1858banner

Author Topic: No 116067  (Read 235 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
No 116067
« on: July 08, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »

Uhu. Once again an NMA in a rather nice state, and it is so through out.

With me to get a trigger job and a fresh axis pin and to have its endshake closed up.

Yeah, that and to have it boiled. To stop any and all decay.. Always a wise move with the nicer ones in my book.
Anyways.

Anchor area of the frame was worn, both ends, as was the hole in the cylinder too. As they measure approx 6,80mm stock i opted to replace the pin and ream the pieces out to 7mm flat.
Thus i cut the "head" off the pin and braze that back on the fresh one. Indeed this stunt made the thing basically "new" from that aspect.
The wear that caused a TAD large end shake turned out to be that the rear of the cylinder is worn. So going to TIG weld that up and reshape to set endshake to 5-7/100mm. (Approx 2/1000")

Again a gun with numbers added to the serial. Not uncommon for guns that were sold to France in the late 1860´s, just ahead of the French/Preussian war of 1870/-71.

Uhu, and the numbers are repeated with a pencil on the stock innards as well.

Yep. That´s what they look like when fresh. Rather rare for an old original. Will be replaced by a repro one slightly higher though to be of any use for standard 25 meter work.
The new one to be fitted to the gun, always.

It indexed a bit funny, and no wonder. Uhu.. new one is in the mail. When checking with a bore scope though it turns out it doesn´t index quite properly so will need to adress the bolt lockup too.

Yeah. That aside, don´t i always, i got the old cones/nipples out with a tad of torch.. and cleaned the threads out, as always too.

Nah.
Idea here is NOT for a competition gun but more so a well behaved and tight original for the owner to use and keep for yrs to come.
We´ll get there. Rest assured.  &j(
DVC - 2021

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: No 116067
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 11:27:47 PM »
Another nice one. I'd have to leave the original sight and just learn where it shoots. That's one thing I despise about repros is the ridiculously tall sight.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
This is yours, or a customer's?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
Another nice one. I'd have to leave the original sight and just learn where it shoots. That's one thing I despise about repros is the ridiculously tall sight.
I agree, on principle. But, we who live under the most stupenous gun laws and still want to keep our skills up, sometimes have to infringe the oldies. I have made a taller front sight on mine, but keep the original in the gun safe, What's good with the original Remis, is that the front sight is threaded, so switching is easy.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
This is yours, or a customer's?

Customers.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 10:21:17 PM »
You sure get to handle some unique and unusual stuff!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 03:05:32 AM »
Wow, very nice condition. Looks fabulous and will no doubt shoot the same when you've finished it (T^

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »

So. A few needed spares showed up. That there unfinished front sight we get as "raw material" where basically the raw shape and the threads are what´s done.
Rest is a matter of fitting..

Anyways. A trigger/bolt return spring showed up as well and with that installed it turned out the bolt didn´t fit as well as it should. So handled that.
Then, that done, it turned out that the fresh hand is overly long making the cylinder overshoot it´s bolt stop.

Yeah well. We´re getting there at least.
DVC - 2021