1858banner

Author Topic: trigger locks for the 58  (Read 14768 times)

Offline Wink

trigger locks for the 58
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
can anyone recomend a good workable lock for our revolvers. or a good quick accsess box that they have used. i would love to keep my gun loaded but don't want the heart ache if it falls in the wrong hands thanks

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: trigger locks for the 58
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »
can anyone recomend a good workable lock for our revolvers. or a good quick accsess box that they have used. i would love to keep my gun loaded but don't want the heart ache if it falls in the wrong hands thanks
Any trigger lock will work.
And if home defense is your game, I highly suggest something other than a C&B revolver, like say, a 1911 Colt?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Wink

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
actually if the dog does his job i should have time to unlock the cabinet then the shotgun would be in hand. but it would be nice to have a little something in the draw of the night stand. that damn dog can sleep thru anything. thanks

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »
Maybe a second dog, one that is a bit more alert?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
actually if the dog does his job i should have time to unlock the cabinet then the shotgun would be in hand. but it would be nice to have a little something in the draw of the night stand. that damn dog can sleep thru anything. thanks
Please understand my angle here....if a C&B revolver is all you have for HD, then bless your heart and load for bear. But if you're not dirt-poor and can afford ANY sort of reliable cartridge gun, then why handicap yourself with an antique design that may or may not function properly in what might be the last remaining seconds of your life? Have I ever experienced a misfire/cap jam on the range? You bet your life! (pun intended)
And if it DOES work as designed.....boy oh boy, will the jury have a field day with 'Wild Bill Hickok' and his cowboy-romanticizing OK Corral shootout! (He used a FLINTLOCK, for cry-yi....!)
See where I'm coming from?

No need to reply Johnnie. I know where you stand on this issue....

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »
I have a hollowed out book at the head of my bed that I keep my Glock 45ACP in. I have a few other books around it for disguise. No locks or keypads to confuse me if I'm rudely awakened.

Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Wink

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
I know what you are saying about a more modern gun,and when the money is there it will be another revolver like a .357. I like revolvers. but for now i have this and after shooting it. IF IT GOES BANG. I believe it would do the job nicely. besides you have to admit having this thing pointing at you might make you stop long enough for me to pull the hammer back one more time to try the second chamber. for now thanks i know that any trigger lock should work.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
actually if the dog does his job i should have time to unlock the cabinet then the shotgun would be in hand.

Actually, the shotty is the best tool for the job, and probably the most jury-friendly.
I know some people who keep the shotty locked up all day, and before they retire at night, stick it 'twixt the mattress and the box spring. Don't get no quicker than that, or more dead, if needed...... M__

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »
evil handgun of progressive gun grabber fame? 

I've seen jurors pass out and fall out of chairs when shown evidence photos of 12 gauge GSW's.  Anyway, make it a good shoot and there ain't gona be no jury.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:01:32 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »
Hay man you can't get much better than a good shotgun for home defense. "jury friendly" just get those 12 people to realize it could have been YOUR!! house. We been having a lot of home invasions of the older folks being the targets. They're starting to shoot these thugs and they never see the inside of a court house.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »
Captain, why is a shotgun more "jury friendly"?
Is that cause it's not the proverbially evil handgun of progressive gun grabber fame? 
Because the shotty gives one (if 'one' is a liberal, gun-hating juror) the impression that the homeowner was merely protecting his domicile. A handgun is viewed as a weapon of aggression while a shotgun is viewed as a sporting 'tool'. You hunt ducks with a shotgun...right? M__
Even Sam Fadala agrees with this point. :9)
And yes, the 'evil handgun' factor, which we all know, was purchased because the homeowner was of dubious intention and character. Why else would he own a.....'handgun'? {:(
Sounds ridiculous, but that's the way many juries think and vote these days. (^h
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:26:17 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:20:12 PM »
Trigger locks were invented by people who think guns are icky.  In reality they almost zero sense.

We'd have to know your situation.  Kids in the house?  Mentally deficient people in the house?  Do you lock up your knives?  Do you have gasoline for the lawn mower, and matches lying around openly?

See the point?  If there are people in the house that cannot be trusted next to a loaded gun, there are also a LOT of other deadly things in the house which you may or may not have considered locking up.

Between the chainsaw, various lighters, various volatile fuels, matches, a plethora of poisonous chemicals, concrete steps and ladders, plus a big bunch of my guns, there are still far more lethal instruments at my place.  The car, the pickup and the motorcycle.

One of the things that struck me when I spent time in Alaska with a life-kong friend who'd moved there from WA State, was that many households had guns of various types lying around, such as one might find a teenager's baseball equipment, or shoes, or other items helter skelter about the house.  Guns are tools, just like your power drill and so on.  Any danger associated with them lies primarily between the ears of those who come across them. When I was a kid we always had a rifle propped up in a corner somewhere in the house.

Our mother would buy ammo and leave it with us, at a time when we ranged from about four to sixteen years of age. Such behavior was common throughout the U.S. until the Progressive rot took hold.  I distinctly recall that in the second grade, during show and tell, there were frequent stories of game sighting or coyote sightings, in which the second grader telling the story recounted grabbing HIS 30-30 or 22 rifle and taking care of business.

What in the bloody hell is becoming of us?

Lock the drawer if you live with psychos or small children.  If you live with children, teach them to safely handle a shooting iron as soon as they're big enough to hold one.n actually I taught my daughter a little bit before she was big enough to hold one.  I helped her hold it, and that was a Ruger Mk II standard 22 pistol, so that means she was pretty small.

My large frame Glock is always in its belt holster, round in the chamber, on my pants.  If I'm wearing pants, it means I am armed.  When I take my pants off to go to bed, the gun stays in the holster, which stays on the belt, which stays in the pants until such time as I change pants.  You don't get that gun out of that holster unless you By God mean to, because it takes a stout yank to get it out.  Then the gun stays holstered as I remove the holster from the belt and so on.  I don't think you can get more secure in your gun handling than that and still be within the realm of sanity.

If you want more "security", I don't think you'll find it in this life, and regardless what you do you're going to still die, so you may as well not hamstring yourself like the Progressive fools expect you to, while you're alive.  Let other people bang their heads against a wall while you enjoy a life free of fear.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:20 AM »
I agree with the Capt'n. I grew up with loaded guns all over the house. They were in every closet, pretty much in every corner. I even had four on a rack in my room from as far back as I can remember. I didn't touch them. Why? Because I was told not to and knew what would happen if I did. I keep a short barreled 97 Winchester leaning in the corner by the bed. Fully loaded with one in the pipe and hammer on half cock. No light, no laser, no nuffin. There will be no racking the slide warning, just a soft click and a boom.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
Hi, IMO all BP revolvers are a poor choice for a defensive handgun in the home. If fired at night, the muzzle flash will surely blind you for a few seconds. Most modern defensive handgun ammunition uses low flash powders to minimize muzzle flash. Unless locked up in a gun safe, keep BP handguns unloaded. I would never trust any handgun lock, the same goes for gun safeties. Leaving an unloaded BP firearm around the house with a "tell" may be useful for a future discussion with children on gun safety if the firearm is ever handled unsupervised.  :9) :9)

Regards,
Richard
There�s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »
Dear Wink,
            If you don't want the gun to go off un-expectedly, DON'T COCK THE BLOODY THING!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!