1858banner

Author Topic: Decent hunting bullet?  (Read 4336 times)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
Decent hunting bullet?
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any shooting time with these bullets (supposed to be excellent hunting bullets)? Haven't shot'em myself, was just wondering if anyone else has and what results they had.

Offline JAX71224

Re: Decent hunting bullet?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
 That's the first I've ever seen of those, but they seem a lot lighter weight than I usually load. My hunting load with a Knight inline is 2 pellets of "50 grain" pyrodex behind a 240 or 250 grain jhp pistol bullet in a sabot. Sighted in for 100yd gives great accuracy and good groups at the range, usually within 2 inches. I bet those light weight bullets really zing with a lot more muzzle velocity but their terminal performance appears to be coming from the frangible aspect of the bullet. Their videos are pretty convincing with DRT [dead right there] results!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
A 45 in a sabot, it's lighter than a 490 round ball.  A sintered metal powder construction, designed to blow up on contact, and leave a lighter portion to go on and penetrate.  Far higher BC than a round ball, it should leave the muzzle faster and retain energy at a greater distance.

In my opinion it's vastly over-thinking the projectile.  I won't be trying it, but that's not to say it wouldn't work well on thin-skinned game.  The main thing is that your rifle shoot accurately, and so if this bullet/sabot combo shoots better from your rifle, then by all means give it a try in the field.

I've taken at least one shot on a deer with round ball, successfully, which I'm fairly certain would have been disastrous if the same exact shot had been made using a fragmenting, high speed, lightweight round like that one.  It was a quartering away shot, aiming for the heart, where the ball first struck the hip, then penetrated all the way up into the heart/lung cavity, and out the far shoulder, 25" of penetration.  With a lightweight, sintered bullet designed for maximum shock, I think you end up with a horribly gut shot animal that runs away and goes on to die several days later of sepsis.  Preferably, you don't take that shot at all.

Just my initial take on it.  I could be all wet though.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
There are a couple of YouTube's on these bullets, looks like for deer and such would be highly effective (looks like complete delivery of all bullet energy)!
                                                                         Got me to thinking a package or 2 of them bullets, one of these cheap rifles (plus the powder I already have,-) be all set!
                                                                                                ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:05:15 PM by old fogey »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
There are a couple of YouTube's on these bullets, looks like for deer and such would be highly effective (looks like complete delivery of all bullet energy)!
                                                                         Got me to thinking a package or 2 of them bullets, one of these cheap rifles (plus the powder I already have,-) be all set!
                                                                                                ;D

To me when I see complete energy delivery that means no pass through. That is something I do NOT want in a hunting bullet. Just my two cents and worth considerably less than that.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »
                                                                                                ;D

To me when I see complete energy delivery that means no pass through. That is something I do NOT want in a hunting bullet. Just my two cents and worth considerably less than that.

And many well known African big-game hunters would agree with you Hawg.