1858banner

Author Topic: T7 flashes in the pan.........  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
T7 flashes in the pan.........
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
took my 81 yr old Dad for a shoot this morning....1st time in years and we had a great time shooting percussion and flint rifles.

loading the cap popper with T7 and was explaining to Dad about these new "safety" powders and how they're harder to ignite than holy black.

as a demo I loaded the (empty) flinters pan with 3f T7 and said " see, it won't ignite in a pan".......pulled the trigger and POOF......off it burns....

thinking this was a 1 time fluke, I tried it again......and POOF.....off it burnt

needless to say, I was surprised and chagrinned....twice

either i'm getting quite the spark or T7 isn't nearly as hard to ignite as pyrodex was.......

what's y'alls input here?
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
Re: T7 flashes in the pan.........
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 01:02:22 PM »
I've never had a problem with Triple 7, Jim Shockeys or American pioneer in a pan. Pyrodex was so greasy with my revolvers that after I used all I had up, I never tried it in anything else.

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
that's odd PHD........pyro always left a dry cake in/on my guns and T7 just leaves a white film.
real black leaves an oily mess that to me, cleans up easier than substitutes.

the T7 burnoff WAS noticibly slower than 4f goex....but i'm tickled that it did burn.......just in case I ever run out of BP.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
Now you got me wanting to give it a try in my flint lock pistol. Thanks for sharing.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
that's odd PHD........pyro always left a dry cake in/on my guns and T7 just leaves a white film.

the T7 burnoff WAS noticibly slower than 4f goex....but i'm tickled that it did burn.......just in case I ever run out of BP.

It's like a greasy soot that gets all over everything. It could be the Alabama humidity or a bad pound of powder, or any number of other things, but I had that problem every time. I even changed gun oils a couple of times thinking it might be a chemical reaction of some kind.

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »

It's like a greasy soot that gets all over everything. It could be the Alabama humidity or a bad pound of powder, or any number of other things, but I had that problem every time. I even changed gun oils a couple of times thinking it might be a chemical reaction of some kind.

i'm just north of Anniston Al...........so the humidity I know well.

i'm just glad to know that if I run low on BP, something else will suffice in a pinch as to buy locally it takes a trip to Leeds (Bass Pro) or order online and pay the hazmat.

if you're near Anniston/Jacksonville/Oxford/Piedmont and might like to shoot sometime, or start splitting an occasional case or so of BP, and the hazmat fee.......just PM me.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
Dellbert,
  You  can always shoot full house T7 loads in your Dragoon!  Make it bark!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »

i'm just north of Anniston Al...........so the humidity I know well.

i'm just glad to know that if I run low on BP, something else will suffice in a pinch as to buy locally it takes a trip to Leeds (Bass Pro) or order online and pay the hazmat.

if you're near Anniston/Jacksonville/Oxford/Piedmont and might like to shoot sometime, or start splitting an occasional case or so of BP, and the hazmat fee.......just PM me.

Our store is closer to you than the Bass Pro (and cheaper) and we carry those powders and tons of other BP gear if you ever need anything. We're just down I-59 from you (of course I-20 to Leeds might be more convenient than cutting through Piedmont or Gadsden to hit I-59, depending on where you are). 

Up until a few years ago Shotgun Sports in Anniston carried BP and Triple 7, but I do not think they do anymore.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
OK, so it burns in the pan, but don't bet on it until you've used it extensively in both the pan AND as a main charge.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
no no Omni..........still going to use BP for flintlocks.....just nice to know about t7