1858banner

Author Topic: A couple of Dillon flinters  (Read 6271 times)

Offline scobrien

A couple of Dillon flinters
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »
In my post a few weeks back about obtaining the Schneider & Glassic revolver, I mentioned that I had made a flintlock rifle trade. I traded off a most awesome Bucks County flinter built by Davis Foster for one built by Rich Dillon. The Bucks Co. was probably the most pretty flinter that I have ever had. I got it off Track Of The Wolf some years ago before their prices got out of hand. I packed it a couple of times on hunts as well as used it several times at formal muzzleloader shoots. Mostly, I shot it on occasion here on the property just to shoot it. It was a work of art with precise incise carving and perfect inletting.

Well anyway, as it sometimes happens with friends, the thought of a trade surfaced a while back and then finally, it fell through. I swapped my buddy straight across for the rifle in the next four pics. Granted, the Bucks County was a nicer rifle and worth a bit more than the one that I traded for, but it all works out in the end. I have traded with him in the past, lesser valued guns for the ones that I have received. It is all good when your trading with friends.

This rifle has a 44" Gets bbl. in 50 cal that is 13/16" across the flats. This thin profile has received some concerns on other forums for being to thin walled in .50 cal. I and others call bull on that. Suspect it is just the mindset of many over conscious safety minded individuals of today's modern soft society. This rifle has a Chambers Deluxe Siler large lock. It weighs in at only 6.8 pounds. This rifle will get a lot of use on my woods running adventures and I will whack a white tail with it some time in the future. Shot it for the first time today and snapped these pics afterwards.

I recently made this pouch up just for this rifle out of some oil tanned leather I had on hand. The horn was gifted to me by an internet friend. I made the powder measure last winter out of deer antler.

10 shots off hand at 45 yards. Load was 65 gr, 3f with .015 patch lubed with deer tallow/bear oil mix. Widest spread, 3 1/4 In. Cant group them like I used to in my earlier days (?^

Here are additional pics of a rifle made by Ed Dillion, Rich's dad. I traded for this rifle 5 years ago. It has the same 13/16' profile bbl in 42" with a standard large Siler lock. This rifle has few ornaments and is limited to just two brass entry pipes, trigger guard and a flat butt plate. It is also in .50 cal. with a weight of 6 pounds. It weighs less than my .62 smoothbore fusil.
The figure in the maple outstanding. I have given this rifle to my son.

Plain Jane as far as ornaments go

The figure in the grain stays consistant all the way to the muzzle.

I am lucky to have acquired both of these rifles in trade. They are sure nice to carry given their light weight. Only complaint is the heat waves that come from the thin walled bbls. Plays hell with the sight picture in short order when shooting consecutive shots, especially in cold weather.

Flintlock long guns are my favorite, comparable only to percussion revolvers.

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
Re: A couple of Dillon flinters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
Two absolutely beautiful rifles. Don't recall ever having seen prettier grained maple than on the one you gave your son. Thanks for sharin' those with us. (T^

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
very very nice scooby! im jealous!!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »
Super rifles  8) 8) 8) _l
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

southernboy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
Very beautiful. You're a lucky man.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:13:04 AM by southernboy »

Offline scobrien

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
Thanks men. Coming from the likes of you all, it means a lot. The opinions and feed back on this forum have more meaning than all the other forums combined. I too feel that I am lucky to have them and do not take the fact lightly, so I am in agreement with your comments.

To back up a bit, just after I traded for the one that I gave my son, I was at a two day long muzzleloader shoot down in the low valley held by a bunch of swell heads. A shooter took the time to comment on the gun and said that I must be "an elite" to own such a rifle with that quality of wood. He said that he could not afford such an item. I laughed at his ignorance and pointed out the fact that he was sleeping in a fifth wheel pulled by a $40,000 diesel pickup while I was sleeping on the ground under a small piece of canvas and cooking deer meat over a fire for supper. He then snubbed about being comfortable and all, so I assured him that I was quite comfortable and content without all of the luxuries of a tin teepee. I guess it is all relative given that I have spent all of my extra funds on guns so that I can no longer afford a fifth wheel. There goes my summer vacations in Yellowstone and Glacier park (&N while admiring the paneling and pop out compartment of my portable cabin.

How many nice guns could you buy for the cost of a diesel pickup and a fifth wheel? Some of these guys have more tied up in their weekend get aways than I have tied up into my own home. I could really care less of their desires, but I am not going to go around at local muzzleloader shoots and condemn those that choose to shoot less than fancy rifles and sleep in comfort. I am just glad that they showed up for the weekend to add to the overall element of a muzzleloader shoot. We all do what we do based on wants and needs. I want a nice flintlock and am willing to sleep on the ground to have one. It is all good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:44:43 PM by scobrien »

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »
whats a 5th wheel? whats a 40 thou truck? i got a tent and a 93 cherokee in case it gets real cold or the skeeters get too bad (^h
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:09 AM »
Beautiful rifles SC.  (T^
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

brushhippie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
WOW those are PREETY!  I am jealous boy!

Offline Sawyer

• Sawyer's Motorcycle Shop and Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
Very nice rifles !

Offline Ghost

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
Nice flinters.  I like nice well balanced flintlocks. Rifleman often put as much as possible in to their firearms.  I have all so heard this your rifle is too nice, too fancy. I have never told anyone that their rifle was to plain. I doubt you have either.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »
Yes Sir Ghost, you are right, I have not told anyone their rifle was too plain. It does seem though that fancy rifles come under more scrutiny than plain ones.

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 05:21:32 AM »
Those are two fine looking rifles.  You're absolutely right about the 13/16" .50 not being a problem.  Your load will kill a deer, and you don't have to lug the weight of a thicker barrel.