1858banner

Author Topic: Hammer not striking hard enough?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline cap and baller

Hammer not striking hard enough?
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:54:31 PM »
Ive shot my Uberti 1858 Carbine a good amount and have noticed on a few too many occasions that a 2nd hammer strike is needed to detonate a cap.  I am using Remington #11's and have them on the nipples quite snug.  I feel like the strike of the hammer should be stronger and am not sure if there is a way to go about increasing it.  What are your thoughts on this matter?

Offline sltm1

Re: Hammer not striking hard enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:45 PM »
Lot's of ways to fix this problem:
1. Press the caps down with a dowel for full contact seating
2. Check to see if one or more of the nipples sit's deeper than the other's and shim if necessary
3. If your revolver has a strain screw, screw it down some
4. Replace the main spring (I seriously doubt that's the problem cause the gun fires most of the time)
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline cap and baller

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
Lot's of ways to fix this problem:
1. Press the caps down with a dowel for full contact seating
2. Check to see if one or more of the nipples sit's deeper than the other's and shim if necessary
3. If your revolver has a strain screw, screw it down some
4. Replace the main spring (I seriously doubt that's the problem cause the gun fires most of the time)

Thanks for your response!  I think truth be told it sits somewhere between 3 and 4.  The mainspring for the carbine is designed differently from the pistols and doesnt have a screw in the grip to tighten it on.  It seems to be a lock nut that keeps it in place and I've tightened it quite a deal.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
alternatively  try a different brand of caps. along with the above
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline cap and baller

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
alternatively  try a different brand of caps. along with the above

I do have size 10 caps from Remington and my shop offers CCI so I can give this a test too!  Thanks

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
90% of the time when a cap takes two strikes to set it off it's not completely seated.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »
Just try other caps. I'm sure everyone has had cap problems. }),
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
90% of the time when a cap takes two strikes to set it off it's not completely seated.
and a lot of those times, is because that particular cap size / brand doesn't fit that nipple all that well to begin with.
I swear nipple makers and cap makers are at odds with each other.
Sometimes a #10 cap is a perfect fit with last years pietta, but not so this years.  same with Uberti.
sometimes the best option is to replace the nipples with ones advertised to fit a specific size.
But then you run into the problem of different brands are not the same size for size.
I do wish Treso offered theirs in blued not just the gold colored.
I can see why they do it this way, marketing gimmick. they stand out from the crowd. More chance another shooter will ask you about them. Maybe he likes the two tone on the cylinder, and will then order some for his.
But before you replace yours, try different brands and sizes.
I have yet had to use a dowel or such to make sure mine are seated. I just tried different ones, the ones that worked I stayed with.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
I do wish Treso offered theirs in blued not just the gold colored.
I can see why they do it this way, marketing gimmick.

No, the color is from the material they're made from. "TRESO nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels".
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
As quite as it is kept, it's kind of a open secret that there are various lengths of replacement nipples made for your revolver (e.g., TOTW has several nipples of different materials and different lengths - stainless, steel, beryllium, etc...,) just make sure if you decide to go this way and set your gun up for them, you recall exactly what length you have (leads to less confusion in the future if you have to replace them)!

Wouldn't recommend filing on some of them (beryllium or Aamco is really nasty stuff - you can look back into some of the earlier posts regarding that subject on this forum or contact some of the members of this forum, e.g. this page,), but the stainless or carbon steel nipples could be "massaged" with a emery board if too long very easily! Come to think on it, put a link over here to a few other places and webs pages that kinda deal with this issue (you might find this page or this one to be somewhat informative on nipples - no, not the ones on the bosums of that gal you like but rather the ones on that percussion revolver yer a' lustin' after)!

It'd be a lot easier (as well as cheaper -) to replace the hammer main spring though, to see if that clears up the issue first.

'Course, that's just imho, and evryone here already knows that I'm a opininated a$$-hole (just ask, everyone will tell ya)!    )L$
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:50:05 PM by old fogey »