1858banner

Author Topic: Original Remington 1858 Carbine pictures  (Read 5061 times)

Offline frappu

Original Remington 1858 Carbine pictures
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:53:09 AM »
Hi all,
as I say in the presentation post, I'm a 3d artist and now I'm working on a 3d model of the rifle in the subject, this model will be used in a multi-platform simulator called "Gun disassembly 2" that allows user to see how gun works, you can disassemble, reassemble and watch how weapons act in x-ray.
I need pictures of the carbine disassembled, expecially a front view of the receiver and a picture of the trigger guard,can anyone help me?
Thanks

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Original Remington 1858 Carbine pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »
A 3d x-ray animated view of the moving parts and their interaction would be so cool.  A vid of that would be great and if any members know of such a thing please post a link. What a fine project you are on to frappu.  Looking forward to the results on that, keep us posted up.  Please & thank you.

Not sure what sort of pictures would be helpful but here are the dismounted parts. 

Caveat:  This photo was wantonly lifted from another member.  Thank you esteemed member for the uncredited use of your photo.  [Omni, is that your carbine and photo?]

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:40:53 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
G Dog; That's not my photo.  If it's my carbine then it had to be taken by DD4 before he sold it to me.  One looks very much like another, though mine has that plum-colored frame that you see from time to time, presumeably on cast frames that have aged a bit after being blued, and I don't see that effect in the photo.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline frappu

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 05:31:29 AM »
Hi and thanks all for your replies.
I have spent several days searching on the web about references of that rifle, I have collected plus than 860mb of material, but is not enough :D
For now my biggest problem is how is done the original trigger guard, in the uberti replica is composed by two pieces, but in my references the original one was one piece only and i don't understand how the rear part is done. {_K

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
I hadn't noticed that before.  Actually your photos show the difference quite clearly.

The Uberti trigger guard works just like the pistol TG; it hooks into the frame behind the trigger and has one screw under the front of the cylinder to retain it.  It differed from the pistol TG in that it also reaches several inches to the rear and is then retained by a single screw into the wood at its finial behind the grip rail.

The original TG, which I only now see in your photos and in my own, does not hook into the frame behind the trigger.  That is because they've cut the frame in a straight line all the way back, and so they've added a screw at the back of the frame to retain the TG at that location.  So it looks to me that there is no lower frame tang, but that instead the TG serves that role.

That is a pretty huge difference from the Uberti, which is more of a modified pistol compared to the original Remington carbine.

Here's another photo I came across last year someplace.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Here are a couple more shots of the Uberti.  Again, this frame has a full lower tang integral to the frame.  The TG is one piece, installing exactly like the pistol TG except that is has the grip rail and a rear screw into the wood at the finial behind the end of the lower frame tang.

That's totally different from the originals in which the TG sits on a flat surface all the way to and beyond the back of the frame, thus comprising the lower stock tang as a structural member.

Unerti's design is probably a little stronger, but it's a major departure from the Remington design.

That's what I'm now seeing, anyway.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »
Hi G-Dog, I think that's mine, an 1858 carbine bought from Johnnie. You are free to lift any photo I have ever posted. Permission is given to others to use anything I posted in any way they choose.

Regards,
Richard
There�s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum, frappu!

Think you might be happy with these pictures (auction site with several closeups of verified antiquey rifle)!
                                                    Cherry's is a pretty good place for high-def pictures of old guns (like this and this picture of a .44 cal. revolving rifle they have up for auction right now. Look around some of those old auction sites and undoubtedly you'll run across a whole lotta the pictures you're seeking (somewhere on this forum I recall tossing up a list of a bunch of those old auction sites)!

Offline frappu

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
Thank you all for your help, I appreciate a lot.
I did not know the last two sites, I just saved them to my bookmarks. ;)
This is the video trailer of a rifle that I made in 3d for the simulator
https://youtu.be/ia2OpvKNo7c

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
Awesome video, Man!

Do you do 3D CAD work as well, such as in Solid Works?

Offline frappu

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:18:34 AM »
Hi and thanks, unfortunately no I don't (for now), but solidworks intrigues me, I tried it a few times.