1858banner

Author Topic: Estate sale find, need advice!  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Aardvark-mi

Estate sale find, need advice!
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
Hello Cannon folks,

I found this cannon at an estate sale with everything you see in the pic. The barrel is 12" long and bore is 0.75. I got it for $175.00 (it was day 2 and everything 1/2 off :)  Also scored on a Pietta Colt Navy for $75 :)

Before I just take a wild guess dump powder in and set it off I would like to know what I'm doing 1st!!!
The big question is how much powder should I use? It came with cork for discs for wadding and cannon fuse. The fuse is 30seconds/foot (I'm going to test that 1st). What are some things I should be aware of loading and firing? The other question is could this fire a round ball?

Thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:46:12 AM by Aardvark-mi »
Some days you're the statue, some days you're the pigeon!

Offline Aardvark-mi

Re: Estate sale find, need advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
Length just under 12"

Offline Aardvark-mi

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
Here's the bore...

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Hi Aardvark-mi, that's a neat cannon! You got it for a good price IMO. I have a traditions cannon with a 0.70" bore diameter and use 14ga slugs with a hollow base. I suspect that a 12ga hollow based slug will work well in your cannon. I suggest starting with ~30gr 2f BP or sub and then move up with experience.

I look forward to seeing your shooting report.

Regards,
Richard
There�s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:01 AM »
Hi Ard,

I mentioned 15 grains on the thread "What's going on today", but that was for a .45 cannon. So I suppose 30 grains is OK for a starter with this brute. On the other hand it is sometimes prudent to start low and step up (as ssb so wisely suggested)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/product_owner_manuals/Cannon_manual_1362674471.pdf
I couldn't see the bore diameter of your cannon, but you really don't need a patch (in my opinion);  the difference in ball and bore diameter is "windage". I haven't used a patch in shooting any of my cannons. Be prepared for recoil, even in light loads. I have a 24" barrel cannon shooting about 120 grains of 1fg powder under the .90" ball and it will flip over backwards upon firing. I haven't shot that powder charge for awhile now as the fun is in the loading and shooting the cannon...... the flash, the boom!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:54:33 AM by mazo kid »

Offline Aardvark-mi

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help!

The load chart in the owners manual is great. Even though my bore is little bigger (.75) it gives me a good idea of the load range!

P.S. I was thinking of firing round ball, didn't think about a 12g slug!!! Gonna have to try that!!!

Offline vhram

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »
Thats a cool find. Ive always wanted a canon. I have a neighbor down the street with 2 full size cannons he trailers to event's. 

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Yes sir that is cool. I'd like to see that go off myself BOOM!!!  {:( )L$
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.