1858banner

Author Topic: Stamp identification?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Txodm

Stamp identification?
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
I just bought this Remington 1858 made in October 1864 at a pawnshop for $400. It has a stamp on the barrel over the date and the frame that appears to be some kind of proof mark. Looks to be a flower type pattern. Can anyone identify it?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Stamp identification?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
Probably a personal stamp. Whatever it is it took the collector value away from it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:26:28 PM »
I agree with Hawg.   It is most likely someone's personal ID stamp.  Too bad they put it over the barrel address.

Offline Txodm

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 07:08:29 AM »
Ya inplam to just get it up to being a good shooter. I know collectors value is gond but its still a civil war era firearm in operational condition which is still plenty cool for me!

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:50:55 AM »
I would have bought it at that price.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »
I would have bought it at that price.

I'd have been on it quicker than a tick on a hound dog.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 10:08:32 PM »
There is also a similar stamp on the frame on the right side. I think it is a proof mark of some sort.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline Txodm

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:10 AM »
From what I have found it's a proof mark of the republic of Mexico. Likely the gun was sent to Mexico with Confederate and union troops to aid Mexico with the second French war with napoleon. Still trying to find out if it originally came from union or Confederate stockpiles. So far t j.g e only person who reconciled the proof marks has told me they have never seen a Remington revolver or any hand gun stamped with it.

Offline Txodm

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 07:33:53 AM »
Probably a personal stamp. Whatever it is it took the collector value away from it.

Maybe not. My research has found that the stamp is from the republic of Mexico. The gun was likely part of the aid sent to Mexico from the joint efforts of the union and Confederate states in 1865 to aid Mexico in the second French Mexican war when napoleon invaded Mexico.  The identifier of the mark said he has never seen a Remington revolver with the stamp so there my yet to be historical significance to be found.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
I wonder if that stamp shows the round sign on the national flag of Mexico? In that case, the collector value will rise. Some cleaning and a better photo would be nice.

Offline Txodm

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
I wonder if that stamp shows the round sign on the national flag of Mexico? In that case, the collector value will rise. Some cleaning and a better photo would be nice.

From what I found it is supposed to look like this. The hat of liberty and rays. You can see its shape in my photos and might be clearer after I oil it and do what I can to remove rust without damaging the patina

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
Have you dechiffred the text/code on the emblem ?