1858banner

Author Topic: Had to happen i guess  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Had to happen i guess
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
Right guys.
Grab a chair. This is gonna be a tad long see....

No stranger to flints but truth be told most of them have been of so-so interest to me due lack of accuracy really. I like to actually HIT what i´m aiming at!  )L$

So. This crazy idea dawned on me. As you know we´re restricted to the originals if we want to stay permit exempt...
Where could i get me a POS flintlock for cheap that noone cared about?
Cause...the mad professor is really at it this time out see...

Well. I didn´t find one. I found two. What´s in essence parts guns based on British base muskets. Ie;the here side of 1800,ring hammers and what not.

Holland came to the rescue,once again. Very nice seller Sam was very much on the money with these two basically used up ol flintlocks.

So. What´s the idea here?
Well. You read about that old Belgian made single shot that i handed a piece of 50cal liner right? Same idea,just long guns...
For SnG just to come to a rest at 300 meters prone with a flintlock,aim..fire..and HIT  (T^

Haven´t decided on 50 cal or 45 cal yet but rest assured that either one of them is where it WILL come to a rest. Got a few spare barrels standing around...and as is i´m scavenging France for a pair of Chassepot barrels too...
The latter would hand me all "the goodies" in one package. 45 cal..approx 1:20 rifling twist and so on...

The muskets though,where we´re at,sure needs some attention. Then again,they WERE dirt cheap - being old original flintlocks. Both of them ran 540 Euros inc shipping.

But yeah. Stocks cracked,locks that´s seen better days and so on and so on. Both carry British proof marks though. One been made for the East India company and the other one a "Tower" musket.
Both of them approx 75 cal. Made for patched roundball.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Had to happen i guess
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 04:19:58 PM »
Second one isn´t all that much better off.
Then again...i got what i aksed for. That simple really and i have no issues with that what so ever.
Expect to spend a little time on the lathe and mill both.

First up is to "restore" the two guns. Ie;make them into working guns again. The liner setup is for later...
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
These are OLD guns.
As in over 200yrs old. To most i guess they would be wall hangers,not to me though  {L*

Took the one lock apart today. Time to order som fresh springs,that or have them retempered. In turn not ONE screw or thread was usable anymore  (?^
Well. No fret. Imperative part here is that it´s all there. Which..it isn´t. Missing a bridle,which isn´t the end of the world..i´ll fab one no issues.
Lock on the other one´s intact though,incl said bridle.

That first lock needs some attention though to be honest but then again locks of this style is rather simple to the build so..not the end of the world.
Ambition is quite clear. I want locks that´ll cope handing me the platform to perform 300 meter surgical accuracy. That..takes a bit. M__

So yeah. A totally new genre is in the making. True sniper capacity original flintlocks!  (?^ (?^
DVC - 2021

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 10:41:11 PM »
Fun times ahead!!!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 05:14:29 AM »
Indeed.  :-*

Loads of work ahead.  {_K
DVC - 2021

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:26:23 AM »
Interesting project !

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 11:10:07 AM »
I can't wait to see how they turn out.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. You have a goal in mind and the means to approach it. There were long-range sniper rifles used in our Civil War. I don't know all the specifics but I think they were heavy barreled long rifles set up with tube sights in some cases.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. You have a goal in mind and the means to approach it. There were long-range sniper rifles used in our Civil War. I don't know all the specifics but I think they were heavy barreled long rifles set up with tube sights in some cases.

The first real sniper rifle was the Whitworth. A percussion rifle with a 33 ,36 or 39 inch barrel with polygonal rifling.  It fired a .451 hexagonal bullet. Scopes were mounted to the left side of the stock. The usual position for firing was the shooter lying on his back with the muzzle propped between his feet.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
Yeah.
I know.
Screw the BAR. It runs outta steam halfways anyways... ->i ->i

(She´s known as C832 btw...  :-X )
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 05:36:35 PM »
@ Hawg.
Ya know,it might very well be that i touch down state side after all after all these yrs. As it turns out i´ve said yes to the group to attend Creedmoor in 2024 for the jubilee.
..that much for thread jackin´...  (T^
Utmost target range,2000 yards...and counting..  &j(
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
Back on track though.

Now. I don´t know why that is but for some reason there seems to be a hell of a difference in wear between a 150+yr old gun and an approx 200yr old gun.
Yup. Worn alright,but this..kind of ludicrous.
Thus far only the one i´ve taken apart but HELLO!  {:(

"Stock a tad broken". Yeah. N then some.. M__
No. It´s not only broken it´s rotten too. Or..rottED. No matter though to be honest. All within the plan and these days the glues available makes short work of that crap.

The major longitudal cracks tho...as some Mr Handyman had been at it before me i started heating them with a heat gun,then scraped the old residue off of there.
Filled the cracks in with a sorts of wood JB...seems to have done the trick. No..cleaning wasn´t it this time out,had to sand the piece..way beyond any and all "clean".
The brass fitting and stock screws..HELL no if to use this piece so.. I had a thorough look for M6*50 screws but none around with the size head needed.
So.
Picked up some M10*70 and let the lathe do what it´s good at.

That said though just LOOK at that walnut. Might very well be that it´s from 1700 something,it´s none the less been abused beyond recognition.
Well well. I´ll turn this around. Too. No worries,will just take a tad of time.

That "sorta JB" i´ve just added. Will let that take a set then cut a "ditch" which i´ll fill with Titebond and walnut dust. But OH is there EVAR a few of them cracks..  {:(

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:00:00 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2021

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
Yeah it looks like hell now but I'd be willing to bet it will look almost as good as it did when it was new after you work your magic on it.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:44:56 AM »
Thank you so much for the vote of confidence Hawg.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
Took to plowing through the parts at the shop and came up with what i needed to make the lock WORK at least.
Will take it from there,but giving thought to replacing the trigger assy and what not.

That said i´ve sanded away,filling cracks as i go.
As the sides of the stock are in rather poor shape,even after filling in the cracks with 2 part epoxy and sanding dust,i´m giving thought to picking some walnut veneer up..
Will take a closer look at that asap. Handed the stock some 50/50 mix turpentine and linseed just to get an idea...

Sights then.
Well,it IS a flintlock rifle after all and i DO need sights that´ll hand me some sort of ability to hit with the thing after the liner has been installed.
The style of diopter in the pic was rather common back in the 18 hundreds mainland Europe. This of course means that the stock needs a bit of hardware installed,but truth be told i´ve grown kind of partial to this type instead of the "ladder sights" sold by Pedersoli and what not.
These are still to be had on german based e-gun for instance,and that without breaking the bank. Still semi expensive though,seeing what they are after all,at approx 100 Euros.

DVC - 2021