1858banner

Author Topic: Colt 1860 Army No 28 649  (Read 204 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Colt 1860 Army No 28 649
« on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:12 PM »
Yep.
Bringing it saw life in early 1862.

So. This is somewhat of a forum "slut". Has changed hands a lot lately, and i doubt it´s been massively different previous that.
Why?
Well. It wont shoot, and as it turns out.. well, read on.

Been with me a couple of times, and a while back i was asked to replace the axis pin - which i did. Worn, of course, but with the new one in place radial play was about nil so..

Ditto. End shake on the large side of things, so i welded the entry up and reshaped on the lathe. All good i guess.
So?
What´s the issue then?

Well. In a nutshell, this little bugger. It elapsed me completely to shove the bore scope down the barrel but as i finally did i understood perfectly well why it wouldn´t shoot worth a crap and to part actually come apart!
As it turns out the 6 holes are anything but even. Some placed to high and what not. Have since thus handed the piece a rather liberal forcing cone job, and will now try it out as such, but in all honesty..
What gets me is that the gun is all numbers correct yadda yadda and what not right. So HOW has this TURD come to pass through the gates at the Colt factory?
Cause at a minimum it must have spat lead all over the place, yes even with end shake in order.
Anyways...
It´s all reset now and all in good working order. Sry to say the threads for the axis pin in the frame was molested to the point where Heli-Coil was the only solution.
That said though, that job came out 100% so from a pure practical POW we´re all good to go.

Mark. In contrast to our beloved Remmys the original old Colts are very very often in a rather poor state from a mech point of view. Rattle cases if ever.
After having tossed the entire BOOK at this thing it is anything BUT anymore and i honestly expect it to deliver accordingly.

Yep. Tighter than a hammered to death door nail now... Nipples are of course new too.

Rifling i´d say isn´t only fair it´s even better than ok. However it showed a tad of pitting at the utmost end of the barrel innards and in turn rather heavy muzzle wear on the outside.
Not so anymore.

Yeah. On a general whole i´d say we´re in business. Hand as well as bolt and springs and what not - new. Timing is absolutely 100..like clockwork and it locks up like a damn vault.
Only thing missing, as this is an early gun, is the "plug screw" for attaching the shoulder stock. These earlier guns often had that option.

Uhu. Indeed. What´s there to add really?

Yep, that too. Mark the notch for the shoulder stock.

Mm. IF this thing can be had to shoot i´m actually giving thought to letting it bathe too. Ie; reblue the thing where it´s supposed to be. Got like a bunch of guns more or less ready for me to fire the burners up and..
But nah.
One step at a time. If nothing else i got it cheap and thus it really doesn´t matter as much if it takes a little while for this one to come full circle.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Colt 1860 Army No 28 649
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »
A couple ?? and comments...

First, I applaud you for bringing yet another wall-hanger back to the fold. I'm quite sure this will shoot way better than before, probably better than it ever did!

Next, I'm amazed at the originals that land on your work bench. Astounded, actually. Because the type of guns you are working on are (for a working stiff like me) pretty much, well.."unobtanium"...even for a beat-to-snot, non-working model! Since originals (not Italian imports) are all that are allowed for the general populace over there, are prices cheaper and the market different? Or do you simply buy high and sell higher?

Lastly, I appreciate you sharing these adventures with us. I only wish you would share your exploits (especially on Colt-flavored revolvers) at Colt Country. The guys over there would eat threads like this up like Doritos...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:02:45 PM »
Yeah Capt'
I know you addressed Racing "are prices cheaper and the market different?" and I almost fell off the chair from severe paroxysms of laugher.
If we're lucky we can get hold of carcasses for just under $1000, otherwize we spend $1500 to $3000. But then again, gunaholism doesn't come cheap.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 10:39:03 PM »
A couple ?? and comments...

First, I applaud you for bringing yet another wall-hanger back to the fold. I'm quite sure this will shoot way better than before, probably better than it ever did!

Next, I'm amazed at the originals that land on your work bench. Astounded, actually. Because the type of guns you are working on are (for a working stiff like me) pretty much, well.."unobtanium"...even for a beat-to-snot, non-working model! Since originals (not Italian imports) are all that are allowed for the general populace over there, are prices cheaper and the market different? Or do you simply buy high and sell higher?

Lastly, I appreciate you sharing these adventures with us. I only wish you would share your exploits (especially on Colt-flavored revolvers) at Colt Country. The guys over there would eat threads like this up like Doritos...

I haven't been to a CW relic show in years but prices were a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. If nothing else you get to handle a lot of original stuff you might never see otherwise.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:40:43 PM »
Another fine job! I hope you keep posting here.....the Colt guys can just come over and look......:)
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
@ Captain.

Len about sums it up as for the situation over here. Expensive..nah, but a fair amount of money though. Ie; the guns costs of money alright but as long as you take care of the gun in question you´ll get your money back the day you decide to sell.
In short summary.

Me in turn, i´m just the merry hobbyist where it all turned to hell in a handbasket!  )L$ )L$
It really has grown out of hand but i still have to say that i find immense pleasure pulling the various jobs off and what´s more i´ve sure as hell learnt a bit due all this.
This place, to me, has come to account for parts of that, no doubt. So.. first and foremost, thank you  ])M ALL of you.

Has it come to the point where i make any appreciable money off of it? Nah. Not really, and nor is it the point to me. The hobby though OTOH is.
It´s to where i´ve started to HAVE to say no to ppl, sry to say. Then again, i´m a one man show in all of this and have NO INTENTION WHAT SO EVER to have that change.

But yeah. I guess none of us saw any of this coming, me the least.
DVC - 2021