1858banner

Author Topic: German Jaeger stutzer  (Read 697 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
German Jaeger stutzer
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:37:53 PM »

Just!! It´s a carbine! A swamp barrel such even. With a set trigger setup AND rather fast rifling twist in an approx 17,2mm caliber!  {:( {:(

Huh? WTF?
Yeah, cause.. as an educated guess i´d wager it was made around 1750.

Uhu. Rather typical "coarse" rifling alright, but as noted above the twist is rather fast. Just from looking at it with the tail screw out i´d say around the 1:30 mark or so.

Thus at least I arrive on that the correct choice of boolit in this case is not a roundball, as much as that probably was what they used, but more so a Minie style boolit. I bet such a slug will take to the innards of that thing like no tomorrow.

Rifle is with me to have a number of quirks ironed out. Like the plates of the triggers were worn to the point where they couldn´t be used as intended anymore.
The "fly" of the tumbler is gone, need to fab one. The trigger guard all loose and what not...

The barrel being more of a bull barrel than a swamp one really.. in spite the rather hefty dimensions the weight of the thing is still reasonable - much thanks to the carbine dimensions i suppose.

Dating it. Well, it sure does NOT sport a "ring" hammer but more so one of previous design. In turn the lockplate and the looks of it.. how inletting is done and so on.
So yeah. I´d say 1750-ish somewhere.

Which makes one think doesn´t it? Cause, that fast a rifling twist.. the set trigger... the lock innards and so on. I guess this was a rather expensive piece once made.

Brought the thing to the range today, for sorts of a mockup trial and it performed flawless. Granted, totally "wrong" bullets, patched at that but.. she went boom when asked to at least. We kept it to a max 70 grains of powder..

But.
To get on track with this one i believe we need to do two things. First up actually calculate rifling twist and after that.. Daniel, it´s time to rev the damn CNC up again!
Sry to say i believe this will be the ONLY way to get to terms with the inherent accuracy of it. For better for worse.

Then again. Shooting flintlocks is.. special. Different. Like you´re carrying around the worlds largest BIC lighter. That will HOPEFULLY go off when asked to  )L$ )L$

But DAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUYYYYYYM they´re cool though and what´s more they CERTAINLY school you at keeping the barrel put as you pull the trigger!
The shutter time alone.. To me mentioned though there´s a VAST difference from lock to lock. Manton i Britain at the time for instance.. one of his locks, and the things are about as fast as is a cap version of the rifle.

As i progress here expect updates. It is an INSANELY cool thing of history and.. it shoots at least. Seeing the dimensions of the barrel, the tail screw has been out and threads checked aso... i´m seriously considering trying minor charges of T7 in this one.

A number of us on here are VERY aware what T7 is to guns with short barrels so.. If i can get away with say 50-60 grains volume equivalent T7.. i just bet it´ll perform like there´s no tomorrow.
DVC - 2021

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: German Jaeger stutzer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »
That's in great shape! I bet you'd bee fine with those loads too...... VERY nice!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:36 AM »
Thanks for bringing another great piece of history to us and the pictures are awesome as always 😀
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You always come up with the coolest pieces. It's good to see these uncommon pieces given new life.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 03:52:54 AM »
"...the world's largest BIC lighter..."
 )L$