1858banner

Author Topic: Size Comparison: Uberti Army vs Navy  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Marc Adamchek

Size Comparison: Uberti Army vs Navy
« on: September 06, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
VERY sorry for this late reply to this question, guys, but I just ran across it earlier today when I was going through some threads.

I don't think the frames are different sizes.  If they are it's just WAY too minute to notce

In fact, it seems that all the size differences between the Uberti New Model Army .44 and Navy .36 are AFTER the frame, i.e. barrel length, loader/rammer length.

The funny thing is that, to me at least, the Army .44 seems to balance better in the hand and point more naturally than the Navy .36.....

Strictly my impression, I know, but I think the frame size comparison is as close to objective as I can be.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Size Comparison: Uberti Army vs Navy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »
Check and see if the cylinders will interchange, on my Piettas they will. If they will you know 2 things.
 1 The frames r the same.
 2. Watch out for that and don't do it by mistake.

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:35 AM »
Marc
 Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping the 36 was sized between a pocket 31 and the 44 New Army. That's not a deal killer and will probably be talking with Dixie shortly.  Woops, not sure were allowed to use that name now ?  I need an excuse to buy a .380 ball mold.  A good mid winter hobby to cast 38 Spl, 454 balls and now .380.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:18:33 AM by Kid Vermin »
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
 On the originals the issue Navy with a 7+ barrel was midsized frame between the small (31) and large (44). The civie 36 New model belt pistol with 6.5" barrel used the same large frame as the 44. AFAIK all of the replica 36s use the large frame. A Uberti large frame is I think just a smidge smaller than a Pietta though.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
VERY sorry for this late reply to this question, guys, but I just ran across it earlier today when I was going through some threads.

I don't think the frames are different sizes.  If they are it's just WAY too minute to notce

In fact, it seems that all the size differences between the Uberti New Model Army .44 and Navy .36 are AFTER the frame, i.e. barrel length, loader/rammer length.

The funny thing is that, to me at least, the Army .44 seems to balance better in the hand and point more naturally than the Navy .36.....

Strictly my impression, I know, but I think the frame size comparison is as close to objective as I can be.

The difference in balance and feel is probably due to the 36 being heavier. 36 holes remove less metal than 44 holes, on my Piettas I think the grip portion of the frame is smaller than the 44s. The grips don't even come close to interchanging.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:40:41 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Marc Adamchek

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
Both good points, M9Powell

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
Pretty sure that everyone would like to see Pietta toss out a decent replica of a Remington .36 Police (no, Omnivore, won't say "pocket" even though they'd slip into one o' mine mighty fine like, ha ha)!

Sorry for the edit: Original post compiled in fit of idiocy induced by bouts of insanity!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:37:54 AM by old fogey »