1858banner

Author Topic: Green River knife  (Read 13493 times)

Offline Pat/Rick

Re: Green River knife
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
Hey Mr Mazo, does that one have wood grips?  About light/dark enough to look like aged bone almost.

I really like them old knives! The only SS knives I use, besides the kitchen, are SAK's. The rest are carbon steel, In my estimation, they're the best that's available. I've read quite a few accounts of frontier/plains knives in Army and general use listed as plain ol' "butcher knives". There are of course numerous mentions of bowie styles, but I have often wondered if bowie was a generic description of any large blade, including butcher knives.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 06:35:06 AM »
GreenRiver Works knives were not as big a part of the Trapper culture as a lot of people think.   They didn't even show up until 1840's.  Out west here the Fur trade went on a little longer in the mountains and there were a few used out here.   I have talked to a historian/museum curator that claims there were more Wilson cutlery knives used by the fur traders than GreenRiver knives.
Most Mountainmen and trappers just took whatever kitchen knife or utility blade they could find and used it.   A lot of the so called history behind things is just folklore perpetuated by writers and dime-store novelists.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
By some mysterious ways, I find myself the proud owner of a small knife made by Classanr and with a sheath made by Mike116. The blade is marked "Survivor" and the handle contains a rod for sharpening that also is a lighter. It is all very ingenious .

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »
Very nice. That rig looks useful. The sources of course add to it too. 
What size is it Len?
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
I have talked to a historian/museum curator that claims there were more Wilson cutlery knives used by the fur traders than GreenRiver knives.

Well, it jes' sounds more proper to holler at an injun that yer gonna "give him Green River" than "give him Wilson", which sounds more like Cast Away.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Rv_7kWfBc

Hanks does fit the part of a mountain man here, tho....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
Yes Capt.  "Give him the Wilson" doesn't have very good ring to it does it.   Might have scared a few injuns off anyway though.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 04:54:00 AM »
Very nice. That rig looks useful. The sources of course add to it too. 
What size is it Len?

Blade length 4", total length 7". Sharp as a razor.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
That seems about perfect.  What a little beauty that package is.  Pass the Mike or pass the Classanr ... those scan.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Bet you don't wait 152 years before you slice something with that beauty!

You're right Classanr....  There has already been blood on the blade.  I cut my finger with it while taking the photos.

Mike,
      You must have a very sharp camera! ???
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
Should one expect to find stamped makers marks on a genuine 19th Century Green River?  Were markings on the blade omitted sometimes?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »
Should one expect to find stamped makers marks on a genuine 19th Century Green River?  Were markings on the blade omitted sometimes?

They were stamped J. Russel & Co. Green River Works with a diamond trademark. The other side was marked Deerfield Massachusetts. All were marked. If it's not marked it's not a Green River.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
Today I was cleaning up a knife and was standing at my milling machine.  I picked up the shop rag and wiped it down, then set it down with the other side up.  I saw red spots on it and the first thought was I cut myself.  Turns out it was Dychem Red on it.

Panic over.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member