1858banner

Author Topic: Just discussion on "flints", nothing more  (Read 10640 times)

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
Re: Just discussion on "flints", nothing more
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
Where is everybody getting their flint from? Not all flint is equal. IMO

snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline AZshooter

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
You can also use alternative "flints" based on historical record, and I've gotten to try/see a few in action.
In the U.S. Chert was very popular, especially in areas weher flint was unheard of. In France a certain type of amber was sometimes used. Pyrite (fools gold) actually works quite well, even though it is a booger to knap.

Actually French Amber flints refer to the honey color of the flint itself & not to the composition.  Try as you might, striking actual amber (ancient tree sap) will never produce sparks.

Track of the Wolf has French Flints in addition to the (much superior) Tom Fuller Flints.   I have a particular Fusil de Chasse I thought would look more distinctive with the amber colored French flint.  It looks nice, but the French flints are more brittle and tend to chip badly during use & need more frequent replacement than the Fuller English Flints.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
My experience has been just the opposite (although I can't remember if I have any Fuller flints). The French flints have stood up well. I also bought some flints a few years ago from a guy in Missouri; he knaps them from local chert and they also work well. Oh, and this has been poo-pooed on other forums, but I store my French flints in a small peanut jar full of water.

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »
Presumably you wipe them dry before use?

Flint and chert and jasper are cryptocrystaline forms of quartz.
Sounds like a security clearance level.  Cryptocrystalline.
In the family of Chalcedony.
Sounds like a medieval fortified town.
At any rate, the composition is mostly silicon and oxygen as SiO2 less than 30 microns in size, aka "microcrystalline".
The difference between stone types/names here is the color and the amount of light that can pass through. Agate tends to be banded in color. Jasper is the name assigned to opaque agate, and is opaque because of additional "impurities" in the stone's composition.

Because the use of a stone is to create sparks, and the sparks are tiny slivers of steel scraped off the frizzen, the shaving edge of the stone must be harder than steel. The edge should be sufficiently durable to continue shaving well repeatedly, shot after shot. The stone material needs to wear down in a predictable manner, which is why picking a stone with few impurities is important (the impurities being weak spots in the stone) and why placing the cutting edge in relation to the natural grain of the stone is critical to get good shaving action.

If you have grown crystals you know that the stones grow with a vertical grain, except where there are impurities.  Impurities are to stones like knots are to wood grain.

I don't see any hurt in storing crystal in water, but then I don't see any value either, other than they look glossy.  Is it possible that the water prevents free oxygen from attacking the impurities and making them weaker still?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:10:53 AM by Classanr »
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
I pooh poohed the commercial sawn flints (like TC sells) until I tried some in one of my flintlock pistols.  Worked great in that lock!  As many sparks as anything else tried and long life without big chunks splitting off.

Only problem is finding right size for that small lock.  YMMV.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »
after much trial I now use white German agate (that I have to carefully chisel down to size)....I get it from either Sportsmans guide, October Country, or Southern Outfitters (can't honestly remember which w/o looking).

sparks like crazy and lasts forever....a bit rough on frizzens, but I keep 2 spares in my possibles bag, along with frizzen springs and lock springs etc.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »
I do stock and sell  various sizes of flints.  Most are sawed.
And my price is a whole lot better than most any commercial place.

Some are European some domestic, Arkansas
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »
sparks like crazy and lasts forever....a bit rough on frizzens, but I keep 2 spares in my possibles bag, along with frizzen springs and lock springs etc.

Good point. The flint is gouging the frizzen to make the sparks; more sparks = less frizzen.  Source of your backup parts?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:40 PM »
i'm sorry, named it wrong.....it's Old South Firearms (& BP goodies)...not Southern Outfitters.
they're not far away so shipping is usually 2 days.
October Country is also a good source, but being in Idaho, shipping time to Bama is absurd.

DDUSMC.......if you have small white agates, I need to purchase several.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
i'm sorry, named it wrong.....it's Old South Firearms (& BP goodies)...not Southern Outfitters.
October Country is also a good source, but being in Idaho, shipping time to Bama is absurd.

Hey, that's us! You aren't the fella that bought six frizzens at a go about three weeks ago are you? The only flints we sell are English flints, but we have been playing around with other ones to see about expanding that line. Pennsylvania, Idaho, SoCal, Ohio and even Alabama have gone nuts over flinters in the past year or so - more so than ever before.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »

nothing white
mostly a coffee colored brown / tan  some darker have to dig the box out.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »
Was just reading October country's home page. what I read is, each item is priced separately,
but then there is a flat rate charge of $14 added to the order ( which may go down a bit based on size of order)  and then the freight is added.   doesn't sound the cheapest or most reasonable to me.
2        3/4"  agate flints (unavailable currently)  $12.49   kinda pricey
1            any size English flint     $1.95      that's better

track of wolf
English flints     $2    any size under 1"
American sawed  5/8 x 3/4   $2.49

Dixie   gunworks

5/8   American sawed    $3   for 6    Dixie claims these are very inferior
5/8 Arkansas  sawed    $8.25  for 3   

Mine   English or Arkansas     $1.65 each      the English are rough shipped out
                                                             The Arkansas are Sawed
I have 1/2  5/8   3/4 1"

------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
yep, I avoid OC as much as possible due to their pricing and "maybe reduced" (not always) shipping.

let my payday hit the bank and around Thurs. or Fri i'll PM you for info on a pack of the 1/2 " Arkansas flints....probably 10 of them.

thanks !

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
yep, I avoid OC as much as possible due to their pricing and "maybe reduced" (not always) shipping.

let my payday hit the bank and around Thurs. or Fri i'll PM you for info on a pack of the 1/2 " Arkansas flints....probably 10 of them.

thanks !
I'll have to count them see how many I got.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline AZshooter

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 04:01:21 AM »
I'm using lead. A .454 RB knocked out flat gives just the right size. Bend it to a U-form and cut out for the screw. Lead is the only metal that doesn't get harder from deformation treatment. It also kind of floats under pressure, so you have to re-tighten the cock screw from time to time.
I haven't tried leather. Must do that next session!
There seems to be ongoing controversy about lead or not (and not just in this forum).  Chambers contends that lead flint wrap is bad for his locks & will void the warranty.  From an engineering viewpoint, that's BS, since you're not using lead pipe or roof flashing.  Thin lead wrap (mine, anyway) weigh about 2 grams & there's not a single lock so fragile that that insignificant amount of extra weight will do damage.  BUT they're his locks, his warranty & his rules.  For everyone else, including the British to modern day locks, lead is a viable option. 

I have used lead wrap for many years in my Lyman / Investarms flintlocks & also on a Kettler .62 cal Fusil.  It holds the flint more securely & I don't get chatter marks on the frizzen face that I've seen when using leather as I did in years past.

I learned the basics of flintlock handling years ago from an old guy who brought an armload of flint rifles out to shoot.  I thought he was a gunmaker testing his product before delivery to a customer, since he never had the same rifle to shoot at every subsequent range session.  Ends up they were all originals from a family legacy collection passed down thru generations.  He said that he hated to change flints.  Seems in his great grandfathers' day when many of these rifles were built, a local gunsmith would change out flints.  The procedure involved boiling the leather wrap, wrapping it around the flint, then clamping it into the cock jaws.  He said he had a musket & shotgun that used lead wrap, but those had larger locks.

I've heard also of folks using hot glue guns to glue leather into place, especially to secure irregularly-shaped flints.  I've made it a point to only use flat flints without a hump.  they position better and clamp more securely.