1858banner

Author Topic: An unloaded 1803  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
An unloaded 1803
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Got in my order from Track of the wolf, including a couple different styles of bullet pullers.

Squirted some Muzzle Magic Cleaner down the bore and let it sit a couple hours. Screwed a bullet puller onto one of my one-piece cleaning rods, started it with a rap from a rubber mallet, and screwed it home.

Tied the handle of the rod to a post in the yard, and yanked back on the rifle. Heard a pop and it felt like the rod pulled free, but when I pulled the rod out, the ball was on the end of the rod.

And is it odd looking...

It looks a bit like some sort of shotgun slug seated down the barrel flat side forward. The patch it was wrapped in feels like felt. Scrubbed the bore down with hot, soapy water until the water came out clear. Then dried it and oiled it.

Now for the test firing (Who knows when I'll have time for that, though I got in a batch of British flints from TOW this morning)
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: An unloaded 1803
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Did I miss something? I knew you had bought the Harper's Ferry, but didn't know it was "loaded". Was it dry balled or was there powder under the ball?

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
Yeah, I mentioned in the other thread that they sold it cheap because it was loaded. Just a ball and patch, no powder.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
That is an odd looking projectile, but you got it out, and now you can shoot it.  (T^
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
It looks like a normal round ball that was whacked on. They must have used a five pound hammer to seat their loads. )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.