting lead target loads.

Any idea how much range shooting your Lovely Spousal unit has in mind?

I have been cleaning up and and going thru crap precious stuff from my dad and FIL and finding
strange stuff, duplicate stuff, odd ammo, dies, etc...
Let me see what I can dig up for you..

yhs
prof marvel
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 01:12:51 AM »
She wants a lot more range time than we can get as do I. I think we finally found a place we can shoot as long as nobody is using the boat ramp. We bought 100 rounds of .223 and 100 rounds of 9MM and 100 rounds of 38 special plus they gave me the 25 .38 Hornady but the price of 25 Hornady is the same as a box of 50 PPU. We may can swing a little ammo every month but it won't be any more than what we got the other day. They do have a lot of primers and powder in stock as well as bullets but I still have lead and a Lee mold won't cost but about 20 bucks so that's probably going to be the best option for the .38 especially if the grips don't help. It looks like W231 is a good powder for .38 special and I already use that for 44-40 and .45 ACP and Lee makes a 125 grain mold. A Lee three die set is $30.79 and a four die set is $47.99. So we shall see what next month brings. I'll have to get off my lazy butt and find all my reloading stuff and get it set up since I haven't used any of it in over two years.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 02:17:53 AM »
Here's my model 10-5 pinned barrel

It's up for adoption BTW...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

2018 SASS WV Wrangler Champion
2019 SASS WV Duelist champion

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:39 AM »
231 is a GREAT powder for pistol cartridges!

I fell into Unique waaaaaayyyyy back in 1974, because
1) both "Uncle" George Nonte and "Skeeter" Skelton loved it.
B) it's cheap!
III)  It works great (for me) for all pistols, shotshell, and even low power rifle loads.

One of the original "low power" .30 rifle loads is 10 gr Unique under a ~ 150 gr bullet. It *is* a little dirty, and you have to watch your large cases to avoid "double charges".

I absolutely love the Lee cowboy molds- the round profile but flat point is both old-timey and effective.
but the grooves do not carry enough lube for BP cartridge loads :-(
for that I scored a couple of used Big Lube molds for .45 If you ever want a few of those just let me know.

I originally got the Lee 125 gr FP mold for .38 spcl and .38 Colt, and I want to see if it will work for 9mm.
Guys over on  castboolit have used it in various 9mm pistols, it seems to need sizing and sometimes feeding tweeks.

I also have an old Forster Hollow Pointer, and it makes a RN or FP into a dandy HP. I need to weigh them
as I would like to get them down to 115 gr for the 9.

I'll send you some so you can try before you buy, and I'll see what duplicate stuff I turn up if you are interested.
how are you fixed for .38 brass?

Oh, I nearly forgot.
regarding cheap range time:
I have not been able to get all the way out to a range much so i started casting hot glue bullets, fired with
pistol primers and no powder. They are a great "basement ' or "garage" practice load that gives one lots of
trigger time on the actual firearm. They punch thru a cardboard box, but are stopped by rags and can be reused.
Great for revovlers, not so much for semi-autos unless you don't mind cycling the slide every single round.

They also work great in C&B revolvers also, but one has to drill out a set of nipples and make sure to never use them with powder.

Another cheap target practice load is loading roundballs on top of ~ 1.5 - 2 gr of unique, or a similar small amount of bullseye or 231.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:51:42 AM by prof marvel »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 03:34:49 AM »
I'd be interested in whatever you have. As far as brass I'll have 100 pieces after we shoot these up. I'm saving the hollow points for defense rounds. As for Unique I bought a 44 magnum in 1980 and got into reloading at the same time. I bought a pound of Unique on the advice of the gun shop. I loaded 50 hot loads and they were nasty. Greasy black soot covered my stainless revolver. Once I fired those 50 I literally tossed the Unique in the trash and tried W296 and never looked back.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 03:37:37 AM »
Here's my model 10-5 pinned barrel

It's up for adoption BTW...

What's the adoption fee on that Bruce?

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 05:11:12 AM »
Hawg,
I've used the Lee 125 RF for .38s with 3.5 Bullseye.  That bullet also worked for 9mm and .38 Super, at least in my guns.

If you PM your address I'll give you the mold.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 08:32:36 AM »
Hawg,
I've used the Lee 125 RF for .38s with 3.5 Bullseye.  That bullet also worked for 9mm and .38 Super, at least in my guns.

If you PM your address I'll give you the mold.

Many thanks. Addy headed your way.

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »
Mild is on the way, along with a mix n match die set and shellhilder.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
Mild is on the way, along with a mix n match die set and shellhilder.

Thank you very muchly but you oughta let me give you something for them.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
Welp after doing some searching I found this 10-5 pinned barrel for 375.00. It will still run a little better than 400.00 with shipping and FFL fees but after shooting my M&P she has her heart set on one so she will get one.

I caught a break. He's paying the shipping. {?|
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 04:12:48 AM by Hawg »