Author Topic: Remington Navy  (Read 9381 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Remington Navy
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
A few weeks ago I ran across this Remington Navy model from Lyman.   I didn't buy it that day but went back later because I haven't seen too many of them.  The revolver is made by Uberti with a Lyman address on the barrel.   I like the size but it does seem a little small compared to the Pietta Army models I own.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Remington Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:20:56 PM »
Good pics mike.  What is your opinion on the Pietta Remington .36 Navy with the 6.5 inch Barrel?  I keep wondering about the historical accuracy of that Pietta version.  (Same frame as Pietta's Army)

Is that Uberti considered a 'medium frame'?
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
One of the reasons I haven't purchased the Pietta Navy model or the Pietta Police model that the size of the frames are just not right.   I am not a real purist when it comes to the historical accuracy but I do like to stay close to the original concept that these replicas are supposed to represent.   I am not opposed to the bigger Pietta frames,  I have considered buying them in the past.
I guess you would call this one a medium frame.  It's smaller than the .44 cal Army model but larger than the .31 cal pocket Remington.   

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »
The main thing that gets me with both models from both companies is the trigger guard is right up against my middle finger. It's not a big deal but someone with bigger hands would notice it more than others.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
Mike116 --  Those are really nice photos of your Lyman Remington Navy, really looks good.  If you, or any member,  were able to post a photo of a comparison of that one with a Remington Army it would be appreciated.  I am interested in the size difference between that Navy and an Army.  I have one Pietta Rem Navy (identical frame and cylinder size as the Pietta .44 Army)  and am interested in how it compares with the Uberti/Lyman .36 navy that you posted.  You did write that it is a medium frame.

As I mentioned I am very curious about the historical accuracy, if any,  of the Pietta .36 Remington Navy. It seems that Remington, in addition to the medium frame models,  made a couple types of the .36 Navy in a large frame, one a double action and another called the New Model Belt.  Comparative photos of those with the full size Army would be very informative.

You’re making some powerful posts, thanks.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
I'll try to get some photo's of the Navy and Army side by side.  Might have time later tonight or tomorrow.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:52:22 PM »
Here's a quick side by side comparison of the 1858 Army and Navy models.   The biggest difference is the size of the grip frame near the top where your thumb wraps around it.  The base of the grips are nearly identical.  Keep in mind the comparison is made with an Uberti Navy and a Pietta Army models.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »
Mike116  --  Thank you very much for putting those up so quickly.  It’s appreciated.  There really is quite a pronounced difference in size between the two revolvers ... as you had indicated.  That .36 is a pretty thing.  Your engraved Pietta .44 looks great too.  The comparative photo helps a lot in understanding the many Remington model differences.

Thanks again bud. 

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 05:38:55 AM »
My son has one of the Lyman Uberti Navy guns...it's a beauty.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »
Mike thanks for the post, I am looking for and additional .36 and
this just might fill my "wanitnow " list. (T^
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
I would also recommend the Lyman/Uberti version rather than the Pietta which uses the same size frame and cylinder O.D. as the .44...just with a shorter barrel and loading lever.
The Lyman version is a physically smaller gun (as you can see in the pix) but unless you have catcher's mitts for hands, it's quite manageable using the 'pinky-curl' method.
My son's is a tack driver.
Not sure if Uberti is still selling this as a new item? They don't list it on their website now.
They come up fairly frequently on GunBroker
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
Very nice gun. I'd buy one if I ran across one.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Thanks for the pics!  That is a great find, there.
If anyone currently makes a true, Navy-sized Remington Navy, it's a very well-kept secret.  I would like to have one, as well as a Remington New Model Police, which is smaller yet.  Originals are still out there, but most of the Police models I see have been converted, they're expensive, and I wouldn't feel so good about using one the way I use my repros, which is hard use with occasional modifications.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
I like the handle taper of the Navy slightly more.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
I can't say much more than WOW! what a fine pair of Remmies mike. Thinks for the pics. (T^ Watch out for Johnnie he might have to drink half gallon of water when he see's them.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.