Author Topic: Uberti or Pietta Stainless Steel for Hardness  (Read 3949 times)

Offline tsafa

• Swordman, Gunman, Accountant, Gym Owner
    • Pocono Shooting
Uberti or Pietta Stainless Steel for Hardness
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
I already own the Pietta Stainless Steel. I am thinking of getting the Uberti Stainless Steel 1858 too. I read a claim somewhere by Uberti that their steel is harder. Has anyone else come across this claim?

Does anyone know if this would make sense with Stainless Steel?  I am not sure if Stainless steel is hardened by heat treatment the same way regular steel is. Is Stainless Steel quality just a mater of what and how the alloys are mixed?

Does anyone have any info on how Uberti Steel compares to Pietta steel.

I know I am nit-picking....

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:59:13 PM by tsafa »
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will till the soil for those who have not.
-anonymous

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
Re: Uberti or Pietta Stainless Steel for Hardness
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
My dad and I were having this same discussion earlier, and I'd like to know too. An engraver told us that stainless was easier to work with than mild steel because it was softer. A rep from Rossi explained the long break-in for a stainless steel barrel was due to it being harder. I know there is more than one type of Stainless but I wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between Pietta and Uberti

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
Stainless comes in varying degrees of hardness just like regular steel.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
My research indicates that Benelli owns both of these companies, and stepped into Pietta's factory to assist in quality control.  It would surprise me if the flow of materials is not now sourced from the identical supplier, and more so if not of the identical material.  On the other barrel, prior to Benelli's takeover, "cheapest supplier" was most likely the directive.

Speculation on my part, of course, my never looking at the receiving records or lab tests of any Italian factory.

For those who believe stainless is a life-long solution to corrosion, let me empty a few more chambers at the target for your pleasure.

As pointed out by Hawg, there are all types and grades of "stainless".  There are 24 different stainless grades by European standards (which presumably the Italians follow).  see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_grades
Using some examples that relate to your daily living, most cheap tableware is 18-8, some of which will show rust spots while in your dishwasher before you unload it.  304 is the most common type of stainless, and typically is non-magnetic, which gives stainless the popular patina of being non-magnetic.  But 440C is one of the hardest stainless (used in many "sturdy" knives) and is magnetic enough that your knife will disrupt your compass when trekking.  Because most stainless is non-magnetic, unwary woodsmen and boaters with a new stainless knife start to wonder why their compass says north is 90 degrees away from north.  Move your compass away from your knife, or vice-versa.

Just looking at the metal does not give enough information to determine the strength of the stainless.  But if it attracts a magnet, then it is likely in the 440 family.  If a compass is affected by one gun, but not another, I would surmise that the non-magnet gun is of lesser-strength steel.

Reloading here, and shooting another round:

How stainless protects itself:  Stainless steels contain sufficient chromium (over 10% if the manufacturer is not cheating) to form a passive film of chromium oxide.  What that means is the surface 'rusts' or 'oxides' just a bit to form a protective layer of corrosion.  You defeat the protection every time you rub the "dullness" off stainless to reach a high gloss.  Drop vinegar on a polished (and not otherwise coated) stainless and you will observe the surface etch away overnight.  Drop vinegar on a dull stainless and not much will happen by morning.  This is variable between the 24 different stainless types, of course.

This protective layer only exists when enough chromium was added at the factory, and there is oxygen present in the working environment.  In the marine environment, salt water is actively encouraged to slowly seep onto stainless prop shafts to assure a flow of fresh oxygen.  And one is ill-advised to bury stainless bolts into concrete to support a load, because in time the stainless will snap right off at the line where the concrete stops and the bolt continues.  The stuff left in the concrete will look flakey and crumbly, having rotted away for lack of oxygen.  You've heard of boats in the 80's and 90's having keels just falling off?  Every one was attached with stainless steel bolts embedded in the lead/epoxy keels.  The industry thereafter switched back to bronze, or even mild steel!

Probably more than you wanted to know about stainless, eh?  Range clear.

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Great read there Classanr!  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
My dad and I were having this same discussion earlier, and I'd like to know too. An engraver told us that stainless was easier to work with than mild steel because it was softer. A rep from Rossi explained the long break-in for a stainless steel barrel was due to it being harder. I know there is more than one type of Stainless but I wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between Pietta and Uberti

Hi PaleHawk, stainless steel is harder to machine than regular steel, it's gummy. There are stories that when Colt Firearms first began to use stainless steel the machinists would call in sick for stainless steel gun production runs. Today there are some free machining stainless steels, but I suspect that the black powder stainless steel revolvers are cast and then either heat treated or precipitation hardened after final machining.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Thanks, guys

Offline tsafa

• Swordman, Gunman, Accountant, Gym Owner
    • Pocono Shooting
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
Thanks Classanr and everyone else for contributing info.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will till the soil for those who have not.
-anonymous

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
My research indicates that Benelli owns both of these companies, and stepped into Pietta's factory to assist in quality control.

Beretta Holding owns both Beretta and Benelli. I haven't seen anything to indicate they own Pietta.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
RESEARCH MALFUNCTION!  RESEARCH MALFUNCTION!  ERASE BELOW FROM BRAIN:

My research indicates that Benelli owns both of these companies, and stepped into Pietta's factory to assist in quality control.  It would surprise me if the flow of materials is not now sourced from the identical supplier, and more so if not of the identical material.  On the other barrel, prior to Benelli's takeover, "cheapest supplier" was most likely the directive.

Speculation on my part, of course, my never looking at the receiving records or lab tests of any Italian factory.  Classanr

RESEARCH MALFUNCTION!  RESEARCH MALFUNCTION!  ERASE ABOVE FROM BRAIN:

CORRECTION FOLLOWS:

Uberti, Benelli, Beretta make a family.
Pietta connection cannot be substantiated beyond rumors.

Consequently, my response above to OP should be tossed into the "flatten this brass" pile.

Well, at least I wasn't waving a loaded gun around.  Ya can't un-shoot somebody.
I apologize for letting my poor research run amok on the 'net.

(O+

Thank you Hawg for being polite.
You could have lit a match and watch the gas flame.
 :0K

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »
My '78 Uberti SS target is made of good hard stuf, looks like plenty life left,my new improved Uberti has a charcoal blue cylinder made from putty.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
Bumping this one.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
+1  (?^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
Classanr's a card.  Even two years ago he was.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.