1858banner

Author Topic: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"  (Read 22629 times)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:40 PM »
Gentlemen,
            Betsina, my very first Sheriff's Model was purchased on October 1st. 2011, and has been carried by me almost every day since then. Sometimes in a Mexican Loop Holster of my own making, and when out in public, a Nylon (Ugh!) Shoulder rig.  The ONLY places I have noticed any wear on the blueing, is the very tips of the OUTSIDE edges of the muzzle! Where the Octagonal Exterior of the muzzle rubs against the inside of the holsters!  That's Damned nearly four years!  It says a lot for the quality of Pietta's Blueing! I still say that a nicely blued gun looks the best. It looks Workmanlike, and it looks dignified!  Stainless looks too much like a gun that is a fugitive from an early Gene Autry or Roy Rogers Movie!  Notthat I have anything against Gene or Roy! Roy especially was a supurb Horseman, and the young boys of his era had a wonderful example of Character to model themselves upon.  I saw an early film of Roy entering an arena onTrigger at FULL GALLOP!  He didn't just lope in, he put Trigger into Honest to God Gravel Scratching Mode!  The Children who seemed to compose the majority of the audience went wild with delight!  Made me realize how poor English children like myself, never had such a Role Model to worship!  The children of MY era in America, had examples set before them of Honesty, Integrity, and Fair Play!  Roy toured this country and put on Exhibitions of Horsemanship from Washington State, to Florida, and from Southern Calfornistan, to New York City!  As wel as hundreds of places in between.  Organisrs of small County Fairs, could write to Roy, and he'd come to their Fair and perform for the loal Children!  He never missed an opportunity to tell the children to do as they were told by their parents and teachers! Maybe some of those children didn't mind upsetting their teachers, but upset Roy Rogers? NO WAY!
            ut we have progressed from the Early Days of "Cowboy Movies," to the more serious renderings of what life was reallylike in the "Good Old Days!"  One Movie I really like is John Wayne's, "The Searchers!"  I loved Ward Bond's rendering of the dual faceted Ranger Captain, and Preacher!  The subtle comedy of young Patrick Wayne's rendering of the Young Cavalry Lieutenant, and Bond's continued admonitions to the yung man, "Boy, Mind That Knife!"  Which ended with the young Lt. wounding him in the Buttocks with, "That Knife!"  I had the opportunity to have a conversation with Pilar Wayne when she was exhibiting some of her painting, that she had made of "The Duke," when they were married.  She told me that
"The searchers was a very important Movie to John Wayne. That he really threw himself into the Character of Ethan Edwards!  Soon after talkng to the lady, I watched the movie again, on cassette, and I was able to get more out of it, by watching for the scenes that Pilar had told me, really brought out John Wayne's deep feeling for the story! 
            The only other movie I saw that John Wayne really looked mean, was in, "The War Wagon." The scene where he walks into the saloon, and is challenged by Lomax, and the arch villian, Mr. Pierce,(Bruce Cabot.) As Lomax, (Kirk Douglas, )
realizes that he has to go through with it, now that Mr. Pierce is a witness, Wayne gets really flinty eyed, and then Levi Walking Bear, (Howard Keel,) comes into the saloon acting Drunk, and starts what is probably one of the best Barroom Brawls ever captured on the big screen.
            Footnote: I have never seen The Duke carry a stainless, or Nickel plated Six-gun!!! I rest my case!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:18 AM »
I believe that Roy & Gene were Two Hell of a Good Men, but their movies were
completely out of touch with reality!  Even the Duke, (John Wayne.) made movies that flirted with many inaccuracies!  The Duke DID wear his gun in a rig, that would have been pretty correct for the time most of his movies were set in!  In "Red River," he should have been wearing a
Dragoon or a Remington Beals, and the cattle Drive he went on, would have been in 1866, Seven years before the first Peacemakers were in
production!
                                                                                                                   Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
You know, if you want to talk about inaccuracies in movies, you do know that the whole "quick draw" gun fight is fiction, it never actually happened in the old west. But do you know how it got into our modern culture through Hollywood? The "quick draw duel" is a Japanese thing. The art and study thereof, of how to draw the sword quickly, and dispatch an opponent in one move, is called Iado (if I spelled it right), to differentiate from the practice of sword fighting, which is Kendo, and done with bamboo sticks. Samurai spend years practicing the art. It got into Hollywood because many of the old western movies, are in fact, "westernized" remakes of old Japanese Samurai movies (of which I am sort of a fan). Reset the location, change the names, and replace the swords with six guns, and "The Seven Samurai" becomes "The Magnificent Seven". And in those stories, the quick draw duel at the end (when there is one) is usually critical to the plot. I know, this will start all kinds of trouble, but I've seen the originals, so......
Funny, last night's Nova was about showing that the story of Noah and the Ark is actually a remake of an even older Babalonian story. The biggest difference was the Babalonian ark looked like a big salad bowl. All the key plot elements were there.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
What you say is true. In the Old West most gunfights consisted of getting "the draw on someone" i.e.: pulling and shooting your piece before your opponent realized that he was in a gunfight. Even Wild Bill stood once behind some saloon doors and shot someone with a Derringer before they knew what was happening. Most of John Wesley Hardin's victims were dead before they realized Hardin had pulled and fired at them.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
after fondling both a stainless ROA and a stainless Pietta target, I will say my next 6 gun will be stainless.

And I might stray from the fold, and head down the ROA path, just felt to be a more solid gun.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 01:19:33 AM »
"Stainless is better for easy cleanup and rust resistance" as quoted in the beginning of this thread. I say if you keep any of them clean they'll not be any rust on them. SourMashII I haft to agree the ROA dose have a bit more meat on it and is a fine handgun. I believe if that's what will make you happy than go for it. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
"Stainless is better for easy cleanup and rust resistance" as quoted in the beginning of this thread. I say if you keep any of them clean they'll not be any rust on them. SourMashII I haft to agree the ROA dose have a bit more meat on it and is a fine handgun. I believe if that's what will make you happy than go for it. (T^

Pleasing accolades here, and at $500 for an unfired stainless 7.5" model... I'm having a hard time saying no...

http://www.milesfortis.com/church/akc24.htm

saving this \/ for later reading...
http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/ROA_complete_.pdf
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:52:40 AM by SourMashII »
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »

Dell, it IS nice to come home from the range knowing that if you don't get to cleaning the gun that evening, all will be well in a day or two. I've made that mistake a time or two with my blued versions and paid for it. ^y%
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sh00ter787

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
The only stainless black powder I own is a 5.5" Uberti Remy, it is my favourite. Just by its looks, nothing to do with cleaning, it in fact takes longer to clean than my blued Remingtons.
As it is stainless, all residue and muck generally is visible and my OCD kicks in..... My others just get a spruce up and wipe down (more than sufficient) but the stainless one gets stripped right down after every outing. This may be just me but it looks so pretty when its clean!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »

Dell, it IS nice to come home from the range knowing that if you don't get to cleaning the gun that evening, all will be well in a day or two. I've made that mistake a time or two with my blued versions and paid for it. ^y%

Nobody said these guns were easy, but after a day of shooting you just need to clean the thing. Keep um clean and the rust will stay away. In my early days I let one go all night and cleaned it the next day. I was using Pyrodex powder in that gun. I cleaned it the next day and it came out fine. Had it have been real black powder would I have got the same result? I don't know, but in that case I would say clean the gun as soon as you can get around to it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
I do. And it's always a total 'Strip and dip'. Problems arise though, when you take three or four guns and end up shooting them all. Not enough hours in the evening to always get to all of them...

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
I do. And it's always a total 'Strip and dip'. Problems arise though, when you take three or four guns and end up shooting them all. Not enough hours in the evening to always get to all of them...

My goodness CK. I like shooting but never that many in one day. (^h I understand your rush home to get started on them. I guess that's why I never would shoot but one at a time. You can always hope for another day, but my range is out back and in the woods all around the house. If I do go to a range with someone I may carry a rifle and a pistol or revolver even that takes a little time to clean up.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
He has a rather large adopted "family", fer sure!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »

My goodness CK. I like shooting but never that many in one day. (^h I understand your rush home to get started on them. I guess that's why I never would shoot but one at a time. You can always hope for another day, but my range is out back and in the woods all around the house. If I do go to a range with someone I may carry a rifle and a pistol or revolver even that takes a little time to clean up.
Well, you never bring just one, in case of "issues" So when you run out of one size ball, or wads, or one gets goofy on ya, you start looking at the others, and pretty soon....
Yep. Four's a bitch to clean in one night.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
I'm telling you right now if I shot four black powder revolvers in one day I'd have a problem on my hands. I take my time cleaning and a rifle and a six gun takes me a little time to get cleaned up. If you were to do it every day you would most likely find it getting easier and faster. It don't take me long to clean a rifle. The Colts seem to take me the longest to clean, the Remmies not so long. If I tried what CKs talking about I might pull my hair out. :P )L$

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 02:29:49 AM »
 It's a little better with T7, if u can't get too it today it'll be alright until the weekend. I've never waited more than a few days though.  (T^
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:34:05 AM by M9Powell »