Author Topic: A wealth of Remington Info  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
A wealth of Remington Info
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
I was perusing the interwebs today and came across a great trove of information on our beloved Remington revolvers, and in fact, an exhaustive tome on many US manufactured arms prior to 1900. It's an older, privately hosted website whose creator speaks English as a 2nd language, so please bear with the many typos and strange turns of phrase used (and the occasional dead link). That notwithstanding, it was too useful not to pass along to the members here! 

This specific link is to arms produced by E. Remington & Sons prior to 1900.  It includes descriptions, patent applications with drawings, histories, and photographs of exemplars.
http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/z-html/company-E/E.%20Remington%20&%20Sons/E.%20Remington%20&%20Sons.html

This link below provides access to a grand list of other American arms manufacturers, from artisan 'smiths to the larger commercial ventures with which we are more familiar:
http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/Manufacturers/START.html

The first link introduced me to a few Remington arms of which I had not been previously aware - the more interesting of which include the Remington Rifle Cane, and the 1871 Army Single Shot Rolling Block in .50 cal.   I have a feeling I will lose several productive hours allowing my noggin to sponge up the delicious juices of knowledge flowing from that site.   :P
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
Re: A wealth of Remington Info
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:40:34 PM »
Well shucks, fellas!  I guess this site has been linked to on our forum several times in the past, although not for the last couple years.  Guess I should become better acquainted with the search function...  :-[
At least this new-found visibility will help other relative newcomers such as myself more easily locate great information.  I am therefore unrepentant!   {L*
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the link...even if it's already been referenced. Always check "The Library" for info...there is a ton of good info and links there!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »
Always in order to reference that link.  Looked at it again today and found a new (to me) piece of information.  The photos of the New Model Army are of one that reputedly belonged to Quantrill by way of Bloody Bill Anderson.  Two psychopaths that it would have been fitting, proper and a pleasure to grease.  Not cause they were Rebs, no, but rather because they were just plain bad homicidal maniacs.  They killed prisoners and noncombatants. Wish my great grand pappy had brought that back from the Missouri/Kentucky troubles, make one hella antler on the wall.

Glad you put it up Boonedock.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »
Sounds like good links!  I still haven't made my way through the library yet! reading so much and doing what I can around the place now that good weather is showing up.

Reading a neat book about Red Cloud at present, almost done, but it has been a fun read full of some pretty good info. I have a product called "Book Darts". They are small bronze points that clip onto pages to mark particular sentances. I hate to use hi lighters or underline. These make it very easy to mark interesting instances, words, or events. I take note of the history books I read, and then when I'm done, I'll research it on the web or by getting other books. If I had been blessed with a good memory instead of the interest, I coulda been a history major instead of a broken down old welder. Oh well, LOL
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.