1858banner

Author Topic: Gun oil  (Read 14115 times)

Offline dromia

Re: Gun oil
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 03:18:09 AM »
I use Youngs 303 and/or Rangoon oil.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 10:13:12 AM »
I use Canola oil!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
I have been told that the bag full of oil your new Pietta comes in is olive oil, Couldn't prove it by me, though.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Branko

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »
I've even tried vegetable oil (the basic, 0.5$ per liter). Well, problem is it turns into varnish after a couple of months of shooting and then you have to scrub the internals with a bronze brush when it does. Otherwise it works, well, like oil. It gets things oily, turning BP residue into mucky goo which is easily picked up by a clean patch. It's also somewhat of a lubricant and a weak rust preventive like, well, basically any oil. Any non-drying food oil would probably work just fine (eg. olive oil, jojoba, coconut, palm oil, etc).

Ballistol doesn't have the tendency to turn into varnish and works well. I also use it on my holsters and belt. It's also a multi-use product; ballistol and BP residue form this lovely sulphuric - cat piss fragrance when put together, which clings to your hands even after washing and reminds you what a nice day you had at the range!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:17 PM »
I use Remoil or whatever is handy on the internals where it doesn't matter and a thin coat of Bore Butter in the bore and chambers. For a wipe down I actually prefer 3N1 oil but will use whatever is handy including motor oil or trans mission fluid.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.