1858banner

Author Topic: Nice Uberti  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Etek

Nice Uberti
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
Got a very nice Uberti .44 Carbine as a companion to my Pieta and had it out for some fun. I admit I would like to have a carbine and pistol of the same manufacture but these days ya get what ya get.

Now my powder measure must be wide off because the 40 Gr. setting still leaves lots of room in front of the ball after everything is seated even using a wad. When not using a wad lube is MC1210 from Mill.com (A VERY heavy gun grease used on 25mm gun trunnions exposed to salt dunking!) or Lubriplate out of a small squeeze tube. I hate trying to jam heavy grease down 3/8 inch over a ball.

I noted the pistol pukes off #11 caps under gravity or recoil. The Carbine happily does not do this so no more squeezing caps. I like loading the carbine as one can load powder in all 6 then load balls. Conicals in 190 and 195 gr. will come later as DD is fixing me up. Longer barrel with a good easy to load conical should wake the carbine up.
BTW I am using cheapie cast balls that came with the 'Starter Kit' as well as Hornady .454 swaged balls. I like the swaged because they are a hair bigger and cut a ring. Either way, accuracy didn't seem to matter much. Powder is Pyrodex or FFFG Goex.

Now I live on a pretty fast moving narrow river here in the Palmetto State so once I had this puppy dialed in (Rear sight is adjustable for elevation!) I started smacking junk barreling down the river. The close in stuff under 25 yards was so easy it got boring so I started shooting just under it to make it jump into the air. Old past time of mine on the Patuxent River in Maryland before they banned guns. My buddy with a shotgun would yell PULL and I'd shoot under the debris and he'd pop it in the air. Great fun!

Anyhows, the carbine shoots dead-on-balls once you get the sight set for range. Of course the cylinder drags after 'bout 3 cylinders full on Goex or Pyrodex but pin lube was very light (50% Marvel Oil, 50% 76-105 mm Mil Spec CLP) I should use Lubriplate or ? on the pin. Help me out here Boys and Girls.

As soon as I can I'll work up some EASY Snake-Rat loads for pistol and carbine. LOTS of mean snakes will be waking up here in 'bout a month or two and one must be prepared. Coyotes too. And Alligators.

Anyhow, the Carbine is lots of fun and of the usual quality one expects from an Uberti. A better deal would have been to use the pistol grip with the removable stock which would make a perfect snake gun. I do not find the carbine stock to be anything but a poor attempt at 1800's realism. But it does work.

For $579.00 it wasn't cheap. But they come and go so much that it's worth it and the workmanship is quite good and the wood is perfect.

Go get one. You'll be happy.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Nice Uberti
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
Great to hear you like it.  (T^
There are a few people on here that have the 1858 Remmy Carbine and like them too.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
I bought mine new  for just over $400  just before thy took a big price jump.
I would recommend a medium stiff  beeswax & lard lube mixture on the pin, so the fouling
can't get in so easily
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Dear Friends,
            My .44 Remington Replica 1866 Remington Carbine is for sale!  I have decided I really need a single shot in at Least .50 Cal, as the .44 Ball does not really have the Kinetic Energy for a creature like a deer, or (Hopefully.) an Elk.  Mine is a little unusual, as I have done some work on the trigger. It is about three Lbs, but breaks like snapping an Ibicle in two! Very crisp, and NO TRIGGER OVER-TRAVEL!!!!  The Gentleman I bought it from, had a Pietta Revolver, and I believe some spare cylinders for same, and so he had the frame Professionaly opened to accomodate Pietta's Cylinders, which are fractionally longer than Uberti!  The gun shoots well, is accurate, but after condideration, and having regard to the enormouose vitality of wild animals, I really think that a large deer needs a bigger caliber to increase the average of a clean kill!
            New, they are priced at $599.99! (Why they cant just say $600.oo and have done with it I shall never understand!)
I am asking $475.oo for mine.  The blueing is immaculate, and the stock likewise!  So, if like me your revolvers are ietta's, with this carbine you'll be, "In Like Flynn!"

Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
Hi Johnnie, list up your 1858 Remmy Carbine on the "For Sale" thread. Maybe someone will trade you a .50cal or bigger rifle.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
Etek, do I understand correctly that you use Lubriplate 630 AA over the balls?  Never used it for that.  Many here (and I) use it on cylinder pins / arbors.  Do you use it for that too?

Big ups on your new carbine. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »
I use and recommend 630AA on the cylinder pin. With the use of wads, I don't use anything overball.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Etek

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
G Dog I used Lubriplate because it was in a squeeze tube and it was easy to apply over the balls and on the pin. It seems to work OK but time will tell. I used it because I had it and the CLP/Marvel oil mix was too light.
On the big cannons we didn't use Lubriplate because there were Mil-Spec lubricants for each item and we were not allowed to deviate. On small arms there was a different lube for each temperature range, usually Teflon 25 cut with varying amounts of alcohol.
One bottle of CLP with Teflon was used to clean the barrels on the big cannon. Yes ONE bottle!
Here is the cannon--------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCd_X7lh_AQ

Offline Etek

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Tested the Uberti Carbine today with swaged balls and USMC's 190 and 195 grain conical bullets.
At 75 yards using 25 Gr. of Goex using wads, no wads, HEAVY Lithium grease over bullet, or Lubriplate over bullet there was no real difference in accuracy. Every projectile struck within a 5 inch circle. Caps were CCI 'Magnum' of unknown vintage. Conicals were lubed with Lubriplate.
No misfires or any other hangups were noted. Cleanup was easy. Cylinder pin was lubed with Lubriplate and rotation stayed free for the 24 rounds fired.

Now the conicals certainly made recoil more pronounced. It's only another 45 or so grains compared to round balls but the shoulder notices! The 'Half Moon' shoulder stock aint helping!

I am going to try some VERY heavy loads using conicals soon with this handy little Carbine.
Stay tuned.