1858banner

Author Topic: Contemplating purchasing a CVA St. Louis Hawken Flintlock  (Read 1488 times)

Offline drobs

Contemplating purchasing a CVA St. Louis Hawken Flintlock
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:02 AM »
What's the word on CVA Flintlocks?
Contemplating buying the below for $289 + $15 shipping. 
I wish it were in 54 to match my percussion Lyman Great Plains but the price is right and its left handed.

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p727/CVA_St._Louis_Hawken_LH_Rifle.html
NRA Life Member

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Contemplating purchasing a CVA St. Louis Hawken Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:17:28 AM »
Word?  Cheap and inauthentic, but serviceable.  It'll most likely be a fine shooter, and not so fine as a display piece.  You may need to harden the frizzen, for better sparking.  The cap box, something the GPR doesn't come with, will certainly come in handy, as will the adjustable rear sight.  It's an affordable shooter's gun, for those who want a traditional impression but can do without an authentic reproduction.  I do like the brass.

There's nothing wrong with the fifty caliber.  Many a deer have fallen to the fifty.  You'll have to decide whether you want to inventory for the two calibers.  Mixups could be a bitch, but we learn to be mindful.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:18:11 AM »
I don't care for a .50 either altho I used one for many years and took a lot of deer with one. I have the same gun in a right hand percussion. It was loaded when I got and I fired the charge that was in it. I didn't even aim at anything. I haven't shot it since.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline drobs

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
I think I'll keep looking for a 54.
NRA Life Member