Photobucket

Author Topic: Penobscot bow  (Read 1525 times)

Offline CascadianCool

Penobscot bow
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
Thought I would share some pictures of the Penobscot bow I built from a kit.

From this kit,

To this fun bow.

If you want to see the build, including the disaster of the first version breaking, you can view it over at BCUSA where I did a build thread. http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/146972-Penobscot-bow-build

Hope folks enjoy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Penobscot bow
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
Well, now...that's different-looking.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline CascadianCool

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Well, now...that's different-looking.

Several different Native American tribes made this style bow. Basically it is a primitive compound bow. By adjusting the helper bow sting I can dial in about a 10-15# difference in draw weight. It also makes drawing the bow feel a lot less poundage than it really is. I have it tuned in to about 50# but it feels like a 40-35# draw.

As soon as I saw this still bow, I had wanted one. But they are not very common, and not many bowyers make them. So the best way to get one reasonably priced and how I wanted was to make one. Thankfully there was a kit I could go off of to help speed up the process.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 07:03:15 AM »
WOW! I never seen a bow like that one. Great job on building it CascadianCool!  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:02 AM »
Nice work.   I see arrows in a target but no photos of you shooting it.    I'd like to see the bow in your hand at full draw.   It is always satisfying to use something you build on your own.    Nice job on the two tone overlays by the way.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
I spent a lot of time two years ago researching Asian bow designs, because I wanted to build a bow entirely out of bamboo. There is a vaguely similar design from the ancient Malaysian peninsula that usilized a smaller, reversed, bow to strengthen the center of the bow where it would be most likely to break. It is in one of my books, but I can't remember what it was called, and can't find it online.
All I know is that entire bow-making episode was a bit of a disaster.

Offline CascadianCool

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
WOW! I never seen a bow like that one. Great job on building it CascadianCool!  {?|

Thanks, they are a fun style, that for some reason is not done nearly enough. There are only a few bow makers doing it, I really hope more pick it up in the future.

Nice work.   I see arrows in a target but no photos of you shooting it.    I'd like to see the bow in your hand at full draw.   It is always satisfying to use something you build on your own.    Nice job on the two tone overlays by the way.

Thanks, sadly no one to hold the camera to take pictures while I am drawing and a not enough hands to do it myself. I am just using a crappy cell phone camera, I don't have a real one, and it doesn't even have a timer delay or anything special.

I spent a lot of time two years ago researching Asian bow designs, because I wanted to build a bow entirely out of bamboo. There is a vaguely similar design from the ancient Malaysian peninsula that usilized a smaller, reversed, bow to strengthen the center of the bow where it would be most likely to break. It is in one of my books, but I can't remember what it was called, and can't find it online.

I had not heard of a Malaysian double bow. I know they made some great horse bows, but had not heard of a traditional double bow outside of North America. Would be cool if you could find the name of it as I would love to learn more as I really like this double bow style, so finding another example to study would be great. But if you can't find it don't stress, I can understand how things like to hide when you look for them. LOL.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »

Thanks, they are a fun style, that for some reason is not done nearly enough. There are only a few bow makers doing it, I really hope more pick it up in the future.

Thanks, sadly no one to hold the camera to take pictures while I am drawing and a not enough hands to do it myself. I am just using a crappy cell phone camera, I don't have a real one, and it doesn't even have a timer delay or anything special.

I had not heard of a Malaysian double bow. I know they made some great horse bows, but had not heard of a traditional double bow outside of North America. Would be cool if you could find the name of it as I would love to learn more as I really like this double bow style, so finding another example to study would be great. But if you can't find it don't stress, I can understand how things like to hide when you look for them. LOL.

The little bow had a pronounced arch and was bound to the large bow by some type of wrapping. It had a strong bend and it was strung like a miniature bow. the tips of both the miniature bow and the large bow were some type of horn or bone, but the picture was black and white, so it was hard to tell. Other than that it is pretty similar to what you have there.

I found out pretty quickly that the kind of bamboo we have down here either wasn't a goot material, or I didn't know how to process it.

I only ended up with one working prototype and it was fantastic - for about a month.