1858banner

Author Topic: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
Fine progress, Racing! :9)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
Weeeeeeell...this sure could have ended up way worse.

Now listen up boys and listen sharp. We went shooting right, them two Tails along. The longer of the two, i had had issue with the lock of it being overly stiff but didn´t really think twice about it.
Being familiar as i am with the setup.

Well.
My turn. Loaded the longer Tail up with a cartridge and slammed the lid shut, i thought. Note..be aware that the last thing entering the chamber is a greased wad to sit between the plunger of the locking system and the rear of the cartridge.
Ie; when charge goes boom that greased wad smears out all over the plunger, which is now locked in place, and thus creates a gas tight seal.
It SHOULD work like that. The lock on THAT particular gun, stiff. Didn´t think twice about it and fired the thing.

Due the lock not being completely in battery part of the blast came out rearwards. Towards me. Friend Patric who was like 4 feet off said "Man! Your entire head was a ball of fire!"
The blast cracked a small piece of the stock adjacent to the lock and sent that flying.. we never recovered that. Me though, all said and done i was absolutely alright. Realizing that this might VERY well have gone a different path.

Lesson learned though and since that lock has certainly been repaired. As.. as it turns out the former repairs to the stock in that area had been done with contact cement... so help me god.
I TRULY wanna kill Mr Handyman!!!  ^y% ^y%
Of course i took all of it off, scaling half the stock off out rear, and redid the entire thing with 2 comp epoxy. These parts aren´t really that highly loaded why it will most likely suffice just fine as a repair.

As is the thing is curing but.. i suspect it´ll take a few apps of dye to reach the more or less correct hue. All good though.
That said guys..whoooooha... Take my word for this!  {_K

After the incident though i did the only reasonable thing and went right up there and kept firing away. So from that aspect we´re good..

Close call though. To close for comfort.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
Glad you are unscathed. That coulda been uuuuuuuuugly.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Yes.
Yes it could. All to aware, why i post about it. Guess my name wasn´t up. Simple as that.
DVC - 2021

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2020, 08:38:20 PM »
Even with glasses I would have made a mess in my underwear, I only have one eye and am a bit attached to it, glad you are ok
Gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Indeed happy i wore eye protection.
Thx Grumpy.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
Ah!
The carbine.

Huh. As the 25" barrel one sure threw a fit on me i pushed forward with the formerly very ill repaired carbine, and finally touched ground.
Last thing up was a tad of dye. "Dark oak" and "Mahogany" mixed made for a world of difference. Now layer upon layer of oil...

So. Time for a rematch and pulling a load ladder to see what she tells. Truth be told though, seeing the capacity/capability of these guns i´d SURE love a diopter setup of some sorts.
Seeing what this is though i´ll in such a case shoot for an old one. A new Pedersoli or the likes is OUT. But..a diopter setup on a 90cm long gun..  )L$ )L$
..then pulling a few shots with it and prove that it actually makes good USE of it.. )L$ (?^ (?^
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »

Amazing what just a few days of curing can do.
Figured out that using T7 for propellant i get away sans making the cartridges foldable. Just..in they go.

Next up, range time.
DVC - 2021

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
Beautiful!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
Thx ML.

Last couple of days i´ve been checking the seal out for my Tails, their respective that is, and truth be told they all flunk.

So i started checking into that, as it basically comes down to putting the same goals up as for a Merrill. Ie; lid/plunger down/in, hammer back and blow down the muzzle.
No can do, and as it shows the front end of the plungers are like all over the map when it comes to dimensions

So.

I turned a fresh one for the 20" carbine today. WAY larger in diameter and as much as i got it working it turns out it´s STILL to small!  :9)
Took to brazing a copper "washer" up front, that didn´t suffice either. So i guess..back to the drawing board as i simply need to have this figured out.
For all of them.
DVC - 2021

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
 Is it the copper seal or is there something wrong with the chamber where it seals?
Gumpy

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
Thx ML.

Last couple of days i´ve been checking the seal out for my Tails, their respective that is, and truth be told they all flunk.

So i started checking into that, as it basically comes down to putting the same goals up as for a Merrill. Ie; lid/plunger down/in, hammer back and blow down the muzzle.
No can do, and as it shows the front end of the plungers are like all over the map when it comes to dimensions

So.

I turned a fresh one for the 20" carbine today. WAY larger in diameter and as much as i got it working it turns out it´s STILL to small!  :9)
Took to brazing a copper "washer" up front, that didn´t suffice either. So i guess..back to the drawing board as i simply need to have this figured out.
For all of them.

I'm sure you'll get it......as talented as you are. It seems like the projects I struggled most with, are the ones that stretched me to the limit.....(except those that ended up in the garbage can).... :)
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
You are turning out to be a purveyor of fine iron, Racing!

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
Thx guys.

Nah, nothing wrong with the chamber on any of them. It´s just that the dimensions given by "some" are off according to what i´m reading on the dials.
That simple really.

Furthermore, having seen what a copper front disc that´s been fitted well in the case of Merrill guns.. and the thing is that i´ve grown to understand that the similarities between the Tail and the Merrill are.. several.

Cutting for the Tail becomes more cumbersome though as the entire thing moves into the chamber at an arc. In short it has to be on the money for all three dimensions at once.
Not doable? Of course it is.. it just takes a bit more of a plan.

Furthermore.
The Tail "fun gun" of mine that chambers 45-90 brass, well there i´ve arrived on that the stock plunger/sled setup is simply to soft why end shake for the brass will vary with use. Ie; the sled will wear/be hammered away with use.
Ergo i need to fab a fresh one on the same basic principle just out of tougher steel.

That said i guess that what i´m putting forth here could be taken as that the Tail is sort of an underachiever. Not so. It´s just dawned on me that these plungers, no matter what or which gun, do wear along the lines of 150 years.
In short stupid on me as that´s to be expected.

The fit when new? No idea but we sure regard precision a tad different these days i´d say.

I mean. The stock Tail setup calls for a greased wad to seal. That in itself tells that the original design was never intended to be "all".
But.
When then presented with the Merrill and the outcome of an anal approach to fit.. well, the Merrill works basically the same way but have no use for a grease wad due to better fit.

You do the math.
DVC - 2021