1858banner

Author Topic: Gotta love it  (Read 5196 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Gotta love it
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »
Hi, you gotta love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7mgJQ3Nmo

Regards,
Richard
There�s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Re: Gotta love it
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »
Hi, you gotta love this:

Regards,
Richard

Hi, this video has me wanting to get out back to shoot my Traditions Old Ironside at my steel targets. I should be able to make an adapter where I can use my laser boresighter to aim the cannon. Load the cannon and then aim it with the laser boresighter. That should be able to let me aim the cannon to a minute of 8" steel target from 25yds.

Regards,
Richard
There�s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
Great, just frickin great. Now I want one. (k-
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I'd prefer a model of a Napoleon or a Parrott Rifle in .50.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
I'd prefer a model of a Napoleon or a Parrott Rifle in .50.

Hi Kaeto, I would have also preferred the Traditions Gold Napoleon .69 caliber instead of the .69 caliber Old Ironsides, but I had to go with what my budget allowed. 14ga lubed wads work well with the .69 caliber. So far I have just shot blank salute loads using 60gr of Black MZ. The cannon makes a nice report and will be useful for the 4th of July. I bought some .69 caliber balls to do some accuracy shooting on my steel target range as soon as the weather warms up some more. These model cannons are just too cool.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Prospector

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
Hi Richard,
Are those cannons smooth bores?  Why do people always use fuses instead of just pouring some powder on top and lighting it with a torch or match, the way they did it in 1812?

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
Hi Richard,
Are those cannons smooth bores?  Why do people always use fuses instead of just pouring some powder on top and lighting it with a torch or match, the way they did it in 1812?

Hi Prospector, yes they are smoothbores which load easier than rifles. You probably could fire the model cannons as you suggest, but using a fuse won't disturb aim and lets the shooter stand further away when the cannon discharges. They do produce a good cloud of smoke and muzzle blast.

BTW, during the War of Northern Aggression cannons were fired by friction primers set off with a pull string.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:44:19 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Calibre32

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 05:05:39 AM »
Do you like this one...18" cast Bronze, rifled barrel....Jim

I was here and you are not, now you are here and I am not

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 05:19:12 AM »
Do you like this one...18" cast Bronze, rifled barrel....Jim

Hi Jim, that's a very nice looking cannon. What caliber is it and do you shoot it?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
Hi, I just received the laser boresight that I intend on converting into a laser aiming device for my Traditions Old Ironside cannon, see:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dot-Laser-BoreSighter-Bore-Sight-Kit-for-22-50-Caliber-Rifles-Handgun-US-/301077690790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4619a0f9a6

I have 3/4" diameter free machining brass on order to make a sleeve for the cannon bore that the laser boresight will be installed. The OD of the sleeve will be machined to the ID of the cannon bore, 0.695.

The method of use will be to load the cannon, insert the laser boresight, and then aim the cannon using the laser. IMO, this should be the nuts for doing accurate cannon aiming. I will just need to remember to remove the boresight before firing.  )L$ )L$

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
Interesting idea about using the laser bore slighter.....but you still need to adjust powder charge and barrel angle.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
Interesting idea about using the laser bore slighter.....but you still need to adjust powder charge and barrel angle.

Hi mazo, the range I will be shooting the cannon is only 25yds to steel targets. I doubt that the red laser will be bright enough to use it at longer ranges. Projectile drop should be minimal. There is a wood wedge that came with the cannon used for setting elevation.

Regards,
Richard