Photobucket

Author Topic: cylinders  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Rev. Mcdirt

cylinders
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
Hey folks!!!! First of all, thanks for letting an ols dog like me into the fold!!!! I'm sure it'll be a hoot. I have two questions. #1. Will a Pietta cylinder fit an A.S.M frame? And #2. Are the barrel threads common between the two frames?  I called the gunsmith at Dixie Gun works, but alas, he was out o' pocket today.......

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
Re: cylinders
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
I don't know the answer to either question but;
Welcome to the forum, Rev!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
Hi Rev. Mac, first off....welcome to the forum! Now, as to your question, I built a '58 snubbie from a new CVA kit. This was assessed on the forum as being made by ASM, but NO stamps anywhere other than CVA. I just went down and tried (again) a Pietta cylinder in the CVA frame and it fits and functions. This is an older CVA. I do not know about barrel threads and didn't want to dismantle 2 revolvers....sorry! M__

Offline Rev. Mcdirt

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
Thanks guys...... I'm gonna bend the smith's ear in the morning and maybe find the answers.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »
Well welcome to the forum Rev. Mcdirt. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline West Texan

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
I have both of those.  The Pietta cylinder is to long to fit in the ASM frame. I have thought of getting a spare Pietta cylinder and have a gun smith face the front to the proper length.
The ASM on the left and Pietta on the right.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:17:48 PM by West Texan »

Offline West Texan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
You can really tell the difference as all ASM, ASP, Euroarms, lyman Remington's have trapezoidal cylinder stop slots.  Pietta has rectangle slots.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
Welcome! I second the opinion that the Pietta cylinders will not fit ASM and vice-versa. I have both (among others) and they do not interchange.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »
So, does that mean that my CVA kit gun is NOT made by ASM as originally thought? Also, originally my Kirst conversion cylinder for the Pietta wouldn't function in the snubbie. After shooting the gun a few times that cylinder now fits and functions! Guess it just needed to settle in.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 06:26:58 AM »
Hi Rev. Mcdirt, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself. How did you find this Great Forum?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
So, does that mean that my CVA kit gun is NOT made by ASM as originally thought? Also, originally my Kirst conversion cylinder for the Pietta wouldn't function in the snubbie. After shooting the gun a few times that cylinder now fits and functions! Guess it just needed to settle in.

Mazo, I've found a lot of similarity between earlier ASM and ASP firearms. Also, earlier Piettas are different that the newer (post-'90s) versions. Are there any maker's marks on the CVA kit? One I had a while back had no marking other than the ASP "DGG" on the barrel itself

Offline Rev. Mcdirt

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »
Update to my original post..... Called Deer Creek Products yesterday and procured the last A.S.M cylinder that they had in stock. I am currently keeping vigil over my mailbox, giddy like a schoolgirl!!!! Thanks for your input and again, thanks for having me!!!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »
Update to my original post..... Called Deer Creek Products yesterday and procured the last A.S.M cylinder that they had in stock. I am currently keeping vigil over my mailbox, giddy like a schoolgirl!!!! Thanks for your input and again, thanks for having me!!!!

Mine came from Deer Creek in the white (unblued) but I used Brownell's OxphoBlue on it for a very close match. And since it went on a brasser you could scarce tell the difference.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
Capt'n, My cylinder on the snubbie has rectangular bolt notches. The only stamp on the frame is CVA; I'll have to look for the rest of the barrel to check that out.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Hmmm...not much barrel left to check!