Photobucket

Author Topic: My New Remington from Uberti, advice please!  (Read 4351 times)

Offline sh00ter787

My New Remington from Uberti, advice please!
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
Picked up my new Stainless model a week or so ago, got to take her out yesterday and all is well apart from the front sight, shooting 8"low at 25yrds with 30gn fffg with a 454 ball.

Front sight is as tall as my 8" barreled 58, will need trimming down quite a bit, but which profile is usually done when trimming? Just flat or retain the curve front and back? I appreciate personal preference will probably win but which profile would you do?

Regards

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
Re: My New Remington from Uberti, advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
In that particular case it doesn't really matter much.  Here's why;
The sight is rounded so far down that you'd not be able to take enough of it down to end up with a different style of sight.

I like a flat face toward the shooter, a sharp corner at the top, rounding down and away in front.  That prevents nearly all chance of reflections distorting your sight picture.  It's also a little problematic when drawing from a holster, should the sharp corner at the top come in contact with leather.  That rounded sight is a compromise, favoring easier holstering and un-holstering at the expense of a sharp sight picture.  See photo, though you can see I rounded it a bit at the back for holstering purposes.  More compromise.

You don't really have that option, unless you were to replace the sight altogether, or file a big notch in the back of it.

I'd file it straight down flat, with a slight angle to it so it falls away slightly in front, and leave it at that.  It'll still work fine in a holster and actually give you a slightly better sight picture, as far as glare is concerned, than the unaltered sight provides.  Better yet would be to install an orange insert, but that's getting a lot more technical.  I've found that the stainless-on-stainless can be hard to see, and so I'd be sooting up that front sight every time I took it out shooting.

Offline sh00ter787

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply  :)

I like the profile in that picture, my first thought was getting it out of the holster as it will mainly be used for CAS, but as you say a little rounding is a good compromise.
I believe I will have to take off all of the top half of the sight to bring point of aim up to where I want it, which may mean re-profiling the width of the lower section as well.

I was surprised at the sight picture tbh, it seems very clear although it is stainless, I was expecting to struggle and need to black it out. We will see how that pans out at the other range I shoot CAS at, as it is very much in the shade as opposed to the sunshine I get where I shoot paper.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
Picked up my new Stainless model a week or so ago, got to take her out yesterday and all is well apart from the front sight, shooting 8"low at 25yrds with 30gn fffg with a 454 ball.

Front sight is as tall as my 8" barreled 58, will need trimming down quite a bit, but which profile is usually done when trimming? Just flat or retain the curve front and back? I appreciate personal preference will probably win but which profile would you do?

Regards

Hi sh00ter, I suggest that you have someone else try firing your revolver from 25yds before you take a file to that front sight. Almost all 1858 reproductions shoot high, not low.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
Here's my idea of a near "ultimate" front sight.  Sharp at top rear, falling away forward, with a graved line in the front face, filled with a contrasting die (white in this case, against the black iron).  It's on a long gun, so of course I don't care about holstering.  No matter what you're aiming at, snow or coal or anything in between, you always have contrast.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »
It doesn't matter what "someone else" thinks is a good profile. It is your gun, YOU are the one shooting it. In my way of thinking, I would try to keep the profile as close to traditional as possible (like a stainless steel gun is period correct!). In any case, I would shoot the gun some more before trimming the sight. You can retain the curved look if it suits your way of sighting. Since you are shooting CAS, why not try to keep it traditional? Just my 2 cents worth, and probably worth nearly that amount. M__

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
+1 on mazo's advice above.

I also concur with ssb’s suggestion of having someone else shoot with that new beauty for a cross reference and double check before anyone starts filing on the front sight.

You got a nice one shooter787, congrats to ya.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Since your gun is a Uberti, the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel. If you want to "black out" the front sight, you could swap it for a blued one.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
None of my BP revolvers shoot POA, with the exception of my Target Remmy with adjustable sights. I generally fire a few "opening shots" to remember which gun I'm shooting and where it hits, then revert to Kentucky windage.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sh00ter787

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I will see how it goes and post any updates, I hadn't thought of seeing how it shoots for others!
I don't want to go radical (as in inserts etc) as I plan for this to be my main CAS revolver. Unfortunately I have to wait a couple of weeks to take her out again as I am out of the country this weekend :(

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
Hi sh00ter787, Me? I have never filed or cut down any of my front sights. I just get out there and shoot the guns. Then I just move the gun to whichever way the first shot hits the target. I know which of my guns will hit the targets.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline sh00ter787

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
lol, it is also a first for me! My 8" hits bang on POA at 25yrds, I would normally just aim off but it isn't even minute of can  ;)

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
hey sh00ter, I'm tossing my hat in with the others - no need to file it down.  Just spend some more quality time getting to know that purdy lady and her predilections!

BTW, like your avatar ~ Leon the Professional.  Loved that movie and haven't seen it in ages.
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
Just a heads up...Leon the Professional is on Netflix right now.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
Hi sh00ter! I like your new Remmy.(T^ Like others before me I'd shoot it some more before I did anything. Have you tried different loads other than 30 grs? or how bout .457 rbs?
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.