1858banner

Author Topic: Starr carbine  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Starr carbine
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 08:28:08 AM »
Very nice progress on a very worthy recipient.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »
Great job!!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 05:43:09 AM »
Thx guys.

Turned yet another matrix to roll cartridges. This time out, to fill the chamber, it ended up being 14,2mm*42mm. (0,559" * 1,65").
Thing still roomy tho. Still takes inxs of 90 grains.

This is a good thing however. Hands me a cylindrical paper cartridge that takes the powder needed AND an ample size grease cookie plus some "washers".
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 04:14:28 AM »
As noted i took the measurements for that bore-rider off of a YT video, and believe them to be correct by any means.
But..
Just a hunch, a notion. So turned a No of plugs out of aluminium to shove down the bore and that 13,30mm dimension for the actual part that comes to rest on the bore is off.
So.
We altered that to a more fitting 13,75mm. Thought it at least would be worthwile to mention...
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »

Here we go...
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 06:29:55 AM »

That´s a 100+ paper hulls. As stated these came out rather roomy, not so intended. Name of the game i guess.

For lack of the "correct" boolit i tried loading a few up with the 515 Sharps ringtail. As it turns out these are bore-riders in the Starr too! Yep. Their lesser diameter, the ringtail has a pronounced drive band at the rear, makes them drop right in.

Of course the chamber wasn´t thought to use bore-riders from the onset, bore-riders leaving that most of the boolit will disappear into the rifling leaving that part of the chamber a void.
Thus, i guess, the roomy cartridges. 90 grains+ all said n done.
No matter. These are loaded up with 65 grains of powder, rest is filler. All good.

Had made my calculations on the money as far as the various diameters and ogives, no worries there. Buuuut... can´t see the intent was for an almost 600 grains heavy boolit.
Will need to readress that, question is how.?

That said at the moment it´s all about getting the thing up and running. So.. said 590 boolit coupled with 65 grains of powder n.. filler..

We´re good to go, and as the diameters are on par what can be expected is a different point of where it prints i guess. No worries there either.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »
Guys.
Where to start?
1st thing´s first. The thing runs like a locomotive. Period.

Yes. Living history. Yep. I´m spoiled. Rotten.  (?^

This.. this is the dangerous end. Promise.

Yep. We shot a little of this, a little of that. Per usual.

Then boys. What you´ve been waiting for.
A civil war Starr in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtTElkX0uQU

Indeed.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »

Yeah,look. Bore riders n paper cartridge guns. Don´t get me started.

Recall i made these with 65 grains of powder and rice as filler? No charge ladder no nothing, just plain what they were referenced with back in the day. Although a rather lot heavier boolit but.. nevermind.

Rifling of the thing is above decent for an old original. I´d even call it good. But see... Still.

One MAJOR drawback of these guns are their sights. The rear sight is a friggin JOKE, and this needs to be adressed. As is you´re friggin GUESSING where the tip of the front sight is at.
Yes!
It is THAT bad!

That said. That there three holes from a sitting position.. hardly being able to tell where the sights are at.

Did i mention that bore-riders and paper cartridge guns goes together real well? Did i?` (?^ (?^

Going to handle that rear sight but.. have put her up for sale. Where that´ll end is anybodys guess.. But if she´s still around next outing i´ll go at it with a rear sight we can USE.  :9)
DVC - 2021