1858banner

Author Topic: PF Wahlquist  (Read 128 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
PF Wahlquist
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:18 AM »

Sry to say true competition rifles of Swedish origins back from the 1850+ era are scarce. Most guns produced around here at the time were either of military origins or just simple "tool" hunting rifles. Often then converted old military guns.

This one´s an exception though, made by reknown smith PF Wahlquist in the absolute south of Sweden. Malmoe

I truly believe that this was once a no expense spared deal. Just look at that stock.

Yep. Bull barrel, if ever. Not to the extent of the early Schuetzen rifles tho. In fact, i believe the inspiration for this gun was no doubt Swiss.
Look at the lock plate..caliber in turn is 10,4mm and the rifling twist is about on par with the 1851-Milbank Swiss guns. Ie; 1 turn in 28".

This though screams more mid Europe. Liege and so on.

Diopter, seeing the time, is rather slim n sleek. Aperture of it real small, and of course the whole thing is as adjustable as they come.

The rear sight in turn... both ways i´d say.

Uhu. "Patent" breech. Of course.

Although faint still totally readable. Indeed. PF Wahlquist.

...aaaaand an adjustable set trigger is of course a must. Target gun after all.

Yep. Other side of it just as beautiful.

If time permits i´ll try the gun out. With me for an in depth service and minor repairs. To be honest this is a gun i wouldn´t mind owning myself... But hey. That´s just me!  ])M

If nothing else it´s not only a document of the capacity of Wahlquist but also a testament to what European more.."serious" guns looked like at the time.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: PF Wahlquist
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
Beautiful! You sure do stumble across an amazing plethora of beautiful and unusual firearms!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
A beauty. The walnut stock is exquisite, prolly German grown. And I always drool at the amount of time and effort they spent on details. Details that were not neccessarily functional, but included just for the hell of it.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
Can´t but agree guys.
This is one beautiful rifle no matter how you regard it.

To me n Len n a few others on here tho, it´s history. A very vivid such as we still use them. All of them  (k-
DVC - 2021