Photobucket

Author Topic: My first front stuffer ~ Numrich Arms Swivel Barrel Double .45  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
Re: My first front stuffer! (Guess the make!)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
No worries, Mazo.  I knew somebody here had one, just couldn't remember who.

I have not been able to find any manufacturer literature or information about this rifle, and what little information I did find on the internet just called it a swivel or rotating breech, so I doubt that's the actual nomenclature used by Numrich.  I haven't found any indication it was marketed as an Hopkins & Allen, like several of their other offerings of the same time period - apparently Numrich bought out H&A's tooling and stock, continuing manufacture under license for a few years.

I looked at the forums on the Numrich site, and apparently even they don't have any schematics, load data, quantities or exact dates produced.  Numrich still has many replacement parts for the lock, listed as H&A (except the main spring).

What loads have you use in yours?  I haven't measured the bore on mine, but what I read indicated Numrich barrels ran a little tight.  Does a .440 PRB over 40-60 grains sound about right?
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
Brownie points! I think the laundress keeps track of those!?  :-X   ->i
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Boondock

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
Brownie points! I think the laundress keeps track of those!?  :-X   ->i

Dear Pat/Rick,

Please accept my approbations, and keep thy personal hygiene (or lack thereof) betwixt thyself, thine dirty britches, and ye laundress!

Sincerely,
Boondock

->i (?^
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:53:46 PM by Boondock »
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
Why does it have 2 ram rods for?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Boondock

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
Why does it have 2 ram rods for?

I've got two ideas on this:
1) For when you run out of arrows
2) For tactical reloads

Actually, I think that other than balancing out the looks of the rifle on both sides, two ramrods would help greatly in remembering which barrel you were loading, and where you were in the process of each.  Might go towards preventing a double (or null) charge.

Sorry to all who were expecting more pictures, I've been quite bogged down on my job search today and fighting with Unemployment.  Rest assured, I will post up all the goodies as soon as I am able!
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Boondock

Re: My first front stuffer ~ Numrich Arms Swivel Barrel Double .45
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
Finally posted the long promised photos to the 2nd post in this thread.  Sorry to keep y'all waiting!  :-[

Mazo (or anybody else that's owned one of these oddities) ~ suggested loads?  Trying to get info on these and their preferred diet is no small task.  As I stated a while back, my guess is a .440 PRB, but unsure of a good starting charge.  Think I'd be able to use T7 FFFg safely?  I have plenty of that, and some Pyro P.  Not looking to get a pound of FFg or Pyro RS until I have another rifle to share it with.
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
Bumping
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
Since the barrels are short, I don't think you will gain anything by trying to stoke the ol' gal up as powder will just be ejected unburned. I would try the .440" ball and 45 grains BP or the equivelent amount of T7/Pyrodex to start.