1858banner

Author Topic: Opinions wanted  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Opinions wanted
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
I've had this little narrow blade for quite some time but never could decide what to haft it with. Thanks to Mazo I have this neat silver handle that's perfect for it. The only guard I have that's small enough is brass and isn't the style I would like to put on it. Soooo, do I use it or leave it off?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
Re: Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
The most important question isn't what I'd like to see on it, it is what would you like to see on it!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
The most important question isn't what I'd like to see on it, it is what would you like to see on it!

What I want I don't have.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
I like it better with the guard.  What's the knife's purpose? Hunting? Utility? Combat? Culinary? All of the above? I always liked the std M7 bayonet. A lot of soldiers say a bayonet is obsolete. I shrug my shoulders and say if your gonna carry a sheath knife, it might as well be the one that fits on your rifle barrel, just in case. I used it all the time as a utility knife, the only time I ever used it as a bayonet was herding prisoners and mounted sheathed in riot control & training, the intimadation factor worked very well with the POWs though. We never had to unsheath em in riot control, but I guarantee you a crowd will disperse when a platoon of soldiers March's into the town square with em unsheathed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:14:15 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
I like it better with the guard.  What's the knife's purpose? Hunting? Utility? Combat? Culinary? All of the above? I always liked the std M7 bayonet.

Probably none of the above. Maybe a photo op now and then but mostly I just like redoing knives. I usually use antler but didn't have any I thought suitable for this one. I used an M-7 for a dig knife for awhile when I was metal detecting until I got an AK bayonet. Now that's about the best general purpose knife I've seen next to(don't laugh)a Bear Grylls survival knife.  )L$

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
I like it with the guard on. Looks like an 18th Century table knife used in the Revolutionary War.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
I like it better with the guard.  What's the knife's purpose? Hunting? Utility? Combat? Culinary? All of the above? I always liked the std M7 bayonet.

Probably none of the above. Maybe a photo op now and then but mostly I just like redoing knives. I usually use antler but didn't have any I thought suitable for this one. I used an M-7 for a dig knife for awhile when I was metal detecting until I got an AK bayonet. Now that's about the best general purpose knife I've seen next to(don't laugh)a Bear Grylls survival knife.  )L$

Maybe, but an AK bayonet won't fit my M16.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
With. Looks good.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »
With it is. Thanks guys. (T^

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
 (T^
Hawg,
        That is a good choice.IMHO
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »
That brass looks nice on there.

How old is that blade?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
Hawg, I'm not trying to be rude or such. I like the blade and the guard, but think the handle looks like my grandmother's cuttlery. You need a fatter handle. Just my 2 p's

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
How old is that blade?

I have no idea other than it was an old Puukko with a rotten wood handle. Just going by the look of it I'd say it was made around the 30's or 40's but no way to know for sure.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
Hawg, I'm not trying to be rude or such. I like the blade and the guard, but think the handle looks like my grandmother's cuttlery. You need a fatter handle. Just my 2 p's

A lot of Sheffield knives in the 19th century had cutlery handles. This is the look I was going for I just wish I had a better guard for it. The blade is so narrow a fat handle would look out of place on it. I may hold off on putting it together til I find something to make a guard more like what I want.

To put the size in a better perspective here it is with an M-8 bayonet and a Cold Steel Tanto.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:02:18 AM by Hawg »