1858banner

Author Topic: Merrill carbine  (Read 885 times)

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: Merrill carbine
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 11:27:15 PM »
So how did you fit/attach the copper disk?
Gumpy

Just regular silver solder/brazing
Ah, good stuff  (T^
Gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 08:24:21 PM »
Thx lads.
The lot of you.  )%R
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »

More cleaning n..progress. This one,of course the rifling will never become "like new". Nor is it the intent,but we can sure as hell make the best of what we´ve got.

Last outing i had increased the height of the front sight somewhat but obviously not enough. So i added a tad of material to it today with the TIG and now we´re at just shallow of 11mm atop top surface of the barrel - which should suffice.

We´ll take it from there tho.

One thing´s clear here. We´ve turned this one around no doubt and have revived something from the dead. No doubt.
Some bitch about the hazzle of making paper cartridges for it,but to be honest..compared to many of the other civil war carbines a 515 boolit and 60-70 grains of black makes for something most other carbines of the time are not.
A seriously hard hitter,and that in carbine compact form n shape.

So yes. The Merrill no doubt has points...
Dunno why that is,but i like it. The Merrill that is. Furthermore,it´s always nice to have the OPTION to load as you see fit. At least in my book it is.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 04:34:19 PM »

Well this is kind of a game changer.
Curiousity indeed killed the cat. We used cartridges of 515 ringtails and 60 powder last outing right.
So..for SnG i thought to myself,wonder where the limit´s at.

Well. Correct answer is 70 grains of powder behind that 515.

That..i didn´t see coming cause that brings that with the "correct" powder we´re talking rifle performance here. Out of a short barrel carbine.

There ya go. Who knew?
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:15 PM »
Fresh pics for the day,and now even i realize she´s coming along.
Far from done,this is a work in progress,but..on the right path at least.

Now. As you´re aware i always pick the guns apart to the last screw n bolt. In doing so i took the barrel from the receiver right,and came to notice that the barrel flange indeed came up against the receiver as should however the inner part of the barrel did not.
Ie;where the threaded part of the barrel sees the receiver,and i found this a tad peculiar.

As loads have come to increase,albeit now at its absolute maximum,i recalled that there "inner gap" and set out to remedy. Took a 4 blade mill to the receiver and in turn trued the sealing flange of the barrel on the lathe. That made me end up with an approx 1mm gap.
So.
Scrambled through the material bin and came up with the softest POS steel i could find. Turned a shim to fit..and indeed. Now that flat really engages,it can truly be felt as you torq down on the receiver bolting it to the barrel..
Gas tight?
Nah,but close enough at least. We´ve got "crush" engagement at least,which will suffice just fine.

Remember that the chamber is part of the receiver on this gun. It´s not in the barrel per normal,and i believe this little stunt has truly reinforced the setup quite severly.
Ergo?
Seeing we´ve fired the piece with 515 grain bullets and 60 grains of powder i now feel absolutely confident shooting the thing with the same 515 bullets and the full McCoy 70 grains.
As to IF that will prove to be the most accurate load is a different matter. Now at least the capacity is there,which is more than can be said for most any other civil war carbine.

Idea here,seeing the short length of barrel inherent with a carbine,is the use of T7 down the road. I expect that to pay off..

Anyways. We´re closing up on the full monty here i´d say. The gun has a very very solid feel to it and behaves in every manner there is as it should.
The "bolt" of this thing what´s more is interlocking under load,within its mechanism. Ie;it is NOT the outer "snap" that sets the deal here..
Having treated the old warhorse to a brand new cone/nipple as well i sincerly hope to see gas escape go down vividly too.
Time will tell though.

As i had the thing apart again today i came to slug it once again,and now the figures match way better. What i see is an approx 13,76-13,78 maximum which will work great with them 13,88mm of the Sharps ringtail boolit.

Now.
Having said that...

Right. So that´s the rifling as per today. Getting better,and for some reason the thing STILL omits crud..beats me but it STILL does. In short it really needs a few outings more. That will polish the lands and grooves both to a WAY more "readable" state.
But be that as it may...check the AMOUNTS of lands n grooves. Cause see,this here is serial 3726 right...

...while this is friends serial 8123. Notice the vast difference in rifling? Well. I guess Mr Merrill took note somewhere down the line...

Rifling twist of this thing is another matter all together. From that respect they both seem at least decently similar and i´d wager they come in around the 1:40 - 1:50 mark or so.

Then it struck me.
Why the hell not?

That there is an old Winchester tube from the 1930´s. Anything but period correct but,i guess,to a sense era correct. Or put another way,it works.
Giving thought to how to pull a completely non intrusive install off...and believe i might be on to something.
I´d regard that as a MAJOR step forwards as the sights of the Merrill are a damn joke to be honest...
DVC - 2021

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 09:47:31 PM »
Looking good. Looking damn good.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 05:29:17 AM »
Thx brother.
Yes. She IS coming along.
No doubt.

I think it´s kind of remarkable in how sad a state a rifling can be and still be vastly improved upon. Goes to show you i guess,and the final word on this Merrill is FAR from said yet.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
Fantastic workmanship, as always, Racing!
An interesting side note; until you posted this I'd never heard of a Merrill. Since you started posting, I've been checking GB just for s&g and was shocked to see what these old pieces are going for, even ones that were rode hard and put away wet. You have truly done these old battleaxes justice in your restorations and I appreciate you sharing even the most excruciating details!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »
A sincere thank you.

Yep. There´s not exactly a crapload of them around. True enough,which i guess reflects in what´s asked for ones that need work.

That said,spent parts of the day casting boolits in amounts beyond sanity.  {:( {:(
From the looks of it i´ve got a pair of young fellow BP enthusiast heading this way next weekend..so a number of kilos of powder of course needs even more kilos of lead to go with it  (?^ (?^

Loads then in 1:20 alloy for this Merrill and my Sharps.

45cal and 54 cal both...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:52:37 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »

Merrill is sold,and the new owner wanted a scope alright but a scope base for way more modern 1" tubes.
To be honest,didn´t turn out half bad and OF COURSE it´s an install that is 100% non intrusive.
Milled a "recoil lug" for the bracket up front. Then a yoke to fit over the bolt arm further back,with a couple of grub screws in from the side.
The whole contraption held in place by the original screw for the mechanism locking piece up front.
Works. What can i say?
Ie;the recoil lug takes all the load and thus that single screw used is just to keep the parts together.

Rings are regular old steel Weavers,and so is the scope. An old dirt cheap Weaver. But..compared to the original open sights i bet this setup will make it WAY simpler to get on target and actually repeat the next shot in turn.

We tried the thing out with the 70 grain loads and..what can i say?  {:( )L$ )L$
DVC - 2021