Photobucket

Author Topic: .44 1851 on sale at Cabelas  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

Re: .44 1851 on sale at Cabelas
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
Johnnie,
          Too bad your first experiences with Colt type percussion guns were bad ones. From what I've seen on the internet, they can be made to run reliably. I also have to think that the originals when brand new and fired with the period caps were fairly reliable or else history would have left more accounts of their failings.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
Hi Johnnie, the South could have won the war at Gettysburg. Pickett's charge could have succeeded if Lee's artillery was on target and took out the North's artillery. The South overshot with the largest artillery barrage ever on the North American continent. The cannon fire was heard in Washington. The BP smoke from the artillery obscured the battlefield until most of Pickett's men were at the fence midway from their objective at the trees ahead of cemetery ridge. It was simply bad shooting.

Regards,
Richard
  Another factor to the failure of Pickets charge had to be an upstart Union general by the name of Custer who stopped Jeb Stuart's confederate cavalry from breaking through the Union rear and meeting Picket's men.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 11:53:18 PM »
The Colts I have don't give me a lot of trouble when shooting them. I do get a jam once in a blue moon but it also happens with the Remmys if a spent cap gets in the right or wrong place. Johnnie must not have been holding his mouth right or something. :P I do like the looks of the Colts, open top and all. I think their just fun to shoot. We don't all like the same cars, or trucks why would these guns be any different. The 51s are good feeling shooters in hand, and the 60s are fine revolvers to shoot also. The Remmys is just a plain cool gun and to be able to swap out one spent cylinder for a fresh loaded one is one of the reasons folks flock to them as much as they do. Wish I could buy a few more but as one has already said on this thread "financial difficulties" don't go away if your still buying stuff and let the bills go unpaid. :(
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 12:31:23 AM »
In all my shooting of 1851 and 1860 Colt revolvers I've never had a cap jam. And I've been shooting them since 1969.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."