1858banner

Author Topic: 1858 Gunslingers?  (Read 51733 times)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
Re: 1858 Gunslingers?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
At time of death, Custer was a lieutenant colonel (earlier had risen to rank of brevet major general during cw. Something of a sob, he was about to be jumped by ex-soldiers who served under his command after mustering of in Austin, TX and was warned at the last minute at end of cw). Though not widely known, Custer was married to a Cheyenne chief's daughter (and had children by her,) while also being married to a "lady of standing and good regard".

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks, personally I don't have anything against him marrying multiple women, except jealousy (&N.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Dear Friends,(And M9Powell!!!) 
            If you go back to the postings I made on the subject of my getting a .44 ball through my left and, you will see that I DID TAKE MY FAIR SHARE OF THE BLAME FOR WHAT HAPPENED!   The main thing that I DID NOT KNOW, was that the safety slots in the Remington Cylinders,(At least as far as Pietts's are concerned!) do not give sufficient bite on the hammer nose to be safe!!!!!  As I found out when I returned from the Hospital, the amount of the hammer nose that goes into the safety Slot on a Factory Issued Remington Revolver, is less that one Millimeter!
            To start at the beginning:  I had made a Holster for my personal use. I wanted a rig that would carry the revolver at the waist on the left side of the belt buckle, for a right hand cross draw.  To be authentic for the period, I DID NOT INSTALL A SAFETY THONG FOR THE HAMMER! These things did not happen, "Back in the Day," so I did not put one on. However I DID make a SERIOUS ERROR of design in the holster!  I wanted it to ride fairly high, so I set the belt loop on the back of the holster Kinda LOW!  In fact I made it TOO LOW, and since most of the weight in a Remington is behind the forcing cone, this caused the butt of the pistol to sag, until the weapon was almost horizontal!!!  I was in my kitchen, and I saw a scrap of crumpled paper on the floor, that one of my cats must have knocked off the table, as a Plaything.  When I bent down to pick up this bit of paper. the pistol slid out of the holster, and landed on the Linotiled floor surface, pointing almost vertically upwards. Since the flooring had some, "give," in it, the pistol then bounced, and the second time it hit the floor on the hammer Spur, and went off!  I was reaching for the gun, and the ball entered my left hand in the palm, near the base of the Pinky Finger, and passed all the way up my hand toward my wrist, exiting just below my wristwatch strap!  It blew most of the flesh away in a kind of flap, and ,y hand looked like a pile of raw Hamburger.  My first thought was, "How in Hell did that gun GO OFF?"  For I am VERY careful, and always check visually, before and after, EVERY TIME I TAKE A GUN OUT OF, OR PUT ONE INTO A HOLSTER, to make sure the hammer is resting in the safety notch at the rear of the cylinder.  I had done this less than a minute before!  I looked at my watch, and saw that Ana would be home in less that five minute's, so I wrapped a hand-towel as tightly as I could around my hand, and waited for her to get home in the parking lot.  As soon as she arrived, I told her what had happened, and asked if she would e kind enough to run me down to St. Joseph's Hospital! 
            I take a certain percentage of the blame for what happened.  #1. Had not checked to see how much "Bite," the tip of the hammers had, in he safety slots in the rear of the Cylinders!  I spent a lot of time in the hospital, worrying about HOW and WHY the Damned GUn HAd GONE OFF, when I KNEW that I had checked just thirty seconds before, that the hammer WAS resting in a Safety Notch between two nipples when I put it in the holster.  So what must have happened was,
the first bounce of the gun on the lino-tiled floor, stopped the gun, but not the hammer which continued to come back a little when the rest of the gun was stopped by the floor! the jar also must have caused the cylinder to rotate slightly, until a cap was beneath the cap. Then when the pistol struck the floor on the hammer spur, "BOOM!"
            I did two things wrong!  I was wearing the gun in a badly designed Holster!  And, I HAD NOT CHECKED TO SEE HOW
MUCH OF THE HAMMER WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SAFETY NOTCH!
            The first thing I did when I got back from the Hospital, was to carefully examine the revolver!  I carefully examined just how much bite the hammer had in all the safety notched in the cylinder, and found it was miniscule. Slightly less than
ONE MILLIMETER!!!!  So bandaged hand and all, I plied Dremel tool, and file, on the hammers of ALL THREE of my revolvers, for I found that ALL THREE were in a similar condition!! I do not know about Uberti Remington's, as I only have Pietta's, but if you have a Pietta .44 Remington, you need to ply file or Dremel Tool if you have one, to reshape the nose of your hammers, for the  way they come from the factory, just a tiny sliver of steel from the hammer enters the safety notch!  I deepened the  "Bite," of all three of my Revolvers, until they all now have THREE MILLIMETERS of "Bite,"  I also installed a Safety thong on the poorly designed Holster, and made a present of it to Texian when he and his wife visited a few months later.  I warned him to NEVER wear a loaded gun in it, unless the safety thong was in place, I just could not bring myself to wear the thing again.  Not even with the thong in place!
            So YES! I was partly to blame on two counts! I had made a holster that was flawed in it's design, and I had NOT checked to be sure just HOW SAFE the Safety Notches in the rear of Remington Cylinders were!  I had "ASSUMED," that they WERE  SAFE, and it turned out they are NOT SAFE AS THE COME FROM THE STORE!!!!!  To make them Really SAFE, a little
work has to be done on the Hammer Nose!
            I now only carry in a shoulder Holster, where the Gun is also held in by a strap, and a snap, that I can easily release from outside the light vest I wear over the weapon! Or in a pair of Mexican Loop Holsters of authentic 1860's to 1870's design.  This design is almost foolproof, and is about the only POSITION for a single Action Revolver, where the gun may be safely, AND COMFORTABLY CARRIED on horseback!  Those "Low Slung Buscadero Rigs," CAN be worn on a horse, but only if you don't want the animal to go faster than a walk!  For if he DOES, you'll be so Bloody UNCOMFORTABLE, you'll want to rein him in immediatly!
            I was Lucky!  The Ball made an awful mess of my hand, and when I first saw how damaged it was, I thought to myself, "Johnnie, you're going to lose that hand!" Then a thought crossed my mind, and I wondered if I could still move all my fingers! So I tried, and all four and the thumb waggled very well! So I thought,"Well maybe the surgeon will be able to save it after all?"  And so it proved!  All that I have to show for it is a sort of elongated lump on the heel of that hand. They had to "Borrow," some skin from the left forearm, to replace some that the ball had blown away when it exited!  I have to shave it every now and then, in case someone should notice, and begin to wonder if there might BE SOMETHING to Charles Darwin's, "Simian Theory," After all?
            So yes, I did make Mistake's! I should have checked to see how safe, the Safety Notches were!  However, as a result of my little, "Accident, Several other Member's DID check their guns, and found similar problems, so maybe,(?) the pain
and relatively Minor Discomfort I suffered, prevented some other poor fellow from accidentally dropping HIS gun, and getting his head blown apart!  Quien Sabe!
            I spent 35 years working with horses, and I love these animals very much.  I have no doubt the animal Custer rode was the Pick of The Troop Herd, and to think a man could be SO BLOODY CARELESS, as to kill a fine animal, just because he wanted to brag on killing a Buffalo with a Handgun for Sport....................... It turns my Stomache! May the Bastard ROT IN
HELL for ALL ETERNITY!  My poor Old Hank, died of old age, in 2006, while I was out of State.  I miss him so much!  In my present financial situation, to own another is beyond my means.  Old Hank was SUCH A CHARACTER!  I rode him on "Far & Away," which was filmed in Montana, and "Buffalo Soldier," which was made here in Arizona. He had never before done Cavalry Manoeuvers, but took to it like a Duck to water!  I hope that if what A Bishop told me is true, that Animals DO HAVE SOULS, and that just MAYBE, I'll see him again, "Up Yonder?"
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline sltm1

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
Gunslinger, I feel your pain about losing a good friend in a horse. I bought Major as an unbroken 3 year old, trained him to my taste and we were simpatico in everything we did. I rode him in a soft rope hack made out of a bit hanger and some cotton rope and he neck reined like a champ, we did everything from catch work at rodeo's to moving cattle. Had him 18 years and then the rotten SOB rolled and twisted a gut !! I have no problem telling you, I held his lead & head cried as he was given the shots to put him down. As Mark Twain said, "If there's no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go", but I'm adding horses to the request!!
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »
As Mark Twain said, "If there's no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go", but I'm adding horses to the request!!

Right on.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »
Dear Sltm, G-Dog, and anyone else who hs loved an animal,
            I knew that there must be some of you who have felt the loss of a beloved animal. Thank you for sharing those few words.  I have a Beautiful,German Shepherd Bitch I named Sheba.  I also have two Kity Kats. They are Brother & Sister, but look very different! Teddy Bear the male, is all black, long haired, and has Breat Big Green Eyes, and his Sister, Squeaky, is a mixture of colors on her back ranging from a dark dorsal stripe with the lighter colors gradually changing to a light gold, and when the sun catches her fur, it sortta glows in different shades. Teddy Bear is just a Bg Cuddle Bug, and not infrequently, will jump into my lap senen or eigtht times a day. Squeaky is not quite so out-going, but she will jump onto me too, and when she does it seems even more rewarding, for there is no doubt that she is telling me she trusts me.  And that's a very rewarding feeling to get from an animal!  I love them all very much. I have had the cats for about three years now, and Sheba, since the 2nd. September, 2008!  I rescued her from the Pound, and all people who get to know her, like her. Most of my neighbors here, are Old Ladies of Both Sexes, and they think because she barks a lot, that she is a vicious Dog. People
who know dogs, if I tell them, "Just pat your knee, and call her by name, It's Sheba, and she'll be your friend for life!  Those who do, get a great big had pushed into their legs as she puts her head where she knows they can reach her favorite rubbing spots! Her ears and her Jowls!
            She is an excellent Watchdog. No-one gets within 30 yards of this house, that she doesn't give tongue in a very strident manner, with that deep throated Woof, Woof!  Love Her to Death!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »
 Sorry about your hand and your horse Johnnie. I know what it's like to lose a horse. Mine didn't die, my ex gave my 2 away while I was deployed overseas. One was a 17 hand Doc-Bar gelding. The other was the most beautiful zebra dun mustang stud you've ever seen. I got him from the BLM in Utah. That's why she is my ex.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »
Can't say I'd blame ya, M9!

Offline sltm1

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Damn Gunslinger, we do share certain tastes. We have a black German Shepard, goin' on 9 years, we bought her after our 1st (Chewy, 14 years), had the audacity to wake up dead one morning! Her and two toy poodles are buried out back by the arena. We also have two "new" toy poodles, and by coincidence, the little man's name is "Teddy Bear", I shit you not!!
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
Custer was indeed (IMHO) a horse's ass and I grew up thinking he was the cat's pajamas.

But at least he carried an 1858 Remington. He could have been a member of this forum.
There are times I believe that.. ::)
)L$

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
Cole Younger .... Known to have been highly skilled with a knife.
Can't remember where I heard/read that he was a good Bowie fighter. Spent some time with that myself -- kind of a 1/2-way cross between regular knife and short-sword fighting. Interesting skill. Anybody else?   

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
The main thing that I DID NOT KNOW, was that the safety slots in the Remington Cylinders,(At least as far as Pietts's are concerned!) do not give sufficient bite on the hammer nose to be safe!!!!! 
Well, that's 1 thing you CAN say about the Colts: they DO. At least, my '60 Army does.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
 My 4 fairly new Piettas seem to be securely held in the safety slot as is. 2013-2015 models. I wonder if this fault was corrected when they went too CNC?

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
My 4 fairly new Piettas seem to be securely held in the safety slot as is. 2013-2015 models. I wonder if this fault was corrected when they went too CNC?
Yeah, actually, my newer Remmie (bought in '14) does, too. Before that, can't remember (sold).

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
If any interest party would look in the side of the receiver, you can see where part of the hammer contacts the back of the cylinder before hammers head settlles into the notch.  I've cocked my hammers back and with judicious Dremel grinding removed a bit of meat just below the hammers impact blade. This changed the hammers reach just enough to lock it into the safety notch. This was on my Euroarms '58's, so can't speak for the other imports.
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.