1858banner

Author Topic: Napoleon restoration done....almost.  (Read 9785 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Napoleon restoration done....almost.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
Who made it?
Hawg, I'm not certain but maybe CVA? Dixie still sells that cannon that is made by Traditions, but mine is quite old. Link is here http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1673

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
I like it mazo. (T^ I'm not even bout to start looking them up online. )L$
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
Geez! That sucker is spensive. {_K
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
Yeah! {:( 'Course this is dating me, but I remember when I thought they were expensive when they were less than half that price.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
Yeah! {:( 'Course this is dating me, but I remember when I thought they were expensive when they were less than half that price.

They're still expensive at half the price. (k-
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Odentheviking

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
That is true, these are expensive if you buy new, but if you can do a little clean up work,(rust off-wire brush or steelwool), and maybe wood work,(mine only needed a little wood glue), you CAN pick them up for less than half retail. Then there is the fun of shooting this thing at the range and with blanks at holiday and family events! So how does that compare with the last remington or musket you bought?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
That is true, these are expensive if you buy new, but if you can do a little clean up work,(rust off-wire brush or steelwool), and maybe wood work,(mine only needed a little wood glue), you CAN pick them up for less than half retail. Then there is the fun of shooting this thing at the range and with blanks at holiday and family events! So how does that compare with the last remington or musket you bought?

My backyard, sideyard, frontyard is my range {L*. My 63 Sharps is the last one I bought and it's pretty much fun.  _l That said I am building a small cannon. Not a copy of anything historic because I don't have the plans or tools or skills to do anything that good.

Offline Odentheviking

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
Oh, it is not that hard. I understand what you mean because I also have no major tools or lathes, etc... but some of the guns/tubes can be very simple. Take the Blakely, very simple tube design and all iron/steel. No need to mess with brass or bronze. The big issue i am having is finding someone that can make scale wooden wheels.
Now if you want a naval carriage those can be very simple to make, and plans can often be found with a Google search. Just gotta play with the printer or copy it up/down to get the correct size.

My backyard, sideyard, frontyard is my range {L*. My 63 Sharps is the last one I bought and it's pretty much fun.  _l That said I am building a small cannon. Not a copy of anything historic because I don't have the plans or tools or skills to do anything that good.
[/quote]

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 02:42:21 AM »
My barrel will be made from an old 45-70 trap door barrel. I got 7" aluminum wheels from DGW but they're not dished. Once they're painted they don't look a lot different from painted wood. Naval guns don't excite me.