1858banner

Author Topic: Suppressed 50 caliber  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Suppressed 50 caliber
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
It was only a matter of time.  Now you can own a 50 state legal, suppressed fifty caliber rifle;
https://silencerco.com/maxim50/

Neat idea, needs refinement in my opinion.  For one thing, some states, including mine, don't allow glass on the rifle during ML hunting season.  Look at how high that optic has to be jacked up above the bore.  I call them "strato-sights".  Is the stock comb designed for that sight height?

Anyway, I like the idea, and I hope it continues.  It really needs iron sights though.

Hat tip to Tam
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:21:28 PM by Omnivore »
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Suppressed 50 caliber
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
WOW! $999 for one!  {:(
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
WOW! $999 for one!  {:(

in reality, thats not bad considering what buying just the gun muffler costs these days...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

2018 SASS WV Wrangler Champion
2019 SASS WV Duelist champion

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
Yeah, you buy the suppressor and it comes with the rifle attached, plus accessories.  I too was surprised at the extremely low cost.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
Have to drag the bag along to carry the "Brass Tube" (guide/muffler protector) and the ram rod.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
They say the "moderator" is a fully welded design and the manuel doesn't mention any way to dissassemble it, so I'd be concerned about it getting all loaded with black powder (or substitute) fowling. They say to clean it out just rinse with hot water. In my experience that doesn't remove the caked on stuff.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
They can keep it. Next thing you know someone will use one on a handgun and turn the hole world upside down.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »
Delbert; I don't know what you're getting at.  There are scads of handgun silencers in private use already, on modern guns, though they are an NFA item.  As popular as they are on modern firearms, and with the Hearing Protection Act being taken seriously in Congress, I see a virtually zero chance that the currently legal use of one on a muzzleloading handgun would change anything.  I'd bet it's been done before, and probably a long time ago, anyway.

Or we're you making a pun with the word "hole" rather than "whole"?  OK so that may in fact be funny.   ;D.  Sometimes I'm slow on the up-take.

Also see The Silencer Shop;
https://www.silencershop.com

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »
They can keep it. Next thing you know someone will use one on a handgun and turn the hole world upside down.

A good point. The conversion cylinder already raises concern about undue interest from gun-grabbers. A 'moderator' on a black powder pistol raises the very real prospect of such paragons of wisdom and rectitude as DiFi or that dreadful Tim Kaine suddenly becoming interested in black powder shooting in a way that we would not like. Imagine some sort of Mosin-Nagant designed muzzle-loader with a 'moderator'!  I can see the press conference already:  The Brady Bunch and Bloomberg's Mom's Against Civil Rights backing Pelosi as she blathers on about "These high powered pistols equipped with silencers that exploit a loophole to put dangerous guns in the hands of criminals".  Meanwhile, can you imagine thugs-in-the-hood debating lube vs wad?  "Yo, daawg, you crazy! What kind of mo-fo puts overball lube on a 44 with a can?"
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
On the other hand, if we're constantly trying to appease the authoritarians, they win.  They are the ones who should be worried, because we have the law on our side and they are the law breakers.  Not only do we have the second amendment, coupled with "Incorporation Doctrine", there are the federal laws, 18 USC 241 ("Conspiracy to Deprive Rights") and 18 USC 242 ("Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law") each carrying a maximum sentence of death.

All we need is one good lawyer and one good prosecuting attorney, with one good judge, and essentially overnight these shenanigans hit the slippery slope toward extinction.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

A good point. The conversion cylinder already raises concern about undue interest from gun-grabbers. A 'moderator' on a black powder pistol raises the very real prospect of such paragons of wisdom and rectitude as DiFi or that dreadful Tim Kaine suddenly becoming interested in black powder shooting in a way that we would not like. Imagine some sort of Mosin-Nagant designed muzzle-loader with a 'moderator'!  I can see the press conference already:  The Brady Bunch and Bloomberg's Mom's Against Civil Rights backing Pelosi as she blathers on about "These high powered pistols equipped with silencers that exploit a loophole to put dangerous guns in the hands of criminals".  Meanwhile, can you imagine thugs-in-the-hood debating lube vs wad?  "Yo, daawg, you crazy! What kind of mo-fo puts overball lube on a 44 with a can?"

Put it on a bp pistol and it will have to be a single shot. Cans don't work on revolvers. You can't suppress what comes out the cylinder gap.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »

Put it on a bp pistol and it will have to be a single shot. Cans don't work on revolvers. You can't suppress what comes out the cylinder gap.

Thus, the reference to "some sort of Mosin-Nagant designed muzzle loader" (which should have been written just Nagant) which would eliminate cylinder gap noise. Furthermore, your assertion, while widely held, bears further evaluation. Since we are talking about suppressors and 'moderators' rather than the mythical 'silencer', cans can and do work on revolvers and have a history, albeit limited:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/15/why-cant-revolvers-be-suppressed-or-can-they/
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
when
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »

Exactly. 

But, G Dog is correct that the 50 State Legal designation may well be subject to challenge in NJ, for example, where even black powder muzzle loading long guns and hand guns are treated as firearms. In any event, other than novelty, I do not see a significant commercial market for a 'moderated' cheap Traditions muzzle loader.