1858banner

Author Topic: Range Report On my new GPR  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Hylander

Range Report On my new GPR
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
So this morning I took the new GPR for its first firing.
Started at 25 yds. to get on paper.
Windage was dead on, but had to elevation all the way out until only one thread held it together.
Fired two rounds to get it to POA.
Then fired this three round group  ])M

Then moved to 50yds. and fired these two

Then things fell apart.
Shots went all over, so I switched my load components.
Even worse.
I stop and go done range to retrieve my patches.
Most are completely blown through, my lube is not holding up.
First rounds with Tallow looked good, but last few were bad.
Then nearly all the Mink oil ones were blown clean threw or completely in pieces.
Recommend me some lube ideas please.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Range Report On my new GPR
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
Pure olive oil or a beeswax/olive oil mix. I use olive oil with my .54 and 90 grains of powder. I used the same when I used a .50. They  scorch a little in the center and fray around the edges but don't burn through.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline drobs

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:20 AM »
Groups look pretty decent. Are you using the sights that came on the rifle from the factory?

I understand replacing the rear with a peep sight is a pretty common modification.
NRA Life Member

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »
Hylander,   I had the same problem with a GPR that I bought last summer.   I've only shot it one time and did just fine at 50 yards but couldn't keep it on paper at 100 yards.   I was using .490 balls and commercial lubed patches that came with the rifle over 60 grains of FF Goex.   I don't know what kind of lube was on the patches but I presume they were Traditions brand and were lubed with Traditions Muzzle Loader lube which is basically Bore Butter.   The patches held up well but I think they are too thin.  I'm going to try .20 pillow ticking and my own lube next time.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
I'm guessing the first shots were hitting very low  so you raised the rear site to get up on paper.
move the rear sight about 1/2 way down  now take a jewelers file and shave top of front site just a few strokes
Now shoot it with a standard load. if now on paper either file just bit more  or adjust the rear sight
move the rear sight to change the poi    do you still have enough adjustment to move the POI where you want it at 50 and 100yds?
if not repeat above.
Now that you have that  try a bit lighter charge  drop to 80   85 gr

Mines a mountain rifle  1:48 twist  had to fine tune it that way 40 years ago. Mine was a kit.
Once you have it fine tuned for round ball  try a conical  and see where it prints

Also 90 gr may be too high a charge thus throwing the shots and burning through the patch

using .490 RB pillow ticking may be too thick a patch  try a .010  or ,012   well lubed
the most basic mixture home made  is lard or tallow  and beeswax
melt some of each at same time in separate pans then combine (mix thoroughly) equal amounts of each in another container let set up.   if too hard melt a measured amount of tallow  pour that into your mix and remelt it to thoroughly blend go until you get the viscosity you want

My cva .50 prefers 80 gr not the recommended 90   anymore all I shoot is prelubed  conicals
I only used paper the first 2 or 3 times to get on paper
After that I use a steel gong  hung in a tree   started at  16" IIRC.   then worked down to 12"
if I hit the gong solid I was in the kill zone for  Antelope. Mule Deere and Elk
I could hear it hit back then from a 100 yd
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Hylander

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
Hylander,   I had the same problem with a GPR that I bought last summer.   I've only shot it one time and did just fine at 50 yards but couldn't keep it on paper at 100 yards.   I was using .490 balls and commercial lubed patches that came with the rifle over 60 grains of FF Goex.   I don't know what kind of lube was on the patches but I presume they were Traditions brand and were lubed with Traditions Muzzle Loader lube which is basically Bore Butter.   The patches held up well but I think they are too thin.  I'm going to try .20 pillow ticking and my own lube next time.

Hi Mike,
The GPR has deep grooves at .010 so your patches might have been to thin.
My Lands feel sharp, so I am going to lap the barrel today, then mix up a new lube.
.020 pillow ticking has always worked well in all my other rifles.
I only shoot RB.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
That's what I'm thinking Hylander.   I think the patch is not engaging the grooves well enough.    Probably the reason the guy sold it.  He bought a bunch of stuff then couldn't make it shoot.   Sold it to me for $200.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »
Mines a mountain rifle  1:48 twist  had to fine tune it that way 40 years ago. Mine was a kit.
Once you have it fine tuned for round ball  try a conical  and see where it prints

The GPR is a 1:60 twist. It's not going to shoot conicals worth a crap. It will however shoot minie balls pretty good.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
What DD4 said; file the front sight, but you can, and probably should, wait until you get a proper-shooting load.

The standard load in my Investarms Deerstalker (same make as the GPR, but with a faster, 48" twist) is 110 grains of Goex 2F, a .495" ball and I don't recall the patch thickness.  It's a TIGHT fit in any case.  I've never seen a "burnt through" patch, or a very torn one, or any such, and I've recovered a lot of them.  The edges fray (as though they'd been shot out of a gun, even), but that's it.  Between my son and I, we've killed a pile of deer with that very set-up.

I don't believe the particular lube formula is critical.  It's way more about fit.  that tight fir I use will allow only about two shots before swabbing the bore with a spit patch.  That works out great for a deer rifle though, because you're not likely to fire more than one or two shots.

Also, I highly recommend installing a patch box.  They're VERY handy.  With ram rod tips, patches and a clean-out wrench in the patch box, and a couple of "quick-shot" reload tubes plus a short starter in a pocket, a capper on a lanyard around the neck, you can leave the possibles bag at home and you're good to go, lighter and handier, for a day hunt.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)