1858banner

Author Topic: Uberti 1858 Carbine on the way.  (Read 10294 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Uberti 1858 Carbine on the way.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
why not just send the whole thing to him loaded   not capped.

Or get your best friend enemy to stand where the target is, and see if he can out run the projectile.
If he can either he is very fast, or the projectile isn't fast enough.

Now if he can't then it just don't matter........... )%R
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline remington1858

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
])M Remington have you tryed out your 58' carbine yet?  (k-

I sure did.   I used a conversion cylinder in 45 LC with very good results.  I can't wait to try it with Goex and round ball.  Taylors would be a place to start looking for extra cylinders...if not contact Uberti  to find out.

Wes

])M Glad to here the carbine is working out for you. Are you using an R&D or Kirst conversion?  (^h

I use a 5 shot Howell cylinder which is like an R&D but not 6 shots.  I had to send the cylinder back to Howell for some adjustments on the back plate.  Apparently Uberti changed dimensions or parts slightly, but Howell fixed it with no charge.

Wes

Offline remington1858

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I too have recently acquired a Mod.1866 Revolving Carbine!  My problem was that I have Pietta Revolvers, and the carbine is made by Uberti!  Noe of my 13 cylinders would have fit the gun, for the Uberti 1858 .44  Cylinder is fractionally shorter than the Pietta.  I happened to mention this online in the Forum, and a gentleman offered his for sale to me, with the information that it had been altered so as it WOULD fire the Pietta Cylinders! A couple of week-ends ago I took it out to my Favorite Spot in the Desert, and it went really well!  It was an un fortnate day to have chosen, for the wind was blowing a half gale, and this was making the target frame vibrate and tilt every now and theeen, and was making the shooter sway and tilt also.  I did find that there were some minor problems.  The dovetailed catch that holds the loading lever in place, fell off!  Luckily I thought hadr, and remembered where I was standing when I locked it back in place last, and I found it in the, "Sands of the Desert!"   Lucky me!
            Then since this had come loose, I also checked the front sight, and found it was loose enough to move with the fingers also! Next time I go to Home Depot, I am going to splurge on a good quality Center Punch!  I'm sure that will cure all the ills! I believe it was the wind that was causing some of the flazh from the Forcing cone  Area to seem to be burning my left cheek slightly.  I DID have the foresight to bring with me some Industrial Safety Glasses, but the cheek burning as a little disturbing, so I gat my handkerchief, and tied it across my face, a la a Hollywierd 1950's Western Stagecoach Robber! and this certainly solved that problem.  I had no way of determining the velocity.  However I DID notice that the balls, after passing through the target, kicked up sand and dirt a LONG way past, where balls from the pistol's  normally kick it up!  There was less of a pause between the gun going off, and being aware of the sand getting kicked up as well!  Looking up Richards test velocities, it would seem that my PDL was getting (Approx.) 945 fpe with a 5.5" barrel, slightly over a thousand fps from the 8" barrel, and this carbine of mine has an 18" barrel!  Now it is possible that the High VelocitySweet Spot may occur at say, 15".  So my balls from the carbine may be slowing down for the last three inches" Quien Sabe?  However I'd be very interested to see what a load of Ten grains of Goex, plus a Pyrodex 30 Grain  Pellet, and a .457 Round ball would do out of an 1866 Remington Revolving Carbine!  I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be around about 1300 fps. but it would have to be tested  on a                                                  chronographe to know for sure!  There was definitely more af a Crack to the sound, whereas the pistols still BOOM!  Oh Hell, we could go all day guessing!  I'll gladly mail a few .457 Balls, and a handfull of Pyrodex Pellets, to anyone who has a  Chrony,
and a Carbine to try it out!  Wrap all those goodies in some bubblewrap, and put a false return address, and I bet it would go through without any problems!!!!!   
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.                                                       

Johnnie, Have a gunsmith check your cylinder alignment.  I will help with the blowback.  Could also be the forcing cone.  Can you post some pictures of the problems?

Wes

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
There was definitely more af a Crack to the sound, whereas the pistols still BOOM!

That's the typical distinction between a sub sonic load and a super sonic one.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Johnny mentions a modification so that the carbine's can use Pietta Bros. cylinder's. Does anybody know the process?  I would be interested in hearing about it, ya just never know when a body may have need of such tribal knowledge.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.