1858banner

Author Topic: Maynard carbine  (Read 525 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Maynard carbine
« on: June 10, 2021, 05:14:15 AM »
So, i sold the Starr.
Have to say, them Starr carbines are real neat little guns once you figure them out.

That brought i had a bunch of cash laying around and then.. this auction for an old Maynard.

The Maynard is a "pure" cartridge gun. The shells is uses though are.. different, to say the least. Got a friend that´s got one too so i asked Niklas for dimensions of the hull and he reported back...
Thing is, where we´re at Maynard casings are nowhere to be found over here just about, so i took to the internet and lo n behold...

As it turns out shells for the 50 Beowulf looks like they could be made to fit with a mimimum of effort. That is.. IF this is a 50cal one, which it most likely is.

In turn, know all to well so don´t go there but... giving thought to if i could fab some sort of non intrusive bracketry to fit a fore stock of sorts.
My idea being that shooting blackpowder, as we all know, makes the barrel run rather hot why a piece of wood up fron there would sure make for more comfort.
Well.
We´ll see as this thing touches down with me.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Maynard carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »

Well guys, good things comes to him who waits. Yep. It showed up.
Ripped the thing apart first thing basically just to come to conclude it was in good working order. Neat!  {L*

On a general whole the thing is remarkably intact and complete. The rear sight leafs still keep their "300" and "500" markings. I assume that to be yards and let me tell ya.. after having shot this thing today i have NO disbelief it´ll handle that.

The trigger, the lockwork, reminds a tad of the fabled Wesson rifles of North-East US. Maine and what not. Inline alright, and that turned out to be a tad different as the hammer kind of visually intersect the sight picture. Or more to the point, the sight picture thus takes a little getting used to.
The sights in themselves tho are of the better variety i´ve encountered on ANY civil war carbine. By that measure.. wouldn´t exactly call them modern up to snuff, but a LEAP forwards vs for instance the ones on the Starr carbine.

Trigger.. Yeah. As per many other carbine of the war this thing needs a trigger job, and will get it. This is no longer an instrument of war and thus there´s no need for a trigger that reminds of running into a brick wall.

The stock was REAL dirty (as were the innards of the barrel too) so i cleaned that out in a jiffy and followed up with coat upon coat of linseed. For some reason this here side of the stock, from about mid rearwards, turns way darker than the rest of it.
Nature of the beast i guess?

Actual lever is a bit peculiar though. To small to work the thing in any other manner than pulling it between your thumb and index... Works however. No argument there.

Uhu. Had the thing delivered with what was supposed to be an inept cartridge. Not so. Some idiot had tried to pull the boolit out of there with a pair of pliers why the boolit was completely knackered so.. i drilled the thing out of there and as i did, sure enough... i poured blackpowder out of the casing. Keep that in mind and read on...

So. I needed to expand the case mouth every so slightly to make it take to a fresh boolit. Last sitting casting 1:20 alloys for the Chassepot i cast a bunch of 100 or so for a Smith carbine, as we´ve cut a mold for that previously. Well. The Smith and the Maynard is said to take the same boolit so.. all good.
Now.
I turned an "expander" on the lathe and as i set to use that the shell separated.  {:( Turns out the old stock shells are out of two parts. The actual case and then that MASSIVE rear rim, and these are simply soldered together.
Well well.. fired the torch up, cleaned the two pieces out and went at it.

As you can judge by the pics in general the various screw heads and what not still looks rather intact. Telling that "Mr Handyman" has never been around this gun, which is ALWAYS a good thing.
That said none of the fasteners were on there all that tight. Cool enough too... Took the thing completely apart, examining the various parts, handing it grease n oil where needed and so on right.. we were in essence good to go.

Uhu. THE shell, only got one thus far. Checked.. and a stock thin wall Maynard shell will take an easy 55 grains of 3F. I have no doubts it´ll handle 60 grains being filled via a drop tube and handed a tad of compression.
Note.
As much that that rear rim index the thing the chamber of it couldn´t care less as it sports a very pronounced shoulder within too, to register on the mouth of said shell need be just as well.

An original cartridge? Recall that above that it was a live one? Well, i poured that holy black upon the bench and used a mini torch to set fire to it. Sure enough... "WOOF".
Seing how "corroded" that boolit was and due that how basically anchored it was to the shell.. good thing i didn´t try to fire it as was - possibly creating pressures that would make the thing go boom for real.

So. Brought it with me, that sole shell to boot, for the range today. Incl a powder scale and a powder keg. Filling her up with 55 grains over and over..

Summary is that a Maynard is a real sweet little gun. It shoots well, it handles well and although it might not be as "cool" looking as the Starr or Sharps it´s just as much of a gun, or carbine, at least. Like it! A LOT!  :-*
Today was all about 100 meters and seeing how short i was for time i was very happy with the results and outcome.

The Maynard is said to be a very accurate gun at that and thus far i see no reason what so ever to doubt that.

I´ll be sure to report back as this thing progress. ATM i´m still filling that piece of walnut up with linseed, and will most likely keep doing that for a while.

Shells then? Brass.
Yeah well. Having now checked an original cartridge with my calipers let it be completely clear that fabbing Maynard brass from 50 Beowulf ones is perfectly doable as well as WAY more affordable. The cost of "thick wall" repro Maynard casings is about SIX TO SEVEN TIMES the cost of Beo brass.
It´s a no brainer in short.

Yeeep....
DVC - 2021

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:42:37 PM »
I’m planning on building a Maynard, have solidworks drawings and a collection of steel ready to feed into the mill and lathe. Time has been the killer for me, nice to see a real one
Gumpy

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
Nice report, Racing.
How does that cartridge flange seal the breech? Much gas leak? Will the smaller dia Beowulf flange seal enough?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Got this one flagged for further viewing! Always love the diversity and breadth of your projects!
(feel free to share over at Colt Country, too!)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
Thx guys!

@ Grumpy.
Let me know if there´s anything you need. Seen a few "home made ones" by TALENTED ppl and...daayyum. *tips hat*

@Len.
Nah. The touch hole is so small that this works like a modern brass cartridge from that respect. Ie; it expands and thus seals. Rearwards there´s the stop of course but again.. touch hole dia (less than 1mm) coupled with brass.. Nah. Leakage is about nil really.

Now. Mind you.. I´m using our home brew Smith mold for this gun and the little i´ve shot it thus far i should really keep my yapper shut. One thing´s for certain though, it works and works very well.
The little i´ve tried it further seems to be a rather accurate piece, as advertised.

@ Cptn.
Hey thx! See you starting to move around a bit over at Castboolits too, good for you  :-*

Well. Look.
Lack of forearm and as i start to google i realize there was Maynards so made. Civilian ones, and mainly rifles. Ie; longer barrels.
But.
I recall all to well when i set out on this journey with black powder for the second time, and the guns worked so so in hindsight. Much was learned, and is, and these days they normally run locomotive style when done.
Now.
Seeing that and knowing that blackpowder makes barrels HOT some sort of fore grip is on the agenda. So i cut a piece of old walnut out of a scrapped stock for an M1 garand and went at it.

Yes. That "moose lip" is supposed to be there. The originals look like that, and i´ve just freewheeled this from various pictures. Keep in mind that there´s a reason to the madness here.
Lip tho, not as pronounced. In fact, the entire add on not so pronounced.

So, i´ve kept at it.. and still need to. Needs further shaping and sanding, as you can gather. Lip still needs to be less pronounced but the thing also needs to be slimmed in general.

No matter, it hands an idea at least and.. we´ll get there. Got no doubts what so ever on that one actually.

The actual threaded "weld bung" (i used a 10-32 screw) has just been brazed in. Ie; simple as pie to remove should the wish ever arise. Just heat, plup the bung off of there.. heat more and use compressed air. Going to turn a brass escutcheon for that screw too.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »
@ Cptn.
Hey thx! See you starting to move around a bit over at Castboolits too, good for you  :-*

Like the Beach Boys sang, "I get around...."

That forearm looks like it came from the factory that way! As usual, some amazing craftsmanship!

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:54:12 PM »
Thank you, but that´d be a GROSS exaggeration IMO.

-" It´s all in the details..."-
I´ll drink to that! It kind of amaze me how something as small as that escutcheon can make the kind of difference it does.? I mean, it´s just a turned small piece of brass. That´s all.
Makes the thing go from home brew to done, as a job that is. Then again, STILL a work in progress. Nope.. not done  ;)

The 50 Beowulf casings showed up. Cut their rims off on the lathe and checked fit in general. This´ll work just fine.. I´m going to braze the stock primer pocket shut tho and redrill with a 0.8mm drillbit, that´ll suffice just fine and make sure that any and all excessive backpressure is kept at bay.
That done, anneal and widen the mouths of them ever so slightly, to accept the 390 grain Smith type boolits i´m to use. In fact, entire case needs to be annealed to be able to fire form vs the chamber.
All good.
DVC - 2021

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 07:31:02 PM »

Yeah look, so this is going to work just great. What i did was braze the primer pocket and then anneal the entire thing....

That´s quite a step tho. Opening is like 12,1mm and i moved that to 13,25 to take the Smith slugs. Annealing is in other words an absolute must.

Turned a cone shaped tool to bevel the mouths to need be. Now.. that might make ppl ask themselves, how does he get the flared casing off of there?`
No sweat, the tool has a 10mm hole in the center and i turned a 9,5mm punch. Making them come loose is a breeze...

Boolits fit alright, just don´t wanna shove one down there sans powder..  {L*

...n let me tell ya, a 0,8mm drill bit isn´t the largest in the heap...  )L$ )L$

Net result though is thin wall casings of ample capacity that can be rused ´til hell freezes over so.. will chalk this one up as a win.
DVC - 2021

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »
Nice progress! What made you think of the Beowulf casing as a candidate?
I sure like the end result!

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 11:10:33 PM »
I agree....that's a well thought out process!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
Thx guys.
These days most caliber dimensions are to be found online and as i realized the cost for the "ready made" Maynard brass... HELL NO!
So after spending a little time with google.. yeah well.  =K*

That said, first outing...which of course meant fireforming. In short, this worked a million bux. That simple. Just look at the fired brass. It´s to the point where gas leakage is about nil.
In short, this works as planned and intended and seeing that i can´t but recommend anyone out there to take this route if you ain´t all thumbs.
Yes.
It will take access to a lathe. That said i bet that most at least KNOW of a mech workshop... Brazing in turn is simple.

Now. That said i need to adress extraction. The Maynard is so "early" as a cartridge gun that albeit they´re straightwall they lack conicity why although they retract dimension wise extracting them needs assistance.
The original rim is of 3/4" or 19mm and it might very well be.. so going to scavenge a piece of brass axle to handle that and braze them rims onto the brass.
Then make me a sorts of manual, hand held, extractor setup.

That said the gun runs like a damn locomotive, there´s simply no stopping it so GUESS how pleased i am that it sports a fore end!

Nah. This is in short a win, and a very clear cut such.
DVC - 2021

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
Great job!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 08:37:00 PM »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
Awsum work as usual.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.