1858banner

Author Topic: Smith carbine  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Smith carbine
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
 {_K {_K

(?^ (?^ (?^

You´ve gotsa point brother... Thing is,for the originals the Smiths..you can basically sell all you get hold of. One of the most popular original CW carbines there is.

Due its setup,normally a 45 grain charge underneat that 370 grain bullet,they´re sweethearts to use. Recoil is very very limited and easy to cope.
Sights,the original front sight,needs replacing but as it´s a brass blade that stays with an interference fit..turning and shaping a new one is like a 30min affair.
Spares,should you need them,are readily available. Plenty of them even.

So yeah. Albeit I find guns like the Merrill more to my liking there´s no arguing the Smith is easy to shoot,simple to reload and simple to maintain.
So i guess what i´m saying is that it´s no wonder they´re as popular as they are.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »

Yeah. On that...  (?^ (?^

Nah. Seriously. That basket case Smith is slowly turning around. Already as is a shootable firearm again. Polished inside out and what not.
Even fabbed the long bolt to keep the stock in place. Started filling the cutouts in on the stock. The barrel got a pass of 200degC and rust remover in liason with a bronze brush in the drill...Then yet another trip on the lathe. Fresh crown cut and what not.

Fitted a correct lower "hinge bolt". Made fit of the hammer way way better vs the tumbler..and so on and so on.. All the little things,down to turning a brass bezel for the screw that holds the forestock,which btw is a replacement one anyways.

Need to readress the stock tho. What i made fit was all good however that particular piece of walnut..harder than oak and won´t take the stain i hand it - IOW uglier than needed.
Need to adress the "lid" for the action and in turn the "ring" between the receiver and stock. Nah. We´re getting there.

Now,having adressed the innards of the barrel (rifling) i have to say that altho not on par with the one i just sold this one isn´t half bad either. Far from new and yep..sports a tad of pitting but truth be told i´ve seen barrels in way way worse shape that shot really well after all why i expect this little carbine to do likewise.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2020, 06:45:33 PM »
Time to have some fresh pics of this thing made cause..
It´s coming together in a hurry!

Nope. I won´t turn this into a "showroom gun" as i see no intent or purpose thereof but..can at least do the best with what´s there.

Happy to report that i´ve test fired the thing today. Took a bit of frustration as it turned out that the flame channel was SO gunked up it wasn´t even funny.
In the end i had to actually DRILL it clean.  {_K

That done though the thing worked like a charm.

The customers Smith bas been returned to sender,and there´s yet another one inbound. In turn..going to have a Burnside show up here too!
Lotsa CW carbines at the moment me thinks...
DVC - 2021

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
I just love the Smiths, but the flame channel is the weak point. Got to be kept meticulous clean all the way. Been wondering if a small dentist's ball mill in the Dremel could fillet the two corners in order to get a smoother channel? But then again, that would be heresy.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
LOL.
I hear ya Len.

Getting there. As you can gather just oiled up in the pics,linseed and turpentine,and the thing takes to the oil like a camel to water for some reason.

Still lacks the occasional bell n whistle but hey..getting there remember?  (?^
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 09:38:32 AM »
Racing, you got that thing looking like a million bucks! _l
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
Fantastic!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
Thx boys!  {L* LOL
 ])M ])M
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
You sure know how to take an iron from zero to hero!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2020, 05:34:00 AM »
Thank you.

Yesterday was about a little range work. These days,as i do the occasional gun or two,it is more often than not about making sure the things work as intended,and indeed..
That Whitney there in the pic was a tad of a let down tho and reason for that is that they take such small volumes of powder. Always makes me end up filling them with T7.
DVC - 2021