1858banner

Author Topic: Colt 1861 Navy  (Read 131 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Colt 1861 Navy
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:35:23 PM »

Yeah. LOADS of Navy Colts lately! The -61 IMO a more pleasing to the eye gun than the -51. But hey, that´s just me! Might be that the -51´s are like a dime a dozen..might very well be.
None the less.

Again, a few broken internals and a tad "loose". Never a good thing with a Colt style revolver.

Yeah. That and again...cones. Frozen solid. Ain´t they always!

Indeed. From a looks point of view very much like the 1860 Army, but then again not. Like an army that shrunk when thrown into the washer.. Makes for a very neat handling gun though, and as stated one looking real good doing it too.

Could you toss cylinders between the -51 and -61? Yeah, i guess. If that was your intent.

The old original Colts often show wear to the cylinder, this one being no exception. Something handled by adressing the arbor hole in it. Anyways.
Seeing that it´s also rather common that this wear is at the cyl front face. This one though cleaned up nicely by just a slight polish on my steel flat.
End shake well within par

Now. As much as i´ve got a couple of -51´s laying around in the cabinets around here i sure wouldn´t mind a -61 too. So..time to have half an eye open i guess.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Colt 1861 Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »
Another sweetheart! Love to see these originals. Most of the stuff the average "Colt guy" own is either a repro or a Gen 2/3...which are essentially the same thing no matter how you slice it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Colt 1861 Navy
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:44:37 PM »
Albeit the old originals are part of not only US history but many a time European as well..
(Btw. Did ya know that the Preussians and Denmark were at war in 1864? Where the danes used Colts fwiw..)

As i´ve come to understand it ppl in the US treasure these guns more as true collectibles than guns. Pity if you ask me as IME most of them are NOT of "museum standard", and they handed a little TLC still works just as well as guns as when first produced.

In my opinion in many a ways that kind of tells the story and what´s more in my opinion, having owned them "all", the originals is a COMPLETELY different ballgame as you start using them.
The mere knowledge that most of them have been fired in anger and fulfilled their goal.. That IS a game changer, at least to me.

Granted. I´m spoiled as F in that i not only get to keep my own but both work on and use others too. True enough...
DVC - 2021